Wii-U NAND-AID - eMMC Recovery and Replacement Interposer Public Test

SDIO

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Maybe you can grab one of the vias next to the 3V Pad? That would also give a nice return path for the signals. But I think another joint somewere nere to the SD slot would be needed for mechanical strength, when inserting a card.

EDIT: maybe you can also release the source in the end, so anyone who doesn't have all his wishes granted can change it himself, so you don't need to accommodate everything.
I also had trouble soldering to the other capacitor when I did the mod, so I get that it's difficult there. But the other vias I tried to get ground from also weren't that easy.

But I really appreciate your work on that PCB, which will make it a lot easier in any case.

Last edited by SDIO,

Voultar

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"I'm going to ask of course that these not be re-uploaded or shared anywhere else."
You do realise by saying that, its gonna get other people to mirror it. At least, have it mirrored if people found it useful.
That's OK. I just wanted it to be clear that this is a WIP that will be partially driven by community feedback. :)

Reactions: SylverReZ

SDIO

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Just to be sure, I have to select "Half-cut/Castellated Holes" manually at the PCB manufacturer? Because it wasn't selected automatically when uploading the gerbers and it makes it a lot more expensive.

Where did you order the boards and what did it cost?

Last edited by SDIO,

slimhakz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
This is absolutely fantastic, well done!

How do we dump the nand to sd card using this? is there a guide?

Can we use a pre-existing dumped nand and write to sd card?

Can we increase nand size?

SDIO

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
How do we dump the nand to sd card using this? is there a guide?
It's ballistically the same procedure as here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/successfully-dumped-wiiu-emmc-nand-with-hardmod.457165/ but the soldering is now easier. Also I prefer to use a Raspberry Pi for dumping. With that you also don't need to build this SD Adapter.

Can we use a pre-existing dumped nand and write to sd card?
Only if you also flash the SLC at the same time or else the File System will become inconsistent.
Can we increase nand size?
No.

slimhakz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
It's ballistically the same procedure as here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/successfully-dumped-wiiu-emmc-nand-with-hardmod.457165/ but the soldering is now easier. Also I prefer to use a Raspberry Pi for dumping. With that you also don't need to build this SD Adapter.

Only if you also flash the SLC at the same time or else the File System will become inconsistent.

No.
Right...

So this isn't a new process then.

Can you use a Raspberry Pi to bypass the nand?

What SLC??? There is one eMMC chip to override and replace.

The nand is the nand or am i being dumb?

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
What SLC???
The Wii U uses a MLC and a SLC. The SLC contains a file which is a low-level cache for the MLC. This cache and the content of the MLC need to match or the Wii U is bricked.

The chip we see failing is the MLC.

//EDIT:
So this isn't a new process then.
Correct. While Voultar does great work designing this QSB he's not the inventor of this fix nor the one investigating the root of the issue and stuff.

Voultar

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just to be sure, I have to select "Half-cut/Castellated Holes" manually at the PCB manufacturer? Because it wasn't selected automatically when uploading the gerbers and it makes it a lot more expensive.

Where did you order the boards and what did it cost?
You'll want to select 1 side for castellations.

Reactions: SDIO and zfreeman

slimhakz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
The Wii U uses a MLC and a SLC. The SLC contains a file which is a low-level cache for the MLC. This cache and the content of the MLC need to match or the Wii U is bricked.

The chip we see failing is the MLC.

//EDIT:

Correct. While Voultar does great work designing this QSB he's not the inventor of this fix nor the one investigating the root of the issue and stuff.

But both of these are inside of the eMMC?

slimhakz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan

Voultar

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's a demonstration of the NAND-AID; How the interposer fits and how the SD card simply just slides in.

The solder leg on the right isn't a good idea. It doesn't provide a stable, strong anchor. For the time being, the large, 1.5mm solder PTH that lives under the MicroSD card yields the most structural integrity.

Razor83

Trophies
XP
Country
Looks great, thanks for working on this Voultar :)

Just a suggestion, but perhaps you could add a large 1.5mm castellated via at the top right edge of the board to solder to the other half of C655, to act as a large anchor point for mechanical strength? It should be much easier to solder to a half exposed via on the edge of the board.

Then you can keep the right arm for connecting to C13 for a ground connection, and the large via under the microSD slot can be kept as an optional extra ground/anchor point.

At least this way people who may not feel confortable soldering the microSD slot in place after installation would at least have the option of getting one with the slot preinstalled and using the C13 ground point instead of the one under the microSD slot, and the board would still be secured with a strong anchor point.

Last edited by Razor83,

SDIO

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I ordered 10 of the V2 interposer PCBs from elecrow and also ordered the components (slot and cap). It should take around 2 Weeks till the PCBs arrive.
If they turn out good, I can give some of them away for the price of the parts and shipping to people in Germany. I only used the HASL Lead free finish, so they won't look as nice (no gold coating).

Is there no way to replace both out of interest?
You can also replace the SLC, but not with that interposer. It's in a TSOP package, so easier to solder than the BGA of the eMMC and the SLC doesn't seem to fail. Also you would need a special micro controller to program it.

So this will 100% fix any broken Wii U?
It will fix Wii Us with a failed eMMC, that is still good enough to extract an image to run UDPIH. Looking at the failure mode of the eMMC, that should cover most of the cases of bad eMMC.

Reactions: slimhakz

Voultar

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just want to explain something as I believe there's some confusion as to why I've removed the "leg" with the castellated edge.

Let's look at this picture and pay close attention to the component inside the red box:

NAND-AID Top.jpg

^ This is a 10V, 220UF electrolytic capacitor. Electrolytic capacitors of this size will most likely at some point require servicing. If we install the NAND-AID interposer on top of this capacitor's solder pad, we'll be unable to replace this component if it fails in the future.. We'd have to remove the NAND-AID QSB or butcher the board in order to remove/replace this capacitor, which isn't good.

Currently, you're going to have to solder the NAND-AID into position and then add the MicroSD card. This takes all of maybe 3 minutes to do and is very simple. I may find a different ground source, but ultimately, this is a much better solution in the long-run than using a weak electrolytic pad as both a ground and mechanical anchor.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'd rather spend like $150 more for a surround receiver.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I bought the game at launch never fucked with it until recently
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its fun, I like it, even tho I'm not a big harry potter fan. Like a wizard rpg. Flying around on a broomstick is cool.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Flying sucks ass on it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh just takes a min to get used to. I think you can upgrade or buy new broomstick also that are better.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I weirdly like inverted controls on all flying type games
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Prob can change it, inverted flying controls.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Only thing that annoys me is trying to find wtf to do in it
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Alright off to the store, later gators.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Some places amaze me were not in network with your insurance would you still like an appointment
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    uhhh, I think I'll just stick with my PSP 3001
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    lol, Now I gotta go to the store for more Coffee Mate n other stuff.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i downloaded final fantasy vii into my tv stick
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i mean, the game was already there but its the japanese version
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    and i only downloaded disc 1 so far bc of storage stuff
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    @BigOnYa, yeah the patty on McDs burger is 1/10th of a pound now and I think that's the pre cooked weight lol
    I use the app for the 20% off coupon and it's still over priced
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, why is mcdonalds overpriced if their food is bad?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i mean why is mcdonalds food overpriced
    Inflation and greed
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it's just fries, make 'em at home
    +2
    I make potato wedges at home with spices and stuff lol
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I make potato wedges at home with spices and stuff lol