Homebrew Wii on (New) Nintendo 3DS: Is it possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

populustree

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That was sarcasm.
1. You are not the same person, so
2. I would not really be able to tell that it is sarcasm, it is very hard to do it through text.
3. I was also like this when I was younger, so I do know where that conclusion would come from.

Julie_Pilgrim

Secretly three raccoons in a trench coat
Trophies
Website
zoey-on-github.github.io
XP
Country
United States
buddy

it does not work like that

you literally can't
You seem to be new here, so I'll tell you right now that replying to a dead thread like this is generally frowned upon, especially if you don't add anything to the thread(sorry if this comes off as rude)

Moon164

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Wow... the people here are really rude.

Anyway, the Wii is superior to the 3DS in some ways (it is one of the reasons that many of the Wii ports you see on the 3DS suffer from downgrades), so... no, it is not possible to emulate the Wii on the 3DS, you basically want the PSP to be able to emulate the PS2.

But there are a few Wii games that have been ported to the 3DS that you can play:

Donkey Kong Country Returns

Xenoblade Chronicles ( Only New 3DS )

Kirby's Epic Yarn

Monster Hunter Tri

Bit.Trip Saga

Spider Man: Edge of Time

Need for Speed: The Run

Cave Story

Skylanders Superchargers Racing

Shakedown Hawaii

Retro City Rampage DX
Edge
One Piece Unlimited Cruise
Mario and Sonic: London Games
Sonic e Sega All-Star Racing
Some Lego Games

There are probably others, but these are the ones that come to mind now, this is probably the most close you will get from playing ''Wii Games'' on the 3DS.

Some of them are very well made ports, SpiderMan Edge of Time for the 3DS is very close to the Wii version, the only thing that bothers is the lack of a second analog stick.

Last edited by Moon164,

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Wow... the people here are really rude.

Anyway, the Wii is superior to the 3DS in some ways (it is one of the reasons that many of the Wii ports you see on the 3DS suffer from downgrades), so... no, it is not possible to emulate the Wii on the 3DS, you basically want the PSP to be able to emulate the PS2.

But there are a few Wii games that have been ported to the 3DS that you can play:

Donkey Kong Country Returns

Xenoblade Chronicles ( Only New 3DS )

Kirby's Epic Yarn

Monster Hunter Tri

Bit.Trip Saga

Spider Man: Edge of Time

Need for Speed: The Run

Cave Story

Skylanders Superchargers Racing

Shakedown Hawaii

Retro City Rampage DX
Edge
One Piece Unlimited Cruise
Mario and Sonic: London Games
Sonic e Sega All-Star Racing
Some Lego Games

There are probably others, but these are the ones that come to mind now, this is probably the most close you will get from playing ''Wii Games'' on the 3DS.

Last edited by lone_wolf323,

Julie_Pilgrim

Trophies
Website
zoey-on-github.github.io
XP
Country
United States
I dont see how these can be called wii games that are ported. Ported means that they have a wii emulator within their games to run. All of these are games fully developed for the 3ds. Which means overhauls to all coding to make everything work correctly. Its like saying the 2 zelda games were ported. They are not, they are fully redeveloped for the 3ds.
That's not what port means, port means bringing the game to another platform

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
That's not what port means, port means bringing the game to another platform
Porting is also the term used when a video game designed to run on one platform, be it an arcade, video game console, or personal computer, is converted to run on a different platform. From the beginning of video games through to the 1990s, "ports", at the time often known as "conversions", were often not true ports, but rather reworked versions of the games due to limitations of different systems

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porting#:~:text=Porting is also the term,run on a different platform.

Last edited by lone_wolf323,
  • Haha
Reactions: Cris1997XX

Julie_Pilgrim

Trophies
Website
zoey-on-github.github.io
XP
Country
United States
Porting is also the term used when a video game designed to run on one platform, be it an arcade, video game console, or personal computer, is converted to run on a different platform. From the beginning of video games through to the 1990s, "ports", at the time often known as "conversions", were often not true ports, but rather reworked versions of the games due to limitations of different systems

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porting#:~:text=Porting is also the term,run on a different platform.

This basically implies what I said. Your not getting true ports as everything would be 1 to 1 from what the Wii has to what the 3ds would run.
No, you said they're running on an emulator, this says a game is being converted to run on another platform, which is kinda what I said

coffinbirth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
LOL at this thread...should've been locked years ago, haha. Necro bumping it to say something silly was....silly as well. I honestly thought it was an April Fools thing until I read the date.

"I dont see how these can be called wii games that are ported. Ported means that they have a wii emulator within their games to run. All of these are games fully developed for the 3ds. Which means overhauls to all coding to make everything work correctly. Its like saying the 2 zelda games were ported. They are not, they are fully redeveloped for the 3ds."

Whut? This is one of the most misinformed things I've read on this site, haha. wow.

Martinelplayz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You Could Play NDS games on Wii, but how about Wii on 3DS?
You Could Play PS1 Games on New 3DS/2DS (XL), and N64 on every (New) 3DS/2DS (XL), but does the New 3DS have enough power to run the dolphin emulator?

Of Course, We could have a options menu saying if you want the Wii Remote to be horizontal/vertical, use the touch screen as moving the Wii cursor, and use circle pad as Nunchuck.
The controls would be:
Wii Remote (Standalone) 3DS Controls | Wii Controls Note: To enter the System menu, press A+B to get enter the Home Screen.
---------------------------------------------------
D-Pad | Dpad
A | A
X | 1
Y | 2
Start/Select | +/-
B | B Trigger
Touch Screen | Wii Remote Movement

With Using Nunchuck, Circle Pad will be Joysick, L would be C, and R would be Z.

So Again, Is it possible to have a Wii emulator on the New 3DS?

Edit: wad files will be installed channels for Wii system menu
the reason the wii couldnt emulate the 3ds was bc of hardware so the 3ds should definitely be able to emulate the wii

Martinelplayz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it's possible for the n3ds to natively run the same game ported over from the wii, but those have a lot of hardware specific tweaks done with the 3ds in mind. but...emulation of a wii game? Nah. Emulation requires quite a deal more amount of power to run the same hardware. Even the most efficient emulators will still require a lot of extra juice to make those translations between different hardwares and calls and whatnot. So it's not going to happen, unfortunately.

But the switch might be able to. maybe. possibly. err...well, maybe.
the switch already has emulated the wii. as well as emulate the 3ds. though it had only been done through homebrewing which i strongly suggest not to be done . . . yet. the switch is still actively being supported by nintendo leaving not much reason to homebrew it other than nintendo not allowing some things.

XRTerra

What if instead of ohio, it was kai cenat land
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wish :(

But with some decompiling work(which might not even happen for multiple reasons) and some clever use of the n3ds's hardware to port maybe a gamecube game over, perhaps. I'm not getting my hopes up, but it isn't 100% impossible to maybe see a port of a simpler gamecube game if a decompiling/source code leak ever happens.

The 3ds does have a better cpu and more ram than the wii and gamecube(mhz doesn't matter, its the nm process. A 3 ghz cpu with a 95 nm process is gonna do a lot worse than a 2.5 ghz cpu with a 10 nm process).

The GPU on the 3ds is kind of midway between the n64 and gamecube though. It's definitely a lot better than the n64's, but not as powerful as the GameCube's.

Ps1 and n64 emulation is the best possible on the 3ds

For now

Dreamcast emulation MIGHT be a SLIGHT possibility if there were to be several optimizations done. Perhaps custom 3ds gpu drivers? Probably not happening, but again, I WISH

DS emulation on the gamecube MIGHT be a possibility, but on the wii it would definitely work.

Last edited by XRTerra,

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
the reason the wii couldnt emulate the 3ds was bc of hardware so the 3ds should definitely be able to emulate the wii
Well, gee whiz, there you have it. Clearly everyone else who posted in this thread before over the last two years lacked your keen and penetrating insight, and now that you have shown us the way, Wii emulation on the 3DS will surely spring forth from the minds of the clever Internet elves. If not for you bumping this thread again we would all have wandered in darkness forever.

XRTerra

What if instead of ohio, it was kai cenat land
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's like saying the ps3 can't emulate the 3ds, so the 3ds can emulate the ps3. No. There's a lot more to emulation than the power of the device.

Emulating a console takes a lot of horsepower. You can't just emulate a ps4 because your PC is more powerful than it. You have to essentially have virtual hardware, along with your pc's hardware working together to emulate a console. For example, snes emulation today for example is super easy, but in the 90's it was still being developed and some computer's just couldn't do it.
You also have to take into consideration the architecture of the console. Some console architectures are just hard to emulate, but nowadays nintendo is guaranteed to use arm chips, while sony and microsoft has realized "Let's use x86 so that our current gen console isn't twice as good as a ps3/xbox360"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, Stepcroc, I'm stuck.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Those are monitor lizards you dunce.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I'm funny. lol.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Eggs and roasted potatoes came out good
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Watching the first omen and so far it's not the priest doing the scaring
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Shouldn't the kid be the scary one?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The second omen: the chior boy gets his revenge
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Reverse exorcist: it's when you hire a demon to remove the priest out of a small child.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Hire Kendrick Drake possessed a minor again
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah, I'd run away from his singing too.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I wonder if Drakes still allowed to use his Instagram
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sounds like everyone has some great imaginary friends
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Yeah, that was insane.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Don't know what Drake was even thinking.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    What every rich scumbag thinks that they can put their dick on anything and get away with it
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I better hide my silicone Tifa doll
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What did Drake do, exactly? I don't follow celeb gossip.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, Supposed accusations that Drake groomed a minor.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Allegedly groomed a 17 year old Instagram model or something along those lines
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Yep, something like that.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1MJtV0UPI8