Hacking Wii U Hacking & Homebrew Discussion

Adr990

To boldly go where no man has gone before!
Trophies
Website
www.hyrule.net
XP
Country
Netherlands
@nastys
Yea, I saw you posting that before.

But:
"From here on, the guide has not been tested.The information may have some inconsistencies."
They just copied the info from WiiUBrew or something, to create some click bait. hah
They haven't actually done it...

nastys

ナースティス
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
@nastys
Yea, I saw you posting that before.

But:
"From here on, the guide has not been tested.The information may have some inconsistencies."
They just copied the info from WiiUBrew or something, to create some click bait. hah
They haven't actually done it...
Keep reading...

nastys

ナースティス
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Ah, well okay.
Did he post any picture or info about it?

Especially, which SD Card reader he used?
He said that the console was not connected to the TV and that the GamePad couldn't connect (because the console was in NAND-dumping mode(?)).
He used a 1mm tip and it's not clear if he tried to restore the firmware or if the backup is valid. He used a Linux OS, probably Ubuntu, and used dd to backup (although I would recommend using Disks, which is preinstalled on Ubuntu and GNOME distros).

Sammi Husky

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I cracked down and figured it out last night actually. I can at least edit anything that's included in update files. The big thing will be making custom patches.
I can try it out. I'll do another video if I get some noticeable edits working.

Any edits that don't require changing the total moveset size should be fine. The format is pretty straightforward so if your doing straight ram pokes, once you get to the event lists in memory, you can just overwrite the data with your own. A very easy edit would be to test to see if you can init a small subroutine, or change the action altogether :P

depaul

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Great progress :)
I have a question: can the exploit be used to temporarily patch security check?

For example, 3DS hacking principle was as follow:
-Use exploit to patch signature check
-Transfer a tool via web browser to 3DS (cia installer)
-Use the cia installer to install roms to emunand.

Btw, maybe there are some similarities between 3DS filesystem and the FS used by WII U?

Marionumber1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Great progress :)
I have a question: can the exploit be used to temporarily patch security check?

For example, 3DS hacking principle was as follow:
-Use exploit to patch signature check
-Transfer a tool via web browser to 3DS (cia installer)
-Use the cia installer to install roms to emunand.

Btw, maybe there are some similarities between 3DS filesystem and the FS used by WII U?

We can patch anything on the PPC side in memory, but can make very few permanent changes. An IOSU exploit would let us make changes on the ARM side, essentially letting us do anything to the hardware except install new titles. A bug in the signature checking would let us install new titles.

soneek

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I found a nice workaround for loading any custom file replacement into Smash U. I'll be working on a tool, but it involves using custom patches. It's doable with Cafiine.

Reactions: I pwned U!

FIX94

Former Staff
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
there is a / missing on Fix94 post.
no theres not, my server is just terribly slow and inconsistent at answering, so just try again in like a minute and it will most likely work. if you really wanna test it anyways you can just check out my github fork and compile it. anyways if I find the time today I might really get a spinning 3d cube :P

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I still try loading any of the homebrews made so far for my 5.3.2 Wii U, and I am still getting nothing but crashes. :/
What are the exact steps to get a homebrew to load through the browser?

I feel like I am doing something wrong because I tried with the Wii U Website by WJ44, Fix94 and that other guy with the fancy menu. :P

wj44

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I still try loading any of the homebrews made so far for my 5.3.2 Wii U, and I am still getting nothing but crashes. :/

I feel like I am doing something wrong because I tried with the Wii U Website by WJ44, Fix94 and that other guy with the fancy menu. :P
You must have only one tab opened and type the link directly in the URL Bar!

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Damn, that sucks, what other homebrew launchers are you using, if I may ask?

Edit: Never mind, this is the web kit exploit :P I still haven't even tried that exploit out yet, I don't know if I truly have safeguards to prevent accidental updates.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
You must have only one tab opened and type the link directly in the URL Bar!
I think that's it. I always have like 2 or so tabs opened and then try to open the Homebrew.
Will give it a try this afternoon.

Damn, that sucks, what other homebrew launchers are you using, if I may ask?

Edit: Never mind, this is the web kit exploit :P I still haven't even tried that exploit out yet, I don't know if I truly have safeguards to prevent accidental updates.
Yep, the WebKit Exploit. :P
And I tried opening Pong, Hello World and another one I can't recall right now.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think that's it. I always have like 2 or so tabs opened and then try to open the Homebrew.

Yep, the WebKit Exploit. :P
And I tried opening Pong, Hello World and another one I can't recall right now.

Bleh, I'm so behind i haven't even tried it out yet :P I'm just wary that I don't have surefire ways to preventing accidental updates, and believe me, I have rotten luck with that. Still on 5.3.2, but I don't know what's going on :P

Lory171

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
The most updated and stable site for homebrew test is http://fix94.no-ip.org/wiiu/ for now, all homebrews are working on 5.3.2 and are stable. Most of them also let you return back by pressing home button so you don t have to hard reset the console.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
The most updated and stable site for homebrew test is http://fix94.no-ip.org/wiiu/ for now, all homebrews are working on 5.3.2 and are stable. Most of them also let you return back by pressing home button so you don t have to hard reset the console.
Yeah that's actually the link I tried yesterday but the Wii U froze up on me.
I think it is because I have 2+ tabs always opened when I try to load any homebrew at all.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    Karma177 @ Karma177: do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea? trying to...