Wii U eshop versions of Wii games from another region

leejaclane

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was curious about running Wii games downloaded from the Wii U eshop from another region, since the games run in vWii. How does that work?

Like, I know the cfw for Wii U allows running games from other regions (though some tinkering may be required for some), but since this is booting into vWii, what happens then?

How do you make it run properly on Wii U? Or is that impossible and I should just play it in vWii using a loader like WiiFlow instead?

TheSuperGarage7532

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a NTSC-U Wii U and save file of New Super Mario Bros. Wii from a disc, and I also have the Virtual Console release of the game that was only released in Japan and Europe. I have the EU release of the VC, and when I booted into the game, it treated it like it was a separate game, which would make sense, because the title IDs for the regions are different. So in summary, playing a VC download from a region that is not native to your console region should not mess with anything if you are using a retail Wii disc/VC download in conjunction on your Wii U in vWii mode.

Hope this helps!

leejaclane

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So basically what you're saying is, there's no additional work required to make another region's Wii U eshop version of a Wii game run, vWii region locking never comes into play while using Wii U cfw.

Is that a result of not having Wii region locking at all on these eshop Wii games, is it removed as redundant to Wii U region locking? Or is the custom firmware bypassing the vWii region locking?

I suppose I don't really understand the differences between these vWii modes, the actual vWii mode and the one that runs with eshop Wii games.

Jereming

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
China
I get a black screen when trying to run japanese trauma team eshop release from my usa console (booting vwii from wiiu menu) though.......wondering how to make it work.

I'm using newest aroma atm

Trauma Team (JPN): boot into black screen and can't turn off the console by long pressing the power button. gotta cut the power off
New Super Mario Bros. (JPN): works perfectly in japanese
Rhythm Heaven (JPN): the game is boot in US mode which means some texts of the game is missing. And the wii intro screen is also in English too

Last edited by Jereming,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo