Gaming Wii & GameCube

o2oxygen

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hello i know this might be a stupid question... but based on searching using google when others are playing game cube games on their wii they get some errors..

so any one experience this? im planning to get Luigi's Mansion and play it on my Wii...

will playing game cube games be harmful to your wii?

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Then that's poppycock, Gamecube games work fine on the Wii. I've played my fair share and none of them have errors or hurt your Wii.

It's fine, it was built with backwards compatibility for a reason.

Thoob

LOLmonade.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The Wii is just an overclocked GameCube. You won't have any problems playing GC games on your Wii!
yaywii.gif

soued031

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have lots of Gamecube games which work on my Wii , all Mario games seem to work I have for exemple also Luigi's Mansion. I have heard that Starfox game's have some problem with audio... not sure exactly what it is. But if you play known Gamecube games they often work
wink.gif

o2oxygen

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
thans for the reply guys... i think im gonna buy the game now even if its used because its hard to find new game cube games now...

BTW: what is the difference between PAL & NTSC? and how to know what type is my Wii?

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
o2oxygen said:
thans for the reply guys... i think im gonna buy the game now even if its used because its hard to find new game cube games now...

BTW: what is the difference between PAL & NTSC? and how to know what type is my Wii?

PAL and NTSC are regions. I'm pretty sure the Philippines is PAL, so if you're buying a copy of the game, make sure it's PAL.

o2oxygen

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Guild McCommunist said:
o2oxygen said:

PAL and NTSC are regions. I'm pretty sure the Philippines is PAL, so if you're buying a copy of the game, make sure it's PAL.

uhm yeah but i bought my Wii from the US? would that be an issue? sorry if im asking newbie questions

Juanmatron

Slater Color
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Thoob said:
The Wii is just an overclocked GameCube. You won't have any problems playing GC games on your Wii!
yaywii.gif

GameCube:

hwdia1.png

Wii:

hwdia14.png

GameCube Hardware (very respectable):

-PowerPC CPU 485Mhz ("Gekko")
-24MB of main memory (1T-SRAM), 16MB of memory audio and DVD (DRAM)
-GPU "Flipper" to 162Mhz (developed by ArtX, now ATI)
-Optical disc drive unit (DVDs modified)
-Expansion ports, drives, memory cards, etc.

Wii Hardware:

Update now the CPU at 729Mhz and the GPU at 243Mhz and add the following:

-64MB of GDDR3 memory (replace the 16MB DRAM)
-SD Card Reader
-USB
-Bluetooth (wireless controllers)
-WiFi

Burton

Real Life VIP and Educator
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
o2oxygen said:
Guild McCommunist said:
o2oxygen said:

uhm yeah but i bought my Wii from the US? would that be an issue? sorry if im asking newbie questions

On the system menu screen of your Wii, in the lower-left corner, is the Wii Options button. Click on it. Now click on Wii Settings. You will be presented with the Wii System Settings 1 page. In the upper-right corner is the current Wii Firmware you are running.

Let's see this example: the wii firmware is 4.2. The letter next to the number represents the region.

Example: 4.2u=NTSC, 4.2e=PAL, 4.2j=NTSC-J

luminalace

Trophies
XP
Country
If you bought a Wii from the USA then it's likely to be a NTSC Wii! If this is the case then without a modchip or softmod you will only be able to play games from North America! This also means that only Gamecube games from that region will work on your unmodded Wii!

o2oxygen

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
thanks for the info guys and i have a clean wii i dont have a softmod and modchip..

but i was thinking to make a softmod and install hombrew channel is that harmful? im new to this wii havent tried hacking it my version is 4.3U the latest i think

o2oxygen

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
thanks for the info guys and i have a clean wii i dont have a softmod and modchip..

but i was thinking to make a softmod and install hombrew channel is that harmful? im new to this wii havent tried hacking it my version is 4.3U the latest i think

EDIT:

sorry for the double post GBA temp gave me an error of flood control and when i hit back its there. 2 post and i didnt know why it happend

geoflcl

Permanent GBAtemp Newbie
Trophies
Website
loganderb.in
XP
Country
United States
o2oxygen said:

Gaww, you're at 4.3?

Well, softmodding isn't gonna be so easy, then.

There is some ways, but I can't vouch for em'. And they don't explain them in a very "newbie-friendly" manner.

You sure you can't just get NTSC games?

o2oxygen

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
geoflcl said:
o2oxygen said:

Gaww, you're at 4.3?

Well, softmodding isn't gonna be so easy, then.

There is some ways, but I can't vouch for em'. And they don't explain them in a very "newbie-friendly" manner.

You sure you can't just get NTSC games?

uhm sorry but what do you mean by "You sure you can't just get NTSC games?" do you mean that i cant buy some NTSC games here or i cant literaly play NTSC games?

and do i need to soft mod to install Hombrew Channel? i dont want to do a USB loader something it will just force me to do pirate you know what im talking about =)

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Yes...in order to install the homebrew channel, you'll need to softmod it. And the latest firmware isn't capable of hacking without a retail version of Smash Brosh Brawl (NTSC only) or Lego Indiana Jones (either PAL or NTSC).

Are you sure of your firmware? As Burton mentioned, the "U" in 4.3U indicates that it's a NTSC wii. And it indeed requires NTSC wii games.

Well: if you softmod it, there are some tricks to get out-of-region games to work. But like I said: to softmod it, you'll need one of those retail games first.
smile.gif

d3monsting

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So basically, unless you can get NTSC games, you will need to soft mod it... which requires an NTSC or PAL version of SSBB, or NTSC Indiana. However, by saying this I'm not telling you to go and do anything illegal nor am I implying it...

o2oxygen

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Wever said:
Yes...in order to install the homebrew channel, you'll need to softmod it. And the latest firmware isn't capable of hacking without a retail version of Smash Brosh Brawl (NTSC only) or Lego Indiana Jones (either PAL or NTSC).

Are you sure of your firmware? As Burton mentioned, the "U" in 4.3U indicates that it's a NTSC wii. And it indeed requires NTSC wii games.

Well: if you softmod it, there are some tricks to get out-of-region games to work. But like I said: to softmod it, you'll need one of those retail games first.
smile.gif

yes im sure that it is U i bought it on GameStop in USA California. and fortunately i also have SSBB USA version i also bought it when i bought my Wii

QUOTESo basically, unless you can get NTSC games, you will need to soft mod it... which requires an NTSC or PAL version of SSBB, or NTSC Indiana. However, by saying this I'm not telling you to go and do anything illegal nor am I implying it...

yes i know im not going to do illegal stuffs.. i just want hombrew channel to add up on my Menu and maybe use the DVD player? is that illegal?

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
o2oxygen said:
yes i know im not going to do illegal stuffs.. i just want hombrew channel to add up on my Menu and maybe use the DVD player? is that illegal?
Possibly. I don't know everything about it, and it may differ from different countries, but using exploits to install not nintendo-approved programs goes against the user license.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: only ps5 updated to latest firmware can go on psn, jailbroken ones just don't use psn or they...