Trophies
XP
Country
United States
neoUicon.png

Introducing neoU - A Wii U Website and Gamepad Display
Edit: Link to the site here:
https://neou.neocities.org/

Over the weekend, I took on a fun project. My Wii U gamepad has been mostly sitting on its charging cradle lately, with the console itself not seeing as much action as it used to. It felt like such a waste to see the gamepad just gathering dust and occupying space without serving any real purpose. So, I decided to breathe new life into it, and that's how neoU came into existence.

Now I don't know much about homebrew development, but I do know a bit of HTML and Javascript, so I decided to take advantage of the fact that neocities.org still loads on the Wii U (hence the name). neoU is essentially a clock app I've crafted, tailored specifically for the display of the Wii U's gamepad. It's important to note that the website does not render correctly on conventional web browsers since it was fine-tuned for the gamepad's unique dimensions and characteristics.

This project is still very much a work in progress (WIP). I'm working on a 'Pages' section containing links to websites that mesh well with the Wii U browser. With many sites, even simple ones like GameFAQs, not compatible with the Wii U's browser anymore, I'm eager to hear your suggestions. If you've stumbled upon sites that run smoothly on the gamepad, or think there are sites worth visiting, please share!

Oh, and for those who might keep their gamepad in the kitchen like a digital clock, I added a little bonus: a kitchen timer! It's inspired by the one from Pokémon Diamond and Pearl's Pokétch. Thought it'd be cool to have the clock and timer duo if it's already sitting there.

Also gave weather display a shot, but man, the Wii U's browser is... let's just say, super picky. Still figuring that one out.

I did attempt to integrate a weather display feature, but alas, the Wii U's browser restrictions posed a significant challenge. I haven't found a workaround yet, but I'm hopeful!

Want to contribute?
I'm looking for ideas!

Do you know a site that works on the Wii U browser? Link it below.

Want to contribute a Wallpaper? Here's a list of requirements:
-width=854, height=400
-Keep in mind the clock is on the right side of the page
-Keep it Wii U/Nintendo/Tasteful

Are you a webdev? The Wii U's browser is quite a fickle beast, so if anyone else takes it upon themselves to create websites for the Wii U, let me know.

Screenshots:
timer.PNG

clock.PNG

pages.PNG

Last edited by 86houdini,

86houdini

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
[Reserved]
image.png

Changelog
-08/20/23-
Added several new wallpapers, Devil's Third, Xenoblade, Animal Crossing, and more! 18 total now
Adjusted the clock to be more visible from further away, the formatting looks significantly better
overhauled the pages page
added a big mode

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I've added the specifications for new wallpapers to the main post, mainly being width=854, height=400.
I was thinking about the fonts and size so I could modify the general presentation to something that suits me better as I use eyeglasses and prefer big letters for ease of viewing.

86houdini

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was thinking about the fonts and size so I could modify the general presentation to something that suits me better as I use eyeglasses and prefer big letters for ease of viewing.
Originally I wanted to have it support multiple fonts like this, but no matter the code I tried, the fonts always rendered to the Wii U's default system font.

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Originally I wanted to have it support multiple fonts like this, but no matter the code I tried, the fonts always rendered to the Wii U's default system font.
Then it might take some more steps to achieve what I would like to do, like replacing the system font, but that might break something and render it into a bricked console/gamepad.

Thanks anyway, for your time and for the idea.

86houdini

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Then it might take some more steps to achieve what I would like to do, like replacing the system font, but that might break something and render it into a bricked console/gamepad.

Thanks anyway, for your time and for the idea.
I'm currently testing a big mode button that will make the clock take up most of the screen! It's not a perfect solution but it should help make this more accessible :D

Edit:
If you click the Wii U icon, there's a button for "Big Mode", I tried to make it a dynamic button but the Wii U is quite fickle, so instead it takes you to another webpage were the clock takes up the entire gamepad screen.

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I'm currently testing a big mode button that will make the clock take up most of the screen! It's not a perfect solution but it should help make this more accessible :D

Edit:
If you click the Wii U icon, there's a button for "Big Mode", I tried to make it a dynamic button but the Wii U is quite fickle, so instead it takes you to another webpage were the clock takes up the entire gamepad screen.
Thanks a lot for this! Will come in handy for sure!

Reactions: 86houdini

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: @BakerMan can one play cod from hen ps3?