Hacking Wii U Hacking & Homebrew Discussion

WulfyStylez

SALT/Bemani Princess
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Still, whether or not that guy was from Nintendo or not (if it's the same Dalavin that's everywhere else on the internet, he is), they did publicly disclose an exploit. If Nintendo cares at all about their console's security (and don't assume they don't), they'll see that and patch it.
The patch only consists of moving one line of code down a few lines...

Reactions: TeamScriptKiddies

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Still, whether or not that guy was from Nintendo or not (if it's the same Dalavin that's everywhere else on the internet, he is), they did publicly disclose an exploit. If Nintendo cares at all about their console's security (and don't assume they don't), they'll see that and patch it.
The patch only consists of moving one line of code down a few lines...

I don't find that to be very reassuring at all, esp. since the future of Wii U hacks is so uncertain. What guarantee, if any, do we have that we'll ever see this Messianic exploit, if ever? Kinda hard not to be negative about it, you know? I don't know how or what to believe anymore.

Reactions: Margen67

WulfyStylez

SALT/Bemani Princess
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't find that to be very reassuring at all, esp. since the future of Wii U hacks is so uncertain. What guarantee, if any, do we have that we'll ever see this Messianic exploit, if ever? Kinda hard not to be negative about it, you know? I don't know how or what to believe anymore.

You can see the exploit right this second by looking through Dalavin's posts, ha.
Go implement it yourself if you don't wanna wait for someone else to, though. Then you'll see why it's taking a while. Lots of little things need to be figured out in advance, tested, and figured out again before a working hack can be made. Assloads of ROP, really.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can see the exploit right this second by looking through Dalavin's posts, ha.
Go implement it yourself if you don't wanna wait for someone else to, though. Then you'll see why it's taking a while. Lots of little things need to be figured out in advance, tested, and figured out again before a working hack can be made. Assloads of ROP, really.

Damn, because of this douche, Nintendo knows about the exploit (I'm sure he's a squealer for them), yeah, it takes time, I know that, but, see, some of use have updated to 5.2.0 (not 5.3.0), permanently locking us out, right? Right... What does it matter now? Some of us will never be able to use it. As far as I know, only those up to 5.0.0 can actually be benefited when it does release. But those past 5.1.0? They're essentially shit out of luck. So, I don't know why I bother waiting if some can't even use it on the previous FW :(

WulfyStylez

SALT/Bemani Princess
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Damn, because of this douche, Nintendo knows about the exploit (I'm sure he's a squealer for them), yeah, it takes time, I know that, but, see, some of use have updated to 5.2.0 (not 5.3.0), permanently locking us out, right? Right... What does it matter now? Some of us will never be able to use it. As far as I know, only those up to 5.0.0 can actually be benefited when it does release. But those past 5.1.0? They're essentially shit out of luck. So, I don't know why I bother waiting if some can't even use it on the previous FW :(

As has been said like five billion times before, making a new webkit exploit is a thing that's going to happen as soon as kernel 'sploit work is done. Re: fail0verflow's talks about how easy it is to exploit an outdated browser. Heck, even us and chadderz both have different browser exploits. I doubt chadderz' is patched unless he reported it to nintendo himself.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As has been said like five billion times before, making a new webkit exploit is a thing that's going to happen as soon as kernel 'sploit work is done. Re: fail0verflow's talks about how easy it is to exploit an outdated browser. Heck, even us and chadderz both have different browser exploits. I doubt chadderz' is patched unless he reported it to nintendo himself.

So in other words, being on 5.2.0 won't be an issue unless I update, correct?

Edit 11/26/14 3:45 PM

Yeah, though at this point you should probably just get a second console unless you care disproportionately more about homebrew than actual games.

True, but, it'd have to be in very good shape for me to trust a secondhand console. Ain't gonna happen for a while because, money proves to be an issue. I have the bigger games that I've waited a long time for anyways. All I want to see, mostly, is better emulators ported to the Cafe OS primarily.

TeamScriptKiddies

Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I updated to 5.2.0 through the Smash Bros disc... If I don't update to 5.3.0, is homebrew still possible on the Firmware/Update I have (5.2.0)?
Eventually, im currently working with others to develop a userland exploit with sd card access using smash bros :).

The browser exploit isnt being ported to 5.2.0 at this time as MN1 and co are finishing their kernel exploit first.

The browser exploit will be ported eventually though :)

Skeet1983

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Eventually, im currently working with others to develop a userland exploit with sd card access using smash bros :).

The browser exploit isnt being ported to 5.2.0 at this time as MN1 and co are finishing their kernel exploit first.

The browser exploit will be ported eventually though :)

What would the userland exploit do? Also, would the kernel exploit work on 5.2.0?

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, obviously, being on 5.2.0 is the cutoff (as far as we know) for the exploit. Now, there've been issue with a small % of users who are getting error codes with memory-related issues. Nintendo is aware of it so, what do we do if Nintendo releases a patch and some of us have this issue? I mean, trying to keep this on topic as much as I can, I just hope there some kind of contingency plan.

TeamScriptKiddies

Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My thoughts are that if you arent having any issues on 5.2.0, leave it be. If you are having issues on it then, when nintendo releases an patch then just update and wait for the kernel exploit to be ported over. If you're having issues, your console is at risk for a brick.ba bricked console is bad all around

NWPlayer123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, obviously, being on 5.2.0 is the cutoff (as far as we know) for the exploit. Now, there've been issue with a small % of users who are getting error codes with memory-related issues. Nintendo is aware of it so, what do we do if Nintendo releases a patch and some of us have this issue? I mean, trying to keep this on topic as much as I can, I just hope there some kind of contingency plan.
Actually, we know better now. Hykem has said it's unpatched, but MN1 has yet to check himself. No word yet on 5.3.1 yet, but 5.3.0 /should/ be fine.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My thoughts are that if you arent having any issues on 5.2.0, leave it be. If you are having issues on it then, when nintendo releases an patch then just update and wait for the kernel exploit to be ported over. If you're having issues, your console is at risk for a brick.ba bricked console is bad all around

Have you been following the SSB issues though? They think it might be defective NAND chips in some units. The game data gets corrupted and going to the data management screen will pretty much brick the system. All Nintendo said on their Miiverse post is that they are aware and if you encounter it, to send it to their HQ for repairs. Now I'm afraid to load up the game.

Source: https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAADVHhoW2xyUA

Hopefully, no one has to do that, as they will force-update the console to 5.3.1.

Actually, we know better now. Hykem has said it's unpatched, but MN1 has yet to check himself. No word yet on 5.3.1 yet, but 5.3.0 /should/ be fine.

Oh? Well, that's good, but uh, it seems the update data for SSB might be the route cause for these potentially console-breaking bugs, so, I'm staying on 5.2.0 to avoid the game update data from being downloaded. That or caused by some random NAND chip failure, I doubt it's something a patch can fix, but no one really knows as of yet. Yeah, now I don't know if I can load the game without my console exploding.

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My Wii U arrived today. What are the implications of not allowing it to update past 5.2? I assume it means no online play (not really important for now). What about patches for games (if any) or DLC?

My library for Christmas will be
SSBB
mk8
3D world
nintendoland
donkey Kong TF
LEGO city undercover
Hyrule Warriors
super Mario bros u
Pikmin 3

Maybe wind walker if I can find a deal.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I think Switch 2 will launch about Christmas this year lol