Hardware Wii U to sell below 20 million by 2019

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hate when people say that about the Dreamcast - that system was neither underpowered nor did it do poorly - it was pulled off the market because SEGA ran out of money and it was either this or bankrupcy. The Dreamcast was carrying the weight after two failed systems, the 32X and the Saturn, it tried valiantly and died prematurely. The Wii U is not in the same league of failure - Nintendo has all the financial backing you could dream of and still fails spectacularly. This is Wii U's third year on the market and so far it shipped approximately 9.2 million units. In the same time frame with SEGA on the verge of bankrupcy with no money to support their console the Dreamcast sold (not shipped!) 10.6 million. What does that tell you?

Didn't the PS2 pose a serious threat to the Dreamcast though? I could have sworn it was a contributing factor to its demise.

MarioFanatic64

The guy who does things
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
First Party games have been pretty "meh" so far. Aside from Mario Kart 8 and Smash Bros. which continue to be rad, First Party games have all been simply satisfactory. Nothing exemplary.

This problem would have been solved if we got:
-An original Zelda before a remake.
-A genuine 3D Mario instead of New Super Mario Bros. 3D Super Mario 3D World.
-Less budget-quality 2D platformers for more variety.
-More games. It's been almost two and a half years and you can still practically count all the currently released First Party games with your fingers.

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
First Party games have been pretty "meh" so far. Aside from Mario Kart 8 and Smash Bros. which continue to be rad, First Party games have all been simply satisfactory. Nothing exemplary.

-More games. It's been almost two and a half years and you can still practically count all the currently released First Party games with your fingers.
Spot on.

Further, whatever comes after Wii U has to also carry the weight of the Wii U and that's not good considering what happened to the Dreamcast...

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip

Exactly.

Nintendo for Wii U owners released Super Luigi U which is a slightly harder NSMBU but what did 3DS get? Luigi's Dark Moon.

I hate it that Nintendo's done fuck all for their failure named Wii U and then games worthy of being in HD are downscaled to 3DS' 240p.

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I liked few games for Wii U but I am not buying Wii U System at all. I will wait for Wii U System to lower the price or at the pawn store. Sorry, Nintendo. You fail.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
I liked few games for Wii U but I am not buying Wii U System at all. I will wait for Wii U System to lower the price or at the pawn store. Sorry, Nintendo. You fail.
If they at least made it possible to scroll through the Settings with a WUPC/Wiimote it would make the console feel more open as in this situation you'd just go with Wii U games that support the WUPC.

Unfortunately, even then in Mario 3D World (fully compatible with WUPC) there's the bonus Captain Toad stages which require the GamePad.

Nintendo really screwed up big time.

Harsky

Madmin
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I still find it funny how Nintendo says that they learnt from 3DS's less than stellar launch and will make sure the Wii U's launch will be better.

I think what made it worse was that Nintendo overcame the 3DS's problems and turned it around from people thinking it was a failure into a great handheld. Wii U on the other hand felt like they bet on the Wii name carrying the system so that Nintendo hoped that they could rely on 3rd party developers to push shovelware on it while they counted the money and release their games every now and again.

I don't want to turn this into a, "They should've changed the name" argument because it's always been done to death but I think what absolutely prevented the Wii U from being a success was marketing.

I really hope that if Nintendo decides to make a new console, they drop everything associated with Wii/Wii U. Stop showing TV adverts of people using Wii remotes. Yes, it might be an advantage to people who already owns tons of Wii accessories and controllers but it also confuses consumers when you show adverts where people are playing Wii U games with a Wiimote.

Reactions: WiiCube_2013

naddel81

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
why didn't anybody notice that the graphic is total BS?

at the moment the ps3 is having 50 million installed consoles. and in 4 years there are 50 million broken?

I know what they are trying to tell with the graphic, but it should be "sales" not "installed consoles".

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

RevPokemon

GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
why didn't anybody notice that the graphic is total BS?

at the moment the ps3 is having 50 million installed consoles. and in 4 years there are 50 million broken?

I know what they are trying to tell with the graphic, but it should be "sales" not "installed consoles".
Another thing to note is very rarely are sales always consistent as their are often events that help (like a release of a new hot game) or hurt (like the Sony psn hacking scandal)

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Locke644

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looking at the trends of the current sales, I'd say that the Wii U will sadly be a big flop comparatively to their other systems. Now I know that the console is still technically in the early stages, but when the sales of the system are just under the sales of another that was deemed as a failure (the GC in its 2nd year) then ya got problems. I'm debating whether to actually get one or to stick with my wii. I heard that vwii modding was available, but there really isn't any wiiu exclusive titles that I want to play or can justify spending 200$+50-60$ just to have.

Anyway, when you have the CEO of the company coming out and saying that they themselves are to blame for the poor sales, then you know something is definitely wrong with their infrastructure. The WiiU's release was terrible and there are still people who cannot differentiate between the Wii and WiiU. When I first heard about the system, I didn't even know that it WAS their next-gen system (even though the internals are absolutely terrible compared to their competition). Not only that, but when 3rd parties are flat out rejecting your system because it cannot perform to par with the other systems, that just leaves you in a world of hurt. Nintendo can't rely on their IP's forever to keep them afloat. Yet, for some reason, they still make the same mistakes and think they will still do fine.

I really do think one reason for their terrible sales is that nobody wants to buy the thing since there is not enough advertisement going on for their games. Youtube has not only helped, but I think it's actually been the sole reason for the success of some games (FNAF being a good example). On the other hand, Nintendo severely limits what you can and cannot put on youtube to the point to where they want to be the sole profiteers of any Nintendo related content and shut those down who won't comply. This, I think, has put Nintendo in a very negative light since the gaming community is completely different than it was during the GC years and even the early Wii years.

But, they still don't seem to understand any of it. They continue to release terrible consoles that are piss-poor in terms of capabilities, they keep relying on the same old IP's, they still continue to be jerks about sharing content on youtube (although making their BS program where they make 30% of the ad revenue when NO OTHER GAME COMPANY requires this to share their content), they continue to make poor decisions about their consoles, they continue to rely on their handhelds instead of investing in more sound technology for their consoles, etc...

Either way, when push comes to shove, they will have to make a decision to either start changing the ways they run their company or be present in court when they are forced to file bankruptcy.

end ranting :|

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
The WiiU's release was terrible and there are still people who cannot differentiate between the Wii and WiiU.
It doesn't help that the American Wii U spines were almost identical to the Wii, with a little of blue in the top and the U logo otherwise it's pretty much the same as the Wii.

Taken from a Google search:

DqUdgqD.jpg

Nintendo really screwed themselves during this gen.

Btw, worst Nintendo console - N64 or Wii U? Still N64.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
I hate when people say that about the Dreamcast - that system was neither underpowered
Ummm, yes it was. It was the weakest of that generation. Just because it was the first to come out doesn't mean it wasn't underpowered. That's like saying the Wii U isn't underpowered.

To the OP, it's ridiculous to say that this will happen.

PS: Ignore Guild, he's a troll.

Reactions: the_randomizer

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Yeah been there had that no fun