Hacking Wii Menu 4.2 Released

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And most people who updated to a hex-edited 4.2 had the sense to not let boot2 be overwritten, so even if they screwed up horribly they could restore and try again.

zektor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
mdp_1992 said:
Crap...CRAP ... OVER 9000 CRAP!

Well I did the Hex thing.
Worked like a charm! 4.2U...Backups works...VC/WiiWare work...only one tiny little problem...
HBC disapeared T-T
...The Hell can I do now?
And when I tried using BootMii...I couldn't...

Then you didn't hex edit it correctly. It should have these sums:

MD5: 9b2547f68ad8f71096990d9332ad948c
SHA1: 7c27c755af4b9f2735e5021e4326cdf7033d0904

You'll have to get a correctly hex'ed system menu, run wad manager via some method (maybe forwarder iso from a backup loader), and reinstall it. Then, since the hackmii installer does not work with 4.2, you'll have to get a wad version of the original "HAXX" homebrew channel and install. I warned you earlier not to mess around if you didn't know exactly what you were doing.

mdp_1992

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
zektor said:
mdp_1992 said:

Worked like a charm! 4.2U...Backups works...VC/WiiWare work...only one tiny little problem...
HBC disapeared T-T

What would you recommend me doing?

9th_Sage

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
s3phir0th115 said:
brett824 said:
Wow Marcan is a pretty huge douche.

Yeah. He has a reputation for that exact thing....

I don't understand why he thinks it's wrong to modify software on the Wii and install it. I'm well aware of the risks, and it's sure as hell faster than waiting for their installer to be made for it.
I think that what he's saying really is that this can be dangerous. It's almost certain someone will try this and brick their Wii, then come crying to someone about it. I mean, look at the kinds of dumb things people do as it is, and that's not even doing something as exact as manually patching your system menu.

KiiNG

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
zektor said:
mdp_1992 said:

HBC disapeared T-T

Why don't you just.. turn the Wii off, and go do something else for a day or two -- it'll save you some money, if not a headache. The new BannerBomb, HackMii Installer, and Wani's updater should all be out within a couple of days. Learn your lesson once.

9th_Sage

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
zektor said:
I'm sure TT will work out a new installer, but I can guarantee they will have to adjust their title ID to something other than "HAXX" to get it on a virgin 4.2U system menu. And if so, there will be a lot of homebrew issues (like I had with returning to the HBC when it did not have the "HAXX" id)
Out of curiosity, what did happen? A black screen?

*edit*
Oh, also, in the comments over on HackMii Comex says a fix for BannerBomb is incoming. Nice.

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
9th_Sage said:
zektor said:
I'm sure TT will work out a new installer, but I can guarantee they will have to adjust their title ID to something other than "HAXX" to get it on a virgin 4.2U system menu. And if so, there will be a lot of homebrew issues (like I had with returning to the HBC when it did not have the "HAXX" id)
Marcan already mentioned that there won't be that problem since the issue has to do with the titleid being hard-coded into the HBC in various places. Since they kinda made thething they'll update it without trouble.

zektor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
9th_Sage said:
zektor said:

Black screen and wiimote disconnect. It is only because any app that has a "return to loader" option calls "HAXX" upon exit. If it is not called "HAXX", it will not reload the channel. Some apps have a "Return to Wii Menu" option as well, and that did of course work fine. If the HBC has a different title id in an upcoming release (it will have to to remain on an untouched/unmodded system menu) it might mess with alot of the current applications that have the HBC reload feature.

9th_Sage

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
FenrirWolf said:
Marcan already mentioned that there won't be that problem since the issue has to do with the titleid being hard-coded into the HBC in various places. Since they kinda made thething they'll update it without trouble.
So what you're saying is that apps read the titleid out of one of these hard-coded spots? That's a pretty good feature, maybe they suspected they'd have to do this eventually.

marcan_troll

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So you finally made me re-register. BTW: The rules are hilarious, especially the "I will not ask for warez" bit. Hint: asking for or providing hexedited HBC is, technically speaking, warez.

But anyway, I really don't care what people do with their own Wii, I just think it is extremely stupid and dangerous when people provide stupid, broken, dangerous hacks for newbies to use. Want to fuck up every IOS beyond recognition, mod every last bitmap pixel in your Wii, hexedit every title ID to read LULZ, and make the System Menu say "oh shit" when you brick your Wii, just because you think it's funny? Go ahead! Just don't go around publishing that kind of crap, and certainly not without at least 10 pages of red text explaining why it's a really really REALLY stupid idea to install. And for fuck's sake, don't go around offering WAD versions of HBC, hacked or not. It's unsupported and illegal (and against forum rules, not that I'd ever expect the admins to give a shit), but moreso, it's very insulting.

It's not the people who fuck up their consoles that annoy me, it's those that pretend they know what they're doing and then go around publishing crap as if it were the awesomest schtuff in the universe, only to cause grief to users. And this goes for everything from system menu mods to wanky's updaters and patchers. I've gotten several dozen e-mails asking whether you can fix a brick caused by his crappy, untested, unchecked, poorly coded updaters with a SaveMii. The answer is, of course, no you can't.

So, if you screw up your Wii with stupid stuff I'll laugh a little inside, but if you go around publishing crap for the world to use, you'll annoy me and there's a chance I'll publicly flame you. You know, because I hope at least some clueless folk who doesn't know what he's doing who might think twice about touching the stuff after reading my flame. As much as you guys love to flame me, I think the track record of the software I used to help with for the Wii is good enough that at least I must somewhat know what I'm talking about.

Also, hint: there will be no issues caused by the Title ID change for HBC. Just because someone's stupid hexedit didn't work doesn't mean the real release won't. The HAXX title is hardcoded into the return stub left in memory by HBC, not into any apps (we're not monopolistic like that: if you use your own stub, you can make your own loader with a working return to it from apps). In fact, the "return to" stuff existed since the Twilight Hack, and it hasn't changed significantly since then. It predates even knowing how to launch channels or title IDs.

Pre-emptive reply to the whole "but you left the Wii scene" business: I haven't touched a line of Wii code in months. I rarely even test stuff that the rest of the team release now. I've updated to 4.2 (and lost homebrew) to make an exception, so I can test the final release of the new installer (I don't really care about homebrew myself anyway: except for a few Brawl matches, my Wii is gathering dust). I don't follow forums or anything else, and I only hang around on #wiidev and company to help with administration (no, no one has asked me to leave, kthx). I made an exception for this update because I'll admit it got me slightly excited, and because I was again reminded of just how completely stupid some people are when it comes to these things. These days I spend my time on other, less stressful, projects. I'm even about to contribute something that might be used by many more people than all the Wii homebrew business, and yet no one will find out, there will be no flame wars, no idiots messing stuff up. It's so much better that way. I already got a taste of the whole "popular hacky software for consoles which warezors inevitably abuse to warez" business (which is slowly fading away and not quite gone yet), and I don't have any intention of trying it again (don't expect any DSi stuff from me).

zektor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
marcan_troll said:
And for fuck's sake, don't go around offering WAD versions of HBC, hacked or not. It's unsupported and illegal (and against forum rules, not that I'd ever expect the admins to give a shit), but moreso, it's very insulting.

It was not meant to insult. It was meant initially simply to test and see if Nintendo did indeed simply add code to the new system menu to remove the "HAXX" id. Nonetheless, link has been deleted.

QUOTE(marcan_troll @ Sep 29 2009, 11:19 PM) Also, hint: there will be no issues caused by the Title ID change for HBC. Just because someone's stupid hexedit didn't work doesn't mean the real release won't. The HAXX title is hardcoded into the return stub left in memory by HBC, not into any apps (we're not monopolistic like that: if you use your own stub, you can make your own loader with a working return to it from apps). In fact, the "return to" stuff existed since the Twilight Hack, and it hasn't changed significantly since then. It predates even knowing how to launch channels or title IDs.

Good knowledge. I was not aware of exactly how the return stub worked, and now I am. But I still have to wonder why the return stub would not be left in memory if the title id had been changed. Protective measure?

TiMeBoMb4u2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
marcan_troll said:
So you finally made me re-register. BTW: The rules are hilarious, especially the "I will not ask for warez" bit. Hint: asking for or providing hexedited HBC is, technically speaking, warez.

But anyway, I really don't care what people do with their own Wii, I just think it is extremely stupid and dangerous when people provide stupid, broken, dangerous hacks for newbies to use. Want to fuck up every IOS beyond recognition, mod every last bitmap pixel in your Wii, hexedit every title ID to read LULZ, and make the System Menu say "oh shit" when you brick your Wii, just because you think it's funny? Go ahead! Just don't go around publishing that kind of crap, and certainly not without at least 10 pages of red text explaining why it's a really really REALLY stupid idea to install. And for fuck's sake, don't go around offering WAD versions of HBC, hacked or not. It's unsupported and illegal (and against forum rules, not that I'd ever expect the admins to give a shit), but moreso, it's very insulting.

It's not the people who fuck up their consoles that annoy me, it's those that pretend they know what they're doing and then go around publishing crap as if it were the awesomest schtuff in the universe, only to cause grief to users. And this goes for everything from system menu mods to wanky's updaters and patchers. I've gotten several dozen e-mails asking whether you can fix a brick caused by his crappy, untested, unchecked, poorly coded updaters with a SaveMii. The answer is, of course, no you can't.

So, if you screw up your Wii with stupid stuff I'll laugh a little inside, but if you go around publishing crap for the world to use, you'll annoy me and there's a chance I'll publicly flame you. You know, because I hope at least some clueless folk who doesn't know what he's doing who might think twice about touching the stuff after reading my flame. As much as you guys love to flame me, I think the track record of the software I used to help with for the Wii is good enough that at least I must somewhat know what I'm talking about.

Also, hint: there will be no issues caused by the Title ID change for HBC. Just because someone's stupid hexedit didn't work doesn't mean the real release won't. The HAXX title is hardcoded into the return stub left in memory by HBC, not into any apps (we're not monopolistic like that: if you use your own stub, you can make your own loader with a working return to it from apps). In fact, the "return to" stuff existed since the Twilight Hack, and it hasn't changed significantly since then. It predates even knowing how to launch channels or title IDs.

Pre-emptive reply to the whole "but you left the Wii scene" business: I haven't touched a line of Wii code in months. I rarely even test stuff that the rest of the team release now. I've updated to 4.2 (and lost homebrew) to make an exception, so I can test the final release of the new installer (I don't really care about homebrew myself anyway: except for a few Brawl matches, my Wii is gathering dust). I don't follow forums or anything else, and I only hang around on #wiidev and company to help with administration (no, no one has asked me to leave, kthx). I made an exception for this update because I'll admit it got me slightly excited, and because I was again reminded of just how completely stupid some people are when it comes to these things. These days I spend my time on other, less stressful, projects. I'm even about to contribute something that might be used by many more people than all the Wii homebrew business, and yet no one will find out, there will be no flame wars, no idiots messing stuff up. It's so much better that way. I already got a taste of the whole "popular hacky software for consoles which warezors inevitably abuse to warez" business (which is slowly fading away and not quite gone yet), and I don't have any intention of trying it again (don't expect any DSi stuff from me).
FenrirWolf said:
Just you wait. Silly people are going to chainquote your huge post 20 times over and make the thread nigh unreadable. >_>
Why would we do that, FenrirWolf?

biggrin.gif

BBking83

Trophies
XP
Country
What will you be working on, marcan_troll? I'm interested.
*Hint: I know you won't say...*

And, in regards to the SD menu and getting channels to load, I thought you needed to installed the patched/trucha signed IOS60, not 70??

marcan_troll

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
zektor said:
It was not meant to insult. It was meant initially simply to test and see if Nintendo did indeed simply add code to the new system menu to remove the "HAXX" id. Nonetheless, link has been deleted.
Feel free to test whatever, but there's no point in offering a "test" up for everyone else. Heck, I don't even have a problem with people trying to reverse engineer our exploits and even "protections", as long as they don't publish the results.

zektor said:
But I still have to wonder why the return stub would not be left in memory if the title id had been changed. Protective measure?
I don't get what you're asking there. Oh wait, you're asking why it breaks when the TitleID changes? Well, the TitleID is hardcoded into the stub (the code doesn't actively read it from the Wii, it's just hardcoded into the binary blob that becomes the stub). The stub is there, it just can't launch the proper title. There's a MY_TITLEID #define used all over HBC, it's a compile-time constant. I bet even the "reload" option of HBC's home menu didn't work when you changed the ID.

By the way, the source for our reload stub isn't public (to my knowledge, I'm not 100% sure). It's nothing out of the ordinary, but if someone's bored, I suggest they try to disassemble and reverse engineer it. It's pretty simple and you might learn something about the wii in the process (and it doesn't use libogc, so no cruft). You can dump it from lowmem from any app launched via HBC.

QUOTE(BBking83 @ Sep 30 2009, 04:40 AM)
What will you be working on, marcan_troll? I'm interested.
*Hint: I know you won't say...*
Wha? If someone wants to troll me that bad they have my real name anyway, so I really don't care. Besides personal projects (frickin' lasers, see my youtube account), I'm working on improving iPhone sync on Linux. Specifically USB stuff and music sync stuff (that pesky hash).

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But in all seriousness I do agree that some of the mods people put out are pretty silly. I still don't see the appeal of having something like cioscorp turn your Wii into delicious Scrambled IOS just to load a burned game from the disc channel. >_>

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://youtu.be/WwFuB1GRKz4