Wii System Update warning

Bob Evil

The Department of Home-Made Insecurity
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The rumor was proved to be false ... but, the irony is, if it had been true, people would have said it was false ... such is the nature on the internet.

No matter what, some people always will feel the need to spread the contrary to any given statement.

shtonkalot

Can't hold on much longer, But I'll never let go!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
ppkhoa said:
Guys ! I've just updated my Wii ! It's still 3.2J, and I can still play trucha signed game ! It's still normal, nothing changed much ...
Tanas said:
Tanas said:
I just updated my firmware 5 minutes ago and all my Trucha exploit games still work plus Freeloader.It appears to be just scaremongering...
QUOTE(thebobevil @ Mar 23 2008, 01:40 PM)
The rumor was proved to be false ... but, the irony is, if it had been true, people would have said it was false ... such is the nature on the internet.

No matter what, some people always will feel the need to spread the contrary to any given statement.
I think that if you guys are of the opinion that this update has done nothing to your Wii consoles you need to read up on it a bit more.
It wasn't said (by anyone with an understanding of the updates workings) that this update will stop Trucha signed games or other similar exploits (Wii Homebrew channel, freeloader) from working.

Perhaps read the thread (and maybe this one) in it's entirety and look at some of the available information (like wiibrew.org) to educate yourselves on what this is. This page seems to have the best info on the update available.

Bottom line is that the news on the front page is not a rumour or scaremongering. If you wan't to update to this and then later update system firmware it looks like your Trucha troubles may just be beginning.

Will any of this matter by the time the next system update comes out..? I don't know but the facts about what is happening now seem pretty clear.
The Wii coders out there may well find a way around all this before it is ever a problem. For the moment though I won't take the unnecessary update.

**edited to include link to other thread**

Nudua

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
jalaneme said:
i'm glad it's false, i guess trolls love attention no matter where they are...
Indeed, ordered freeloader + US brawl yesterday would have been a pain if it didnt work..

J

Jackreyes

shtonkalot is right
With the next menu update, we're screwed (well you, i haven't updated yet)

Bob Loblaw

Read the Bob Loblaw Law Blog!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
shtonkalot said:
ppkhoa said:
Guys ! I've just updated my Wii ! It's still 3.2J, and I can still play trucha signed game ! It's still normal, nothing changed much ...
Tanas said:
Tanas said:
I just updated my firmware 5 minutes ago and all my Trucha exploit games still work plus Freeloader.It appears to be just scaremongering...

I think that if you guys are of the opinion that this update has done nothing to your Wii consoles you need to read up on it a bit more.
It wasn't said (by anyone with an understanding of the updates workings) that this update will stop Trucha signed games or other similar exploits (Wii Homebrew channel, freeloader) from working.

Perhaps read the thread (and maybe this one) in it's entirety and look at some of the available information (like wiibrew.org) to educate yourselves on what this is. This page seems to have the best info on the update available.

Bottom line is that the news on the front page is not a rumour or scaremongering. If you wan't to update to this and then later update system firmware it looks like your Trucha troubles may just be beginning.

Will any of this matter by the time the next system update comes out..? I don't know but the facts about what is happening now seem pretty clear.
The Wii coders out there may well find a way around all this before it is ever a problem. For the moment though I won't take the unnecessary update.

**edited to include link to other thread**

Exactly. Everyone should read the wiibrew page. This update has the files needed to fix the trucha signer exploit. They just have not been activated yet. Read the link shtonkalot posted
http://wiibrew.org/index.php?title=IOS37
say goodbye to trucha signed discs soon
frown.gif

shtonkalot

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
From #wiidev about 5 Mins ago:

Can't you just read the wiki and not listen to "other people".
esp considering the only reason anyone knows about it is because I discovered it and marcan confirmed it, and then I wrote the wiki page

That was referring to the news about the update and the wiibrew wiki (http://wiibrew.org) where the info has been posted.

Bob Evil

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
shtonkalot said:
ppkhoa said:
Tanas said:
Tanas said:

Perhaps read the thread in it's entirety and look at some of the available information (like wiibrew.org) to educate yourselves on what this is. This page seems to have the best info on the update available.

See, I'm not sweating it, as my Wii is not modded
smile.gif

I buy imports, and run them with Freeloader ... all my Wii, PS3 & 360 games are legit ... I only play copies on my PS2, PSP, DS & PC.

I don't have a problem with piracy, obviously, but I bet the industry laughs it's ass off when pirates run around like headless chickens over every fix, patch, and/or rumor thereof.

You are doing something you should not be doing, and if the day comes when you cannot do it anymore, then it's a case of 'oh well, c'est la guerre ... we had a good run while it lasted.'

I've been playing pirate games for 25 years, and if they finally figure out how to nail the lid shot on all of that, I can't complain ... I got more than my share out of them lol

Look at the PS3 ... how many people around the world are playing copied PS3 games? Not too many, I betcha ... the nets close in quicker and quicker ... they will never stop all of it, but they are hellbent on stopping as much as they can.

I am not saying stop pirating ... far from it ... besides which, it would be more than hypocritical of me ... keep pirating, but be ready for when it gets harder and harder, and don't complain when they shut different tricks, hacks, mods & exploits, as you've have had some things for free from them, and at the end of the day, they are protecting their dough ... none of you can tell me that you wouldn't go at it tooth and claw to protect your loot, too.

shtonkalot

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
thebobevil said:
smile.gif

I buy imports, and run them with Freeloader ... all my Wii, PS3 & 360 games are legit ... I only play copies on my PS2, PSP, DS & PC.Well if you continue to look at what is happening you might find some need to be concerned about updating your Wii.
I could spell it out for you but the info is all there for you to read. Basically though it is not just modified Wii consoles that are affected by updates, if you use ANY non-official product with your Wii then you can run into troubles.
QUOTE(thebobevil @ Mar 23 2008, 02:24 PM) I am not saying stop pirating ... far from it ... besides which, it would be more than hypocritical of me ... keep pirating, but be ready for when it gets harder and harder, and don't complain when they shut different tricks, hacks, mods & exploits, as you've have had some things for free from them, and at the end of the day, they are protecting their dough ... none of you can tell me that you wouldn't go at it tooth and claw to protect your loot, too.
If that is directed at me (you quoted me in this reply) then I don't quite get it. I'm the one trying to get people to stop complaining and look at the facts. If my Wii gets disabled because Nintendo detects the modifications I make, I'll just buy another.

Bob Evil

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
shtonkalot said:
thebobevil said:
smile.gif

I buy imports, and run them with Freeloader ... all my Wii, PS3 & 360 games are legit ... I only play copies on my PS2, PSP, DS & PC.
Well if you continue to look at what is happening you might find some need to be concerned about updating your Wii.
I could spell it out for you but the info is all there for you to read. Basically though it is not just modified Wii consoles that are affected by updates, if you use ANY non-official product with your Wii then you can run into troubles.

You're missing my point ... my point is, that right now, my Freeloader still works, and that when it stops working, due to an update, I am quite prepared to accept that fact.

You talk as though I do not understand, simply because I do not have your reaction to the situation ... I more than understand, and I am more than aware of how things like this could affect me down the line.

Bloodlust

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hong Kong
We can still hope by then that some genius can come up with another signer like trucha that will work with all the currently trucha-signed games. I am prepared to re-patch all the games and burn them again. HAHA!

Bob Evil

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Bloodlust said:
We can still hope by then that some genius can come up with another signer like trucha that will work with all the currently trucha-signed games. I am prepared to re-patch all the games and burn them again. HAHA!

See, that's the spirit ... why cry, when you can simply keep trying?

Bloodlust

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hong Kong
thebobevil said:
Bloodlust said:

See, that's the spirit ... why cry, when you can simply keep trying?

You are the man after my own.. we need more supporters like you instead of all the righteous dipshits around spending their time pouring cold water.
grog.gif

Luckily I still have a copy of an unsigned deca around, looks like at his point of time I'll have to prepare for the worst.

shtonkalot

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
thebobevil said:
You're missing my point ... my point is, that right now, my Freeloader still works, and that when it stops working, due to an update, I am quite prepared to accept that fact.

You talk as though I do not understand, simply because I do not have your reaction to the situation ... I more than understand, and I am more than aware of how things like this could affect me down the line. No I write (talking in text is hard) as though you don't understand as that is what appeared to be the case.QUOTE(thebobevil @ Mar 23 2008, 02:24 PM) You are doing something you should not be doing, and if the day comes when you cannot do it anymore, then it's a case of 'oh well, c'est la guerre ... we had a good run while it lasted.'
Yes that is true, I never suggested I wasn't "doing something you should not be doing". By writing that though it appears to me you are suggesting that you are not. I may be wrong but that is how I read it. Whether it is something that should or shouldn't be done is personal opinion and for me has nothing to do with my "reaction to the situation". It's all about the information for me, people seem to be getting the wrong idea here and I'm trying to point out some things that are known and are not.
You "more than understand" and "am more than aware of how things like this could affect me down the line". Well that's great. Can't help but wonder what more there could be to it though...

I'm glad you can accept consequences of your actions, so can I. If you have a different opinion than me on that I fail to see how you came to that conclusion.
I'm not sure what my "reaction to the situation" is supposed to be / mean but as this is getting off topic you may want to PM me if you feel the need to let me know what I'm doing.
My impression as to what I'm trying to do is help people look at the facts of this update and not go making hard opinions on unknown aspects of it.

nephdj

Trophies
XP
Country
Can someone explain the link between IOS37 and freeloader? I was under the impression freeloader had nothing to do with trucha-Signed

Im hoping someone could screenshot as proof to these theroys

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/4M3E1Lz6l9E?si=fSYNJxYTa0czXVow