Misc Wifi monitoring help

ecko

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
the best i could think of is to run wireshark in promiscuous mode on a laptop and capture all the packets.
this only work ds->router and not ds->ds since that uses a specialized protocol (as far as i can remember)

elhobbs

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
to receive all packets the wifi card on your computer needs to support monitor mode. if it doesn't then you will not catch most of the ds packets - at least for ds to ds traffic where it is not connected to an AP

elhobbs

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
iirc direct ds to ds communications have very tight timing requirements. I have no idea what you mean by "I am using wifi" so it should work. The wifi card in your computer needs to be able to enter monitor mode and send/receive non-standard wifi packets - manually set wifi packets sequence numbers etc. not all wifi cards allow you to do this. you should take a look at the source code for desmume.

Keram

Newcomer
Trophies
In the wetter and more windy parts of Germany
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I doubt that "I'm using wifi" will be enough to man-in-the-middle attack the ds wifi communications :P
I guess the easiest way would be providing the Internet to the DS from your Laptop or a PC with wifi and then sniff it out with wireshark but this will only work if the wifi provided by the computer is running in infrastructure mode (the mode that routers and wifi access points run in), ad-hoc mode won't work.

Edit:
If you actually really want to take a look at the wlan from a bystander position(as in not being already a user inside the wlan or even the machine providing the wlan to the DS) you should take a look at real wlan sniffing, for Linux check kismet out (passive scanner that requires your wlan adapter to be able to run in raw monitoring mode) and for windows maybe netstumbler (active scanner).
I'm really no expert on this, google is your friend.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1