Wii Problem. Very Odd Component Cable Trouble.

cartergamegeek

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I got a unopened component cable for my Wii and I have been up well over 12 hours at this point trying to solve something. The Wii has HomeBrew and it will not show a picture on my LG TV. The thing is many people said to use the green cable in a normal yellow composite input to get a black and white image to swap the Wii over to component. That is how I got audio. People keep saying it might be a pin 15 problem. Seeing as the cable was never used I got the Wii U to load into a 480p mode using the same cable. I have yet to find any real help on what might fix this. And I fear my own bad luck meaning it's a bad pin. Nothing has been able to heal and that is making me fear the worse.

jlorox1995

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yo why do i have the same problem ? 🤦‍♂️ i just posted about this! very relieved to see other people are weirdly struggling with it. it's like you said a pin 15 issue

cartergamegeek

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While these are not the best photos ever this is what I was working with. Wii worked fine until I tried those cables. It will not give me picture only audio and nobody can say why other than hearing the pin 15 get name dropped a lot.

Attachments

• 20230502_124208.jpg
    20230502_124208.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 66
  • 20230502_124249.jpg
    20230502_124249.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 44
  • 20230502_124501.jpg
    20230502_124501.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 51

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While these are not the best photos ever this is what I was working with. Wii worked fine until I tried those cables. It will not give me picture only audio and nobody can say why other than hearing the pin 15 get name dropped a lot.
I don't remember much about the wii, but does it have some sort of video option to switch to component? I know the ps2 does, and it will output video whether it's component or composite, but composite will not over component, so you'll get no video, only sound.

jlorox1995

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so you get no video at all? not even a little? have you tried putting the green in the yellow slot to get normal 480i composite video and switching in the wii menu to component? after doing that mine flickers on & off after lots & lots of tinkering with settings & homebrew, it's basically me getting "no signal" issue like you which is where i connect except my wii is then stuck fighting with itself back & forth between 480i & 480p no matter what i do, to the point i get a black screen on numerous televisions that support the resolution, to me i see that as a pin 15 issue, it /feels/ that way as i've used these cables in wii systems at 480p before. it's a nice jump in quality it sucks my newer (not mini) wii won't output or is struggling like you
i'm no expert even though i've used wii's forever, but i'd say we both probably need a new wii. hopefully someone else has a solution? ive not found much even though like you've said i see topics here & there about it with no solution software or hardware

cartergamegeek

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't remember much about the wii, but does it have some sort of video option to switch to component? I know the ps2 does, and it will output video whether it's component or composite, but composite will not over component, so you'll get no video, only sound.
This is where we get really dumb. If you go into setting you can turn on the 480p mode. I was able to get a black and white image using only the green component part in the composite yellow but once I hit the 480p and swapping to the full component mode I only got sound and no picture.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is where we get really dumb. If you go into setting you can turn on the 480p mode. I was able to get a black and white image using only the green component part in the composite yellow but once I hit the 480p and swapping to the full component mode I only got sound and no picture.
do you know if the inputs work for something else or have you tested another series of cables?

jlorox1995

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
not at all to hijack your issue but i just happen to be seeking help and this actually perfectly describes my issue. ^^^ it's bizarre
sound only, picture does not output or partially
it might not be the cables or the tv as many hypothesize but the internals of some wii consoles

cartergamegeek

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
do you know if the inputs work for something else or have you tested another series of cables?
Wii U works with the cable and that was unopened stock so it has never been used other than me. Got my Wii U into 480p mode on that TV so something here is the Wii or some weird HomeBrew thing.

cartergamegeek

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just wish I had a clear answer if it was pin 15 or if something other than that is the problem. Because I would rather not be forced to open the Wii up to try and fix it.

Clector

Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
If you set a 480i output on the Wii U, does it works on your TV?
It could be that your TV doesn't accept interlaced signals from the component input.

cartergamegeek

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you set a 480i output on the Wii U, does it works on your TV?
It could be that your TV doesn't accept interlaced signals from the component input.
Wii U used 480p so that TV does 480p. Had to go mess with the Wii U as a test but once the picture came in the info button on the TV said 480p. So it is likely the Wii and I hate that I likely need to open this thing and try and fix the motherboard.

Clector

Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
480i is interlaced, 480p is progressive, if using the analog port the Wii U should let you select the SD interlaced output which is normally unselectable through HDMI.

By the way:
The Wii detects if the user is using a component video cable by checking one of the pins of the port, which would be detected so with the correct cable. If it detects so, the output will switch to YPbPr and the software (the Wii Menu) will allow enabling progressive scan and switch to it.

If booting the Wii menu with other kind of cables like the composite cable for example, it'll automatically use interlaced as that's supported by the system on the other output signals noramlly (even RGB), even if connecting a component cable afterwards (without reseting the system) it will switch to YPbPr, but it won't switch to progressive until reseting the system (given that it was set by the user on the corresponding Settings option).

cartergamegeek

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
480i is interlaced, 480p is progressive, if using the analog port the Wii U should let you select the SD interlaced output which is normally unselectable through HDMI.

By the way:

The Wii detects if the user is using a component video cable by checking one of the pins of the port, which would be if detected so. If it detects so, the output will switch to YPbPr and the software (the Wii Menu) will allow enabling progressive scan and switch to it.

If booting the Wii menu with other kind of cables like the composite cable for example, it'll automatically use interlaced as that's supported by the system on the other output signals noramlly (even RGB), even if connecting a component cable afterwards (without reseting the system) it will switch to YPbPr, but it won't switch to progressive until reseting the system (given that it was set by the user on the corresponding Settings option).
I have the Wii set to 480p mode but never get picture. Many people said if pin 15 is bad it will not swap over. Loading up the Wii now on component now only gets me audio only. So I am starting to fear that the Wii has a busted chip and while it sees the cable it will not swap to the full progressive. And like many people here thanks for trying to help.

Clector

Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
You don't need to use pin 15 for a component cable, it's normally only used with the D-Terminal cable to send some data about the video signal between the devices (along two other p through the D-Temins on the Multi-Out port) through the D-Terminal connector.

cartergamegeek

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You don't need to use pin 15 for a component cable, it's normally only used with the D-Terminal cable to send some data about the video signal between the devices (along two other p through the D-Temins on the Multi-Out port) through the D-Terminal connector.
I keep seeing people say pin 15 controls progressive. All I know is the Wii is now audio only with that cable and the Wii U worked in 480p mode. So I have been trying to narrow down what the problem is. A few people on here all have the same problem. Modded the Wii and then switched to component and lost picture. So we are trying to work out if it is the system or some weird mod problem. I saw a few people say if pin 15 is busted it will do this audio only thing. This is all weird. If it's not that pin it could be one or 2 other things on the motherboard. I was hoping with enough people here chipping away we could solve this.
Post automatically merged:

Many more hours later and I can now say that it will swap to component if the cables are in but I only get sound. So it sees the cables and know it needs to be in 480p mode but for some reason it will not show the picture. I am getting more and more worried that I will need to open the Wii up and fix something.

Last edited by cartergamegeek,

zektor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You need to take a step back before opening things and "fixing" things that you think are just "broken" for some reason.

You most likely either have:

1. A defective component cable
2. A TV that is not properly accepting the signal
3. A TV that has an issue with the component connectors
4. Not moving to the proper input

You said this is a Wii problem, but I only see a Wii U (with a towel covering it no less?!?!?) in your picture.

If you are using an original Wii that we can't see why don't you try the process of elimination and see if the cable is bad first? Try this cable in the Wii U and connect to the TV and see if you can get picture. If so, cable is good

Next, try the Wii and the cable on a different TV and see if you can get picture. If so Wii and cable are good...

And, I am surprised anything there works as that is the most dust bunnies and dirt I think I have ever seen in an actual working environment. Cleaning it up will go a long way and for god sakes get that towel off of the Wii U.

cartergamegeek

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A few updates to not confuse people. The Wii is in the floor it's an 07 Wii with the GameCube ports on it. I dusted the room like crazy after those photos. It is a pain to get behind that TV. The Wii U can use that Wii component cable and run in 480p the Wii will only give me audio. Same LG TV so the cord and TV ports seem fine. I have an older Elgato HD that I held onto that has that support for component. It can't even see the Wii but it can see the Wii U in 480p mode. Even OBS could see the Wii U so sadly it must be the Wii and likely means I need to open it to fix something. Use my consoles for YouTube and the crazy thing is by plugging an Elgato HD 60 Pro into the out of the older Elgato HD I can in fact record the older card in bypass. Been using it as a test. The fact everything works on the Wii U but not the Wii in the floor means something with the Wii is the problem. I even set the Wii U to 4:3 and it still worked. My best guess is a capacitor. It seems like when they start to go bad the component output is often the first to go. That Wii was fixed by Nintendo once but only the disk drive the old capacitor set likely are about 16 years old and they often die after 15 to 20 years.

Reactions: jlorox1995

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    realtimesave @ realtimesave: well as far as metroid prime 4 is concerned, the next system probably is similar enough to the...