Wii #1362 - EA SPORTS™ Grand Slam Tennis (Europe)

HopOnRocks

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So I'm running a 4.0 NTSC Wii, this game requires an update.
It is safe to do? Is there anyway that I can block this one? It's probably only 3.4E but can that do any harm?

ShadowXP

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Neversoft said:
*checks the price of a Wii Motion+*

Cheapest I can find online is £18.99... Are Nintendo having a laugh?

If they want the add-on to penetrate the Wii market properly they need to bring that price down to about the £10 mark or bundle the add-on for an extra fiver or something with games that require it and stop milking the peripherals until the Wii's udders bleed. I realise they're in this business to make money but in this instance I think they'd be wiser getting as many of these things out there as possible and cashing in on the games that require it. I'm not sure if it's getting bundled with Wii Sports Resort or not but if you don't want that, you're looking at shelling out £60 to play THIS game as the developers intended.

My respect for this company finally hit a new low. The price of this 'dongle' is a complete fucking joke. For a technology that was promised right from the get go, Nintendo has been taking us for a complete ride. £18 to allow me to do what the Wii was INTENDED to do in the first place is beyond ridiculous, and until this shit gets sorted (it probably won't) I'll continue to pirate Nintendo.

berlinka

You have sustained a lethal injury.
Trophies
Website
www.berlinka.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
I played a bit (without the WMP) and I love this game. Especially matches against other online players are big fun! Very addicting stuff! The cartooney style of the players reminds me very much of Shaun White Snowboarding for Wii.

Even without Wii Motion Plus this game is great! Don't let yourself be put off by what some people might say.

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
berlinka said:
I played a bit (without the WMP) and I love this game. Especially matches against other online players are big fun! Very addicting stuff! The cartooney style of the players reminds me very much of Shaun White Snowboarding for Wii.

Even without Wii Motion Plus this game is great! Don't let yourself be put off by what some people might say.

Thanks for the feedback, will keep it in mind.
I'll just wait for the GameRankings page to gather some reviews, I'll decide then.
For everyone interested, the scrubbed version is 2.5GB

Raylene2K7

Trophies
XP
Country
Jamaica
So, now i've played it for like 30 minutes and guess what - I don't like it

Some people here may think i'm the only one who doesn't like the game or EA but look at the reviews:
http://www.gamerankings.com/wii/958432-gra...nnis/index.html
a current GameRanking average of 65% proofs me right

I don't have WMP yet but i don't think it would change my mind.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Raylene2K7 said:
Some people here may think i'm the only one who doesn't like the game or EA but look at the reviews:
http://www.gamerankings.com/wii/958432-gra...nnis/index.html
a current GameRanking average of 65% proofs me right
lulwut? There are 3 reviews there, and two liked it (7 is a decent score actually) add IGNs score that makes 3/4 liking the game. Plus there is also Berlinka saying its good and I trust Berlinka more than any reviewer and especially more than most of the people here.

I thought it was a pretty good tennis game personally and this is without the motion+ add on which I can't get until Thursday here.

Not much in way of longevity though, I fount the carreer mode to be rather lacking. Not bothered going online yet but I played this with the Mrs and we had a lot of fun, definitely a must for those who want a good tennis game to play with friends. The mini games are fun too though nothing original.

Based on the regular controls I'd give it 7/10, which means its good but needs a few things ironed out. For me more precise controls will improve it so maybe motion+ will improve it for me. I do get the impression that it was rushed out so it'll be out before Motion Plus and also to counter SEGA's own Virtua Tennis 09 which is also out this week and based on that series, it should be better.

ringorinfret

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
can anyone confirm if this works on 3.2U or 3.3v1 U (that means without having to update) or it needs new IOSes ?

thanks!

(before I waste my bandwidth I might as well ask)

Snave2008

Trophies
Website
www.completelyfreewii.com
XP
Country
Has anyone using a PAL Wii managed to play a game online yet? For me it finds the opponent connects and then just as the game's about to start says the connection has been lost. And this happened every time!

Is it because they know the game isn't out over here yet?

berlinka

You have sustained a lethal injury.
Trophies
Website
www.berlinka.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Snave2008 said:
Has anyone using a PAL Wii managed to play a game online yet? For me it finds the opponent connects and then just as the game's about to start says the connection has been lost. And this happened every time!

Is it because they know the game isn't out over here yet?

I am from the Netherlands and have a PAL Wii. I played several matches online. Finding an opponent sometimes takes a little while but mostly within a minute and I also experienced a few "dropouts" even before starting. But in the end I played against a fellow from the US and from Sweden.

So online works.

shredman

Trophies
XP
Country
As posted in NTSC topic...

MotionPlus Works great with this game!

You guys obviously don't know how to actually swing a tennis raquet....!

1. Hold the remote (if right handed) with the B button facing right
2. The back of the remote when swung to the right is a backhand
3. The front of the remote when swung to the left is a forehand

Shot accuracy just like in real life is affected by your timing
In order to hit a off forehand (a drifting forehand to the right) you
must strike to ball quite late equally a off backhand is stuck very
late in order for it to drift out harder.

I own the game with MP and it works great!
Pete Sampras showed off the game at E3 and he was swinging the
remote like a raquet and he was having no problems. You don't need to
have weird motions to use this correctly.

dippyx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
For UK peeps the cheapest Ive seen the motion+ is £15.95 at Zavvi online. You can order through quidco as well for additional discount. Amazon is slightly cheaper but their delivery (3 - 5 days) sucks.

Just waiting for mine to arrive
smile.gif

chadders

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Guys i need some help??

Ive been out the wii scene for a little while and ive just updated to 4.0E using the ultimate 4.0 update guide yestarday.

Everything went ok and it was/is all working.

Im thinking of getting the motion plus add ons 2moz so i got myself a copy of grand slam tennis and burnt it using imgburn.

Ive put the disc in and like a fuckin bell end did the update off the disc. The system updated, the wii restarted and the game showed up in the disc channel. I click on the disc channel and after a few seconds a screen with "the disc could not be read" came up????

Whats goin on with this, ive held a quick look through the forums but couldnt see a topic for this. If this need to be moved im sorry if its in the wrong place. Im using a PAL wii with a Wiikey V1 installed running the latest firmware on wii and chip.

I dont really want to go down the route of backup loaders as this is what i got the chip installed for!!

Thanks for any help coz this is doin me head right in!!!

Hooya

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
chadders said:
Guys i need some help??

Ive been out the wii scene for a little while and ive just updated to 4.0E using the ultimate 4.0 update guide yestarday.

Everything went ok and it was/is all working.

Im thinking of getting the motion plus add ons 2moz so i got myself a copy of grand slam tennis and burnt it using imgburn.

Ive put the disc in and like a fuckin bell end did the update off the disc. The system updated, the wii restarted and the game showed up in the disc channel. I click on the disc channel and after a few seconds a screen with "the disc could not be read" came up????

Whats goin on with this, ive held a quick look through the forums but couldnt see a topic for this. If this need to be moved im sorry if its in the wrong place. Im using a PAL wii with a Wiikey V1 installed running the latest firmware on wii and chip.

I dont really want to go down the route of backup loaders as this is what i got the chip installed for!!

Thanks for any help coz this is doin me head right in!!!

The update shouldn't have had any effect with a modchip. Sounds like an iffy burn.

mark.m.moran

Trophies
XP
Country
Hi all,
Downloaded this game last night and burnt to DVD, tried to load it up using NeoGamma R7 and it came up with a message "The game disk cannot be read please refer to the Wii hardware manual for further instructions" or something similar??

I did not Brickblock it even though I read up above it has an update on it?? I am using a softmodded Wii running 4.2E, modded as per guide here - http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=171901

Can anyone help?

Cheers,
M

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @mthrnite, Cheetah Girls, the sequel to Action 52's Cheetah Men.
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Pokemon Black I played that one a lot
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Honestly never messed with Pokémon on ds much
  • mthrnite @ mthrnite:
    I played pokemon once, was bored, never tried again
    Oh Dragon Quest IX
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Spent like 5 hours on switch one never touched it again
    Sentinel of the stary skies
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ds is 20 years old this year
    So MJ no longer wants to play with it?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He put it down when the 3ds came out
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, RIP Felix does great videos on the PS3 yellow-light-of-death.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    Eventhough the New 3DS XL is more powerful, I still feel like the DS Lite was a more polished system. It's a real shame that it never got an XL variant keeping the GBA slot. You'd have to go on AliExpress and buy an ML shell to give a DS phat the unofficial "DS Lite" treatment, and that's the best we'll ever get I'm afraid.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    The phat model had amazingly loud speakers tho.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Jayro, I don't see whats so special about the DS ML, its just a DS lite in a phat shell. At least the phat model had louder speakers, whereas the lite has a much better screen.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    They probably said "Hey, why not we combine the two together and make a 'new' DS to sell".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a DS Lite in a slightly bigger DS Lite shell.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not a Nintendo / iQue official product, it's a 3rd party custom.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nothing special about it other than it's more comfortable than the Lite
    for people with beefy hands.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I have yaoi anime hands, very lorge but slender.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I'm Slenderman.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I have hands.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    imagine not having hands, cringe
    +1
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: imagine not having hands, cringe +1