Hacking Wii U Homebrew Wish List - Homebrew Idea Thread

jammybudga777

Trophies
XP
Country
Yes, though I don't see why it would need to be run in Wii U mode vs. vWii mode to be perfectly blunt. I would like to see PCSX-R, Higan/Bsnes, better N64 emulation and PPSSPP ported to Wii U.

because its more power = easier to grasp a hold of things and get them working better. would mean we wont need vwii at all hopefully except to run wii titles (also gamepad functions would be useable in wii u mode with some work). and the main piont wii u mode displays 1080p while vwii is 480P

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
because its more power = easier to grasp a hold of things and get them working better also would mean we wont need vwii at all hopefully except to run wii titles. also mainly wii u mode displays 1080p while vwii is 480P

You can't do 1080p in a virtual machine, emulation would be the only way but emulation has far less compatibility compared to virtualization; you might as well just run Dolphin at that point. Nintendont is perfectly fine the way it is. Dolphin has 80% compatibility (as in all the way through), if that, Nintendont has 99.999% or so, with a couple of games running too fast, you do the math. A VM vs a buggy-as-hell emulator with nearly 20% less compatibility. There is absolutely nothing wrong with Nintendont, so, porting it to Wii U mode would be pointless and a waste of code; there are better things to be ported over to the Wii U.

jammybudga777

Trophies
XP
Country
umm i dont think i understand. why wouldnt nintendont be able to run 1080p GC games in wii u mode? while vwii mode has them running in 480p (which they are not originally designed to )

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
umm i dont think i understand. why wouldnt nintendont be able to run 1080p GC games in wii u mode? while vwii mode has them running in 480p (which they are not originally designed to )

Because it's a virtual machine, not an emulator, it needs extra processing power to upscale the internal resolution, which is no more than 640 x 480 (either interlaced or progressive). Emulation emulate the hardware via software, virtual machines use real hardware. There is no way in hell Nintendont would scale as it's virtualization of a Gamecube running in vWii mode, which is architecturally the same as a Gamecube. Emulation can't simply be done with magic, there is absolutely no point in running it in the Cafe OS itself, there are better things to be ported. I'm done discussing the whys and why nots. Nintendont is fine the way it is, period.'

okay so let me get this straight. a virtual machine cannot enhance the games graphics/display in wii u mode...... but yet nintendont is a virtual machine in vwii and has enhanced some games displayed to 480p??
What? The Gamecube has always been 480i/480p since 2001 lol. It cannot enhance the games beyond the resolution they were designed with.:rolleyes:

jammybudga777

Trophies
XP
Country
well now it makes sence if your sayin original gamecube supports 480p. didnt realise that as i never owned one lol whats the current state of ppsspp? i had it on my samsung s4 a year or so ago. was good but it only played few games

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can't do 1080p in a virtual machine, emulation would be the only way but emulation has far less compatibility compared to virtualization; you might as well just run Dolphin at that point. Nintendont is perfectly fine the way it is. Dolphin has 80% compatibility (as in all the way through), if that, Nintendont has 99.999% or so, with a couple of games running too fast, you do the math. A VM vs a buggy-as-hell emulator with nearly 20% less compatibility. There is absolutely nothing wrong with Nintendont, so, porting it to Wii U mode would be pointless and a waste of code; there are better things to be ported over to the Wii U.

There are things that could be done to make it look better in Wii U mode, though, such as texture anti-aliasing and model smoothing. Also the convenience of just running everything from Wii U mode. I don't really care all that much, but there are a few benefits, even if true HD gameplay is out

Reactions: jammybudga777

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are things that could be done to make it look better in Wii U mode, though, such as texture anti-aliasing and model smoothing. Also the convenience of just running everything from Wii U mode. I don't really care all that much, but there are a few benefits, even if true HD gameplay is out

I think that regarding the matter, I'd best not say anything or attempt to shoot down/counteract any ideas people have for Wii U/Cafe mode. :unsure:

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think that regarding the matter, I'd best not say anything or attempt to shoot down/counteract any ideas people have for Wii U/Cafe mode. :unsure:

Nah man, it's ok to have an opinion :P just remember this is a wish list, not a technical advice thread. I think if a user has an idea that's even on the fringe of possibility, it should be heard

Reactions: the_randomizer

Xuman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Custom linux drivers could be written for the Wii U gamepad, giving Trinux (in U mode) the ability to utilize it.

That being said, writing drivers is above my skill level, but i know that Ninja_Carver wrote a lot of the drivers for the vWii himself. I cant speak for him though on whether or not hes up to the challenge of writing gamepad drivers for U mode.

On a side note, i want to see a plethora of alternative OS's flourish on the Wii U, the more the merrier! As the scene matures and we reach the point of having multiple alternative OS's on the Wii U, I'll be one of those nut jobs with all of them on my Wii U including the official CafeOS XD

From Main Homebrew Thread, also main post UPDATED

csgolawliet

Trophies
XP
Country
i know lots of people have said this already, but an USB Loader would be great, tbh, the only reason why i didnt sell the wiiU to get a new3DS is because i have faith on it because i just cant afford buying wiiU games right now :sad:

Reactions: Kelton2

NWPlayer123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just had a thought, how about something that can run Windows executables that are coded in C? (I wanna play OoT2D on the gamepad so baaaad :cry:)

Emulating a different architecture isn't exactly the best idea for a low powered system (look how difficult it is to get Dolphin to run well, even with the latest dev builds).

Reactions: Ray Lewis

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Emulating a different architecture isn't exactly the best idea for a low powered system (look how difficult it is to get Dolphin to run well, even with the latest dev builds).

Not even by using multiple cores to emulate and just one to actually execute? (I know that isn't ideal, but again, just throwing ideas out there)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/Tt5J7AfCK6E?si=g4dGzOkhACLJAovM