Hacking Wii U Hacking & Homebrew Discussion

dontay0100

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There has been progress, there's a very good reason why there's little info about it (obvious reasons), as for updating, Smash has 5.2.0 on it and I've heard both it's safe and not safe.

Yeah I understand but all I need is some reassurance lol just a quick update saying hey everythings good, it's coming along fine.. not total silence but hey silence is GOLDEN.

I just want some good clarification if I can update or not. I can live without NN lol

NWPlayer123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I understand but all I need is some reassurance lol just a quick update saying hey everythings good, it's coming along fine.. not total silence but hey silence is GOLDEN.

I just want some good clarification if I can update or not. I can live without NN lol

I suggest you keep waiting. There is some progress being made, but it's going to be a while before anything concrete. If you really want to update to play games, you're fine up to 5.2.0 (what smash bros has, just keep it offline and update with the disc), but if you're that dedicated to keeping on a lower firmware, then I'd stay on 5.0.0, since you can still run code once the kernel exploit is finished and released.

Reactions: Adeka and VinsCool

dontay0100

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I suggest you keep waiting. There is some progress being made, but it's going to be a while before anything concrete. If you really want to update to play games, you're fine up to 5.2.0 (what smash bros has, just keep it offline and update with the disc), but if you're that dedicated to keeping on a lower firmware, then I'd stay on 5.0.0, since you can still run code once the kernel exploit is finished and released.

BETTTTTT....

FusionGamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Definitely a possibility, but it do us much good without the private key needed to sign it :P. Not unless we attempted to brute force it once we know the encryption type hmmmmm.......

I cant imagine the encryption is a high bit encryption as the files are only 1kb a piece :)

UPDATE: the old brawl tools dont work. Nintendos changed the algorithm and/or private key.

Theyre not THAT stupid lol. Im working on getting the private key for it. Stay tuned for updates!

UPDATE 2: The encryption algorithm being used is MD5, I'm working on cracking the private key now....

Awesome!

Question though: How the fuck do you live without the Bookmarks Bar?

Reactions: TeamScriptKiddies

FPSRussi4

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
What would the roadblocks be to porting over something like Zsnes to the current userland exploit be?

For starters, no one has coded an emulator for the Wii U yet. Second, how would you launch it? Third, we may not have appropriate permissions to run such a thing.

NWPlayer123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For starters, no one has coded an emulator for the Wii U yet. Second, how would you launch it? Third, we may not have appropriate permissions to run such a thing.

lol if you're able to display things you're able to make an emulator. You don't need access to the filesystem to be able to transfer files to the Wii U to be read. In the same way you can read and write memory, you can stream a file into memory on the Wii U and then read it. You could just as easily make a music/video player using the same strategy.

WulfyStylez

SALT/Bemani Princess
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What would the roadblocks be to porting over something like Zsnes to the current userland exploit be?

Once we've got our kernel exploit up and running, it'll be as easy as developing any other software for the wii u. I've actually been planning a port of bsnes (higan now, i guess) for a while. Not much I can do for it yet, though.

FPSRussi4

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
lol if you're able to display things you're able to make an emulator. You don't need access to the filesystem to be able to transfer files to the Wii U to be read. In the same way you can read and write memory, you can stream a file into memory on the Wii U and then read it. You could just as easily make a music/video player using the same strategy.

I'd like some cool water for that burn, please.

Reactions: TeamScriptKiddies

TeamScriptKiddies

Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Well unless the end user sets up their own private server to run the exploit on, this isn't really doable (for legal reasons). Sure emulators are perfectly legal, but if the end user wants to play backups of commercial games (roms of games they own), they can't legally be streamed from somewhere else. Therein lies the problem, if somebody sets up a web based emulator GREAT, but we can only stream homebrew roms legally lol. SD and/or USB access would be ideal for this reason.

Reactions: Fpsrussia117

TeamScriptKiddies

Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I never said it was practical :P just possible

lol okay, just wanted to make sure. Because the average joe, who just cares about running emulators in Wii U mode (and nothing fancy) is NOT going to know how to (or want to) set up their own internal web server for such a purpose haha.

But I get what you're saying, it would definitely be possible with streaming, its just the legality of it is where it gets hairy :P. Somebody could however right an emulator and set it up to stream free/legal/public domain/homebrew roms as a proof of concept, but most people are going to want to play the games they grew up with :P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://stockanalysis.com/stocks/ntdoy/market-cap/ I think they'll be alright