Hacking Wii U System Update 5.0 released

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm guessing update via disc? From a game that requires 4.1.0.

Oh yeah.. What kind of game ? Heh.

Like with apple and iOS derpiness, I don't think you can, unless you specifically update using a disc, and even then I don't know of any that would have it that new.

Yeah.. If you know what kind of game that does it ?

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Future explination!

I put in Nintendo Land disc to play and then it started to auto-update. I just put in the disc, nothing else. Stand By was off!

NWPlayer123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I do not, it's only been out for 3 months and I don't think any game needs it but you might be able to find one with it, but you might be able to find one with v4.0.0, looking on google you might just want to pick up Wind Waker HD, it looks like it has SOME version of update, but I can't find out which one so I would ask around.
Could you expand on this so I can feel better? How has it only partially broken the exploit and not fully?

Well as you would expect, the update changed quite a lot of code addresses to add the quick boot menu, and if we don't know what addresses specific functions are at we can't use them for anything. We have to blindly figure out where they might be.

Reactions: KiiWii

KiiWii

Editorial Team
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom

I read that Wind Waker HD and Rayman Legends have updates on disc ( I could be wrong, just going off what I read). You could try compare the date they came out to the dates of nintendos online updates and see if there is a correlation.

I cannot find a wiki for disc updates listing.

It would be useful though :)

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I'm guessing update via disc? From a game that requires 4.1.0.
pretty sure mk has 4.1.0
You can turn off standby in the settings AFAIK, I don't have it on anyways; no standby. I don't understand how this is an issue if you just turn it off in the settings.
doesn't work mine is turned off and it still tried to update.

NWPlayer123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I read that Wind Waker HD and Rayman Legends have updates on disc ( I could be wrong, just going off what I read). You could try compare the date they came out to the dates of nintendos online updates and see if there is a correlation.

Once we actually have full access to the Wii U and games are easily obtainable, I'm sure someone will document what versions are on certain discs, but for now when we have absolutely no idea it's not so easy. But it looks like Rayman Legends wouldn't even have v4.0.0 since it came out before the update. Wind Waker HD might, but I wouldn't know for sure.

Reactions: KiiWii

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How the hell are you supposed to stop the updates and still go online, that makes no sense to me. Unless you load up into vWii, and bypass it that way, then go go the Wii U menu from vWii. I love how people aren't able to answer the questions I post about this.

If standby is disabled, why is this an issue?

Teamscriptkiddies claim to have a way to prevent updating and still go online, but I would take it with a pinch of salt....

And how would you do that? Wouldn't going to vWii during boot up, then to Wii U bypass it at all? From there you would simply disable online by deleting the connections. There HAS to be a way to turn on the console and circumvent the update.

Edit: Why the hell did I buy MK 8 then?

All he did was hold B to get to vWii, then back from vWii to the Wii U menu. I'd imagine blacklisting might work as well in the router settings.

Bug_Checker_

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Once we actually have full access to the Wii U and games are easily obtainable, I'm sure someone will document what versions are on certain discs, but for now when we have absolutely no idea it's not so easy. But it looks like Rayman Legends wouldn't even have v4.0.0 since it came out before the update. Wind Waker HD might, but I wouldn't know for sure.

Many,many wiiu discs have updates but you will never notice them if your wiiu is at the discs update partition version number or above that version.

KiiWii

Editorial Team
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
How the hell are you supposed to stop the updates and still go online, that makes no sense to me. Unless you load up into vWii, and bypass it that way, then go go the Wii U menu from vWii. I love how people aren't able to answer the questions I post about this.

If standby is disabled, why is this an issue?

And how would you do that? Wouldn't going to vWii during boot up, then to Wii U bypass it at all? From there you would simply disable online by deleting the connections. There HAS to be a way to turn on the console and circumvent the update.

Edit: Why the hell did I buy MK 8 then?

http://gbatemp.net/threads/bypass-system-updates-and-still-access-wii-u-mode.364211/

IDK

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
So, is there no way to blacklist the server's IP address in the router at all? The http://gbatemp.net/threads/blocking-wii-u-system-updates-by-url-blacklist-possible.350663/ thread method doesn't work at all apparently, so surely, there's a way to block it? Why the hell did I even buy Mario Kart 8 if I can't go online anymore, I mean, this doesn't bode well at all, the only workaround apparently booting up in vWii then going Wii U. JoostinOnline any way to circumvent this?
Not that I know of. However, there will always be another exploit. It may not be worth losing online.

MichiS97

"Leftist snowflake milennial"
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I think that the browser exploit won't have any effect on the public in terms of homebrew so yeah, I guess I'll update

GorTesK

Mad Hatter
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
So, is there no way to blacklist the server's IP address in the router at all? The http://gbatemp.net/threads/blocking-wii-u-system-updates-by-url-blacklist-possible.350663/ thread method doesn't work at all apparently, so surely, there's a way to block it? Why the hell did I even buy Mario Kart 8 if I can't go online anymore, I mean, this doesn't bode well at all, the only workaround apparently booting up in vWii then going Wii U. JoostinOnline any way to circumvent this?

well I dont know about mk8, but I have been blocking the ip mentioned in that topic for months and since then my wiiu never updated... It sees the updates, tries to download them, but then fails to do so

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well I dont know about mk8, but I have been blocking the ip mentioned in that topic for months and since then my wiiu never updated... It sees the updates, tries to download them, but then fails to do so

But some of the people on there said the IP address didn't work, so I don't know if it's all that reliable of a method.

Not that I know of. However, there will always be another exploit. It may not be worth losing online.

Bugger, now I'm at a loss as to what I should do, but how do we know for sure there will be another exploit for hackers to tackle on the Wii U? I mean, it almost feels like I wasted money on a game if I can't go online forever, you know?

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Hmm.. I wish to find a wiki for disc updates listing just like PS3 jailbreak disc updates listing. Oh well. Thanks.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Surprised they never made a second one.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It takes two was their newest different theme
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I didn't care for that one so much, but didn't play it much either.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just played little of "Still Wakes The Deep" , just came to gamepass today, its alright, kinda creepy. I'm not usually a horror game fan, but it looks really good graphic wise, esp w 4k. I admit it made me jump a few times.
  • LNLenost @ LNLenost:
    Anyone here using the 3DS?
  • LNLenost @ LNLenost:
    do u have pretendo?
  • LNLenost @ LNLenost:
    whats ur code?
  • B @ btjunior:
    i dont have pretendo sorry
  • LNLenost @ LNLenost:
    oh ok
  • LNLenost @ LNLenost:
    well if ur console isnt modded i suggest u to mod it
  • B @ btjunior:
    also, just curius, does the freinds app still work after the shutdown?
  • LNLenost @ LNLenost:
    yes
  • B @ btjunior:
    nice
  • LNLenost @ LNLenost:
    but u cant play online games anymore :(
  • LNLenost @ LNLenost:
    i miss going in other peoples town
  • B @ btjunior:
    yeah
  • LNLenost @ LNLenost:
    i have a friend named Pineapple (@pineappleJuice hi). we played a lot the day b4 the server shutdown
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I preten to know doe
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @LNLenost how well is the pretendo servers, you ever get kicked off games when playing online?
    +1
  • LNLenost @ LNLenost:
    @BigOnYa not always you get kicked. it happens rarely to me.
    +1
  • LNLenost @ LNLenost:
    ofc they're not great, but props to them for making this
    +1
  • LNLenost @ LNLenost:
    btw, I decided to make the nintendo support team going insane
  • LNLenost @ LNLenost:
    i told them my badges disappeared after i opened the badge arcade after the shutdown, but actually they disappeared because i opened the badge arcade w/ pretendo
  • AcuteBulbasaurappears @ AcuteBulbasaurappears:
    Hey, is there anybody who knows how to create wuhb-files? :) I would like to create forwarders for two Wii-channels: https://gbatemp.net/threads/wuhb-to-vwii-channel-request.657253/#post-10441514
    AcuteBulbasaurappears @ AcuteBulbasaurappears: Hey, is there anybody who knows how to create wuhb-files? :) I would like to create forwarders...