Hacking Wii U Piracy Discussion

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
Trophies
XP
Country
I can buy a wiiu game whenever I want when its released so its no biggie for me but I still love to pirate games and I do hope something is released that will let us play back ups very soon! I don't care even if I do have to buy a wiikeyu I would buy it, if it let me play back ups I luv piracy, its a great thing, it gives other people the chance that have not got the money to spend £40 - £50 on a single wiiu game to have it for free so I'm all for it in my opinion, if it helps the poorer people out in this world, then its not such a bad thing!!! :)

AkiraCast

Former professional QA tester
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I still not convinced to the idea why people who pay for their games should subvention entertaiment for other people.

To that I say only the people that voluntarily dump their roms/isos are the ones doing any "subvention" because their copies are the ones that everyone who pirates them will play. Even then though I still believe in legally backing your shit up because sometimes games stop working, there's also the fact that it preserves games. Like I hear some Sega CD discs are starting to rot? :blink: so if they all rot we all still have a way to play Sega CD games.

KungFuzion

Trophies
XP
Country
I'd like to back up my wii u collection to play off a loader (when it's possible obviously). It's a lot easier than messing about with discs & it saves your drive from wearing out too.

Console hacking used to be a lot of fun. It seems a lot of people these days just bitch & moan about piracy, not to mention bitching about who leaked what etc. We should all just be greatful for what ever gets released. It's fun messing about with hacks & getting the most out of our consoles. I've modded every console I own & as soon as the kernel explot gets released i'll be on it like a fly on shit :)

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd like to back up my wii u collection to play off a loader (when it's possible obviously). It's a lot easier than messing about with discs & it saves your drive from wearing out too.

Console hacking used to be a lot of fun. It seems a lot of people these days just bitch & moan about piracy, not to mention bitching about who leaked what etc. We should all just be greatful for what ever gets released. It's fun messing about with hacks & getting the most out of our consoles. I've modded every console I own & as soon as the kernel explot gets released i'll be on it like a fly on shit :)

Oh, I agree to a "T"! I have my most-played games ripped mainly for convenience's sake (and all my GameCube games so I can play them in "HD" on my U) ^_^
I also am very excited for the kernel exploit, particularly both for the mods that it will hopefully produce and the snowball effect that I HOPE it will have on the community, development-wise

Reactions: NWPlayer123

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
On the topic of whether an exploit that allows homebrew should also have protection against use for piracy, my stance is very simple:

As long as it doesn't take much development resources to implement protection, it's OK. However, if more time is spent on implementing protection and maintaining it than polishing and maintaining the actual exploit itself, it's NOT OK.

Additionally, I'd prefer piracy protection to be kept simple such that if someone wants to use the exploit for piracy (and this will happen no matter what protection is implemented) the developers involved in maintaining the exploit don't take it necessary to patch any such workarounds that might become public knowledge.

Let's face it, like fail0verflow said, homebrew used to be much more interesting because it enabled functions in a console at a time when such functions weren't widespread and easily available. For all intents and purposes if you truly wish to develop homebrew, a better way to spend time would be to fiddle with a Raspberry Pi than a Wii U. I'm personally waiting for homebrew on Wii U for one reason alone and that's to ditch the Wii U GamePad for good. If we'll have a kernel exploit, I want to believe it should then be possible to have the Wii U Pro Controller simulate a Wii U GamePad, either using a shim or modifying existing IOSUs that handle controller input. Either way it's something I'm personally looking forward to if someone is working on a project like that.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On the topic of whether an exploit that allows homebrew should also have protection against use for piracy, my stance is very simple:

As long as it doesn't take much development resources to implement protection, it's OK. However, if more time is spent on implementing protection and maintaining it than polishing and maintaining the actual exploit itself, it's NOT OK.

Additionally, I'd prefer piracy protection to be kept simple such that if someone wants to use the exploit for piracy (and this will happen no matter what protection is implemented) the developers involved in maintaining the exploit don't take it necessary to patch any such workarounds that might become public knowledge.

Let's face it, like fail0verflow said, homebrew used to be much more interesting because it enabled functions in a console at a time when such functions weren't widespread and easily available. For all intents and purposes if you truly wish to develop homebrew, a better way to spend time would be to fiddle with a Raspberry Pi than a Wii U. I'm personally waiting for homebrew on Wii U for one reason alone and that's to ditch the Wii U GamePad for good. If we'll have a kernel exploit, I want to believe it should then be possible to have the Wii U Pro Controller simulate a Wii U GamePad, either using a shim or modifying existing IOSUs that handle controller input. Either way it's something I'm personally looking forward to if someone is working on a project like that.

I personally am looking forward to level edits, like Project U and CTGP Returns (Names copyright 2015 TotalInsanity4 :P)

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
I personally am looking forward to level edits, like Project U and CTGP Returns (Names copyright 2015 TotalInsanity4 :P)

The only game mod that would be interesting to me is a "Project M" for Smash Bros. Wii U. To think that Sakurai developed tendonitis for overworking on Smash Bros. Wii U and this is the end result is very sad. Someone needs to tone down Diddy Kong and fast. I refuse to play as or against Diddy Kong in the game, have already seen people just quit online when they're against Diddy Kong.

Reactions: Deleted User

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only game mod that would be interesting to me is a "Project M" for Smash Bros. Wii U. To think that Sakurai developed tendonitis for overworking on Smash Bros. Wii U and this is the end result is very sad. Someone needs to tone down Diddy Kong and fast. I refuse to play as or against Diddy Kong in the game, have already seen people just quit online when they're against Diddy Kong.

Yeah, I suppose. I guess I'm just more the type of person who likes seeing what people can cook up (design-wise) in a game when there are really no rules :)

Monado_III

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Would people stop with the "Diddy is OP". OK? He's not, Apex proved that, very few Diddys made it into the Top 10. ZeRo only won because he had spent more time with the game and was constantly practicing since the JP release of SSB3DS.

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Would people stop with the "Diddy is OP". OK? He's not, Apex proved that, very few Diddys made it into the Top 10. ZeRo only won because he had spent more time with the game and was constantly practicing since the JP release of SSB3DS.
Just because Apex was full of crappy players means nothing. I play competitively (Ness/Villager main) and Diddy is definitely considered one tier higher than he should be because of invincibility on his Dthrow Uair follow ups. Not that this matters here in the discussion about piracy so make a new thread if you want to continue, I'd love it.

Reactions: Deleted User

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not that this matters here in the discussion about piracy so make a new thread if you want to continue, I'd love it.

I love how this thread that I made to combat derailment on other threads due to piracy flames has derailed in favor of civilly discussing Smash characters XD

Reactions: Fpsrussia117

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, at least there doesn't seem to be talk about piracy anywhere, so no flame wars.

Not that aren't contained in their respective threads, anyway. This is probably one of those threads that will see no action for a month and then spring back to life because someone linked it from a flame war (which, really, is its intended purpose)

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Running backups would mean I wouldn't have to buy two of every game like I do now, one to play and one sealed for my collection...

That's not piracy. In the EU you are even entitled under directive to have a self-made copy for your own use.

I was about to say this, but yeah. This is one of the limited benefits of backup loaders (i.e. being used in the way the name suggests ;))

Mr. Mysterio

Super Genius
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not that aren't contained in their respective threads, anyway. This is probably one of those threads that will see no action for a month and then spring back to life because someone linked it from a flame war (which, really, is its intended purpose)

Maybe this thread should be a sticky.
That way people will (hopefully) see it before posting piracy related comments in other threads.
Although you never know how many people actually LOOK at the stickies before posting... :D

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think something will happen this year the group retribution said in there NFO the time has come collect all your favorite titles.

Eh, that may have just been them either trying to stir up excitement or even just a general statement for when someone DOES make a "backup" loader. Also, Nintendo is starting to take down ROM websites for copyright violations (which they most definitely are, so no one is entitled to butthurt about it), so it may also be that.

Maybe this thread should be a sticky...
That way people will (hopefully) see it before posting piracy related comments in other threads.
Although you never know how many people actually LOOK at the stickies before posting... :D
Haha, maybe, but before that happens, Wii U Hacking Discussion should probably go up there first ;)

Reactions: Fpsrussia117

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • AncientBoi
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: k