Wii Problem. Very Odd Component Cable Trouble.

jlorox1995

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You need to take a step back before opening things and "fixing" things that you think are just "broken" for some reason.

You most likely either have:

1. A defective component cable
2. A TV that is not properly accepting the signal
3. A TV that has an issue with the component connectors
4. Not moving to the proper input

You said this is a Wii problem, but I only see a Wii U (with a towel covering it no less?!?!?) in your picture.

If you are using an original Wii that we can't see why don't you try the process of elimination and see if the cable is bad first? Try this cable in the Wii U and connect to the TV and see if you can get picture. If so, cable is good

Next, try the Wii and the cable on a different TV and see if you can get picture. If so Wii and cable are good...

And, I am surprised anything there works as that is the most dust bunnies and dirt I think I have ever seen in an actual working environment. Cleaning it up will go a long way and for god sakes get that towel off of the Wii U.
thank you for your response but i think our good friend has ruled out these 3 solutions! they used the same component cables on the wii u and it operated just fine, you see which is why it is pictured . however, that means: the cables are fine , work, and their TV accepts a 480p signal, leaving it to be a defect in the console, which i too myself am unfortunately experiencing with my own wii console

Reactions: cartergamegeek

zektor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thank you for your response but i think our good friend has ruled out these 3 solutions! they used the same component cables on the wii u and it operated just fine, you see which is why it is pictured . however, that means: the cables are fine , work, and their TV accepts a 480p signal, leaving it to be a defect in the console, which i too myself am unfortunately experiencing with my own wii console

Strange. I have encountered many things with Wii consoles over the years but the inability to use component cables was certainly never one of them.

cartergamegeek

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unless somebody can 100% show me it is the HomeBrew messing with a setting I will stick to my theory that this Wii needs to be fixed. Based on other research it feels like the Wii has capacitor problems. Unless this is a weird HomeBrew error but nobody has came here and said oh it's likely this HomeBrew error. Based on the weeks of searches I have done I found a few other people that can not use a component cable and a few people even have component being discolored or weird. Then sometimes even the normal composite starts to look off. My Wii still has a strong composite output but many people have implied that component would be the first to go if the capacitor caps are going bad. The normal life of a capacitor is 15 to 20 years and my Wii would be pushing 16. Seeing as it is one of the first models it very likely is the age. Unless somebody shows up and can say it's the HomeBrew and not the Wii. I did all that testing for a reason. It's clearly the Wii or some weird HomeBrew error. And I can say that I have not done any weird NAND edits other than you know running HomeBrew. I also have BootMii Boot2 and use I run Priiloader so if my Wii capacitors still have a few years left in them something related to the HomeBrew is likely the problem. I have not been able to find an answer on that.

jlorox1995

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Strange. I have encountered many things with Wii consoles over the years but the inability to use component cables was certainly never one of them.
I KNOWW it's bizarre i felt the same way based on my experiences
Post automatically merged:

Unless somebody can 100% show me it is the HomeBrew messing with a setting I will stick to my theory that this Wii needs to be fixed. Based on other research it feels like the Wii has capacitor problems. Unless this is a weird HomeBrew error but nobody has came here and said oh it's likely this HomeBrew error. Based on the weeks of searches I have done I found a few other people that can not use a component cable and a few people even have component being discolored or weird. Then sometimes even the normal composite starts to look off. My Wii still has a strong composite output but many people have implied that component would be the first to go if the capacitor caps are going bad. The normal life of a capacitor is 15 to 20 years and my Wii would be pushing 16. Seeing as it is one of the first models it very likely is the age. Unless somebody shows up and can say it's the HomeBrew and not the Wii. I did all that testing for a reason. It's clearly the Wii or some weird HomeBrew error. And I can say that I have not done any weird NAND edits other than you know running HomeBrew. I also have BootMii Boot2 and use I run Priiloader so if my Wii capacitors still have a few years left in them something related to the HomeBrew is likely the problem. I have not been able to find an answer on that.
i have wondered the same thing but my red wii came homebrewed 🤦🏽‍♂️ i have managed to get 480p /running/ using homebrew, but then it struggles to stay that way as the system will then spaz every few seconds. i installed bootmii as well but it seems like a hardware issue. my wii even tries to output 720p and 1080i before it will just stay still at 480p. i resonate with your problem & the need to fix it my wii is a central hub to many things i like to play i'm sorry about yours! i might get a new system one day or if there's fix i'll bust it open and replace whatever cap it's sad to know they have a sort of time limit :/ the wii is not only really convenient but incredibly fun

Last edited by jlorox1995,

cartergamegeek

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I KNOWW it's bizarre i felt the same way based on my experiences

i have wondered the same thing but my red wii came homebrewed 🤦🏽‍♂️ i have managed to get 480p /running/ using homebrew, but then it struggles to stay that way as the system will then spaz every few seconds. i installed bootmii as well but it seems like a hardware issue. my wii even tries to output 720p and 1080i before it will just stay still at 480p. i resonate with your problem & the need to fix it my wii is a central hub to many things i like to play i'm sorry about yours! i might get a new system one day or if there's fix i'll bust it open and replace whatever cap it's sad to know they have a sort of time limit :/ the wii is not only really convenient but incredibly fun
Going to open my soon as the best guess I have is the bad caps. The age limit seems like the problem so in a few weeks I should have new caps added and that will finally solve our yes or no. It really does seem like that is the fix.

Reactions: jlorox1995

jlorox1995

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Going to open my soon as the best guess I have is the bad caps. The age limit seems like the problem so in a few weeks I should have new caps added and that will finally solve our yes or no. It really does seem like that is the fix.
i'm looking forward to your progress! glad you ordered new caps i am excited to see if it fixes your problems keep us posted!

cartergamegeek

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i'm looking forward to your progress! glad you ordered new caps i am excited to see if it fixes your problems keep us posted!
Don't have those fully ordered yet. But soon. Just trying to find the right voltage and I also want to know what that 16v cap on the motherboard controls. I know the 10v is USB and the 6v ones all seem to be audio and video. Not sure what the 16v is doing.

jlorox1995

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't have those fully ordered yet. But soon. Just trying to find the right voltage and I also want to know what that 16v cap on the motherboard controls. I know the 10v is USB and the 6v ones all seem to be audio and video. Not sure what the 16v is doing.
i just tried my cable on my baby sister's i modded white console and it was fine 😩 i'm here to remind you it's worth it solving this issue because the output definition is so much crisper . never give up on that LOL i'll say that! it's definitely not the cable or my set it's the wii's a few of us have. worth the fix imo. she didn't even understand what i was saying cuz she has poor vision LOL

cartergamegeek

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i just tried my cable on my baby sister's i modded white console and it was fine 😩 i'm here to remind you it's worth it solving this issue because the output definition is so much crisper . never give up on that LOL i'll say that! it's definitely not the cable or my set it's the wii's a few of us have. worth the fix imo. she didn't even understand what i was saying cuz she has poor vision LOL
Soon. Just need the parts. This will be worth doing and likely will restore the image.

jlorox1995

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Got our parts on the way. First update in ages. If this works I will add a note that it did. It really seems like aged caps ruin the video output.
Thanks for the update! i am genuinely excited to hear whether this works for you. 👍 it could also solve many peoples' problems with the console in the future, so thank you

BgYs

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Honestly I would recommend to buy a Wii2HDMI adapter... image quality is slighly worse but it's way more convenient than 5 pins component cable

clandestine

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm having a similar issue and it's sporadic. If I use my component cables my Wii will sometimes not display. Other times it displays a picture but it flickers on and off (ESPECIALLY if I move the Wii cursor on the screen). But after my TV has been on a while the whole issue goes away. It's bizarre.

The other thing is that this only really happens on the Wii Menu. It I can get into a piece of software all is well.

Last edited by clandestine,

cartergamegeek

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
New update. So after opening the Wii and replacing a few caps even after some pad damage we now have a clean component image. It now runs at 480p. So to go back to what started this all my cable was fine my TV was fine and my Wii was the problem. The board has now been fixed even if the job is a bit odd. Much like that $1 Wii video fixing the caps has fixed the image. The 480p looks good. So we can finally put this to rest.

Update 2 so all the soft mods still work and I was able to use GameCube games running in 480p. So The caps are fine. While not the cleanest fix it works. All of this for YouTube to record games using 480p as a base. Wii works fine and all the soft mods are fine too. So it really was the caps. To finally clear this once and for all it is the caps. Meaning that if a Wii starts to act weird with 480p it likely is the caps. Pack up everybody this has been solved. Thank you to everybody that pitched in but I can now 100% say it was the caps.

Last edited by cartergamegeek,

jlorox1995

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
New update. So after opening the Wii and replacing a few caps even after some pad damage we now have a clean component image. It now runs at 480p. So to go back to what started this all my cable was fine my TV was fine and my Wii was the problem. The board has now been fixed even if the job is a bit odd. Much like that $1 Wii video fixing the caps has fixed the image. The 480p looks good. So we can finally put this to rest.

Update 2 so all the soft mods still work and I was able to use GameCube games running in 480p. So The caps are fine. While not the cleanest fix it works. All of this for YouTube to record games using 480p as a base. Wii works fine and all the soft mods are fine too. So it really was the caps. To finally clear this once and for all it is the caps. Meaning that if a Wii starts to act weird with 480p it likely is the caps. Pack up everybody this has been solved. Thank you to everybody that pitched in but I can now 100% say it was the caps.
that's awesome! you just followed that one video with the $1 wii? i'm so glad to hear it fixed the issue for you, i think that was great work on your behalf & hopefully others with this issue down the line are able to find this thread . glad the gamecube works too. 👍

clandestine

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's probably what my issue is too. Ugh. I have sight issues and do not trust myself to fix the console. Maybe I should finally move to the Wii U. I love the Wii for it's simplicity and native 240p output.

cartergamegeek

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
that's awesome! you just followed that one video with the $1 wii? i'm so glad to hear it fixed the issue for you, i think that was great work on your behalf & hopefully others with this issue down the line are able to find this thread . glad the gamecube works too. 👍
My dad helped. He had the tools to fix it so this was mostly him. He put new caps on the board. He happen to have easy tools to open it so it was good getting him in on this. So it's his work that fixed it. Much like the $1 Wii video we broke one set of pads so he had to put caps sideways in a weird way to get it working. Then once we tested it the 480p image came in clean. So it really was bad caps. So even if you damage some pads as long as you get the trace connected it works. Going to use this Wii for YouTube. Made a few GameCube games progressive. I can say it did not have any image and now runs 480p like a dream. Mostly using it for GameCube games but the ones that run 480p finally give me the choice to use it.

That's probably what my issue is too. Ugh. I have sight issues and do not trust myself to fix the console. Maybe I should finally move to the Wii U. I love the Wii for it's simplicity and native 240p output.
Aged Wii consoles seem to lose 480p to aged caps. So in all our testing I can say my Wii is working fine after the cap fix. So you likely have an aged Wii past the point that makes it lose 480p.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: luke try not to say "for instance" or "etc." in a post challenge, level impossible