Wii U e-shop closure and USB Helper

neko_koneko

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi,

So with the Wii U e-shop closing eventually, I have been looking at what I may like to download, and doing some prep work. But, I was wondering, if my Wii U has CFW, and I have installed USB helper (if that's where you can get Wii U backups?) on my PC, do I need to be concerned about missing anything before the shop closes? Will backups, etc. always be available?

Norris

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can still download them for a while cause the nus servers will be down but after they shut down all nus grabbing tools will not work know there's a chance a mirror server might be built which USB helper and nusslpi could use but unlikely. When the NUS servers shut down your out of luck unless you ummm cough cough Mario cube cough cough

Reactions: Coldblackice

shanefromoz

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
You can still download them for a while cause the nus servers will be down but after they shut down all nus grabbing tools will not work know there's a chance a mirror server might be built which USB helper and nusslpi could use but unlikely. When the NUS servers shut down your out of luck unless you ummm cough cough Mario cube cough cough
Cough cough Mario cube please explain

BaamAlex

UDE GA NARU ZE!
Trophies
Website
hmpg.net
XP
Country
Germany
So with the Wii U e-shop closing eventually
I revise my words from this thread here which contains basically the same question like yours. Yes, the eshop closes. But that doesn't mean that we can't download our stuff anymore. I would say, the servers are still online, but not longer accessible for wii u and 3ds consoles. But the stuff can still be downloaded somehow (with usb helper for example). I dunno more details, but that is what i would guess.

Last edited by BaamAlex,

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess we could use the title key to generate a fake ticket, but the ticket thing will likely be offline just like the one for the wii. there are tickets tied to your account, that won't go offline, so you can still download your legit stuff, so there's no worries there.

Norris

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess we could use the title key to generate a fake ticket, but the ticket thing will likely be offline just like the one for the wii. there are tickets tied to your account, that won't go offline, so you can still download your legit stuff, so there's no worries there.
Tbh we need to start a mirror server like NUSarchive

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
chances are that the apps that don't rely on the title key site will stop working, because the ticket will give a 404 error just like nus on the wii side. can't decrypt or make wad files with it now that the store is closed.

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Nintendo said you will still be able to download content you own, so my guess is that the NUS won't change at all. You will just be unable to do new purchases.

@godreborn You can't download the tickets today, too. That's Nintendos warez protection: The rest of the files are useless without the decryption key stored in the ticket. Apps that don't rely on that title key site (NUSspli and FunkiiU IIRC) generate the tickets from the title ID with this algorythm: https://gbatemp.net/threads/3ds-wii-u-titlekey-generation-algorithm-leaked.566318/

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ah, I didn't know the algorithm was leaked. are the wii tickets permanently gone? you get a 404 error with the ticket on nus, but the rest of the game(s)/content is still there.

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure about Wii but on Wii U getting 404 is normal. You need authentication to be able to download the tickets. Exception are tickets for free content. Example: http://ccs.cdn.wup.shop.nintendo.net/ccs/download/0005001010000100/cetk (yes, the title.tik file is called cetk on the NUS).
I don't think it was always like that with the wii, but that may be why it's like that with the wii u, to prevent apps like nus from working. can't decrypt or make a wad without the ticket on the wii, so nus is useless for games, still useful for system ios though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: