OP
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Quick question, has anyone here used the official extended battery (2200 mAh) for PSP? How was it?
Th model PSP-280? I've got it in my slim and it's definitely a noticeable improvement. With this battery combined with some downclocking, I was able to play some GB/C games on and off for 4-5 days while the power was out a bit back.

Spotted a good deal on a red 3003 with a faulty UMD drive. Is this likely to be fully hackable? Obviously I don't know what firmware it will be on as it's used - the 'start here' guide suggests that if it's on 6.61 or above I'll only be able to use the half-byte loader, is that still relevant? What kind of restrictions would that give me?
6.61 doesn't exist yet. I kept editing the guide to refer to future firmware versions for when Sony updated, but then Sony stopped updating the PSP about a year ago.

All PSP 3000s that we know of can be downgraded to 6.20 via a softmod exploit now.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PSP 2000 or GO?
Lesse... Go has:
  • Internal storage already (16gigs, but hey)
  • bluetooth so you could use a ps3 controller to play the games as well (didn't know about this, but glad it does)
  • memory stick micro slot... harder to find, and the maximum I could find anywhere is 16GB to put in...
  • ...so you're looking at a max of 32gigs of storage (16gigs internal + 16gig Memory Stick Micro)
  • Max perma-CFW is 6.20, IIRC
PSP 2000:
  • UMD slot, so all the physical copies will work no problem
  • Memory Stick Pro slot is slightly more available
  • Max I've seen is 32GB officially, and 64GB using a dual-microSD to MS Pro Duo adapter...
  • ... but many user reviews on those adapters report them being quite finicky and/or flimsy as heck, too.
  • Can be perma-CFW'd even on 6.60
  • Prices on MS Pro Duo cards in the larger capacities is absurd...
  • ... and most retailers have all but given up on carrying any to begin with.
I was really tempted on getting a PSP-3000 myself, until I got sticker shock from the prices for MS Pro Duo cards to use with it. A big 'nuff one now runs for as much (if not more) than the cost of the system itself. I've been quite grateful with finding my PSP Go, and the display is indeed nice and sharp. The ability to use a PS3 controller with it is a particularly nice bonus to me.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
Even better, looks like a mate of mine is going to give me his old 1000 for free. Just need a memory card - is it worth fucking about with microSD adaptors or is it not worth the hassle? Would there be any reason to get a MagicGate compatible pro duo?

redfalcon

GBATemp Member
Trophies
Website
code.google.com
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Even better, looks like a mate of mine is going to give me his old 1000 for free. Just need a memory card - is it worth fucking about with microSD adaptors or is it not worth the hassle? Would there be any reason to get a MagicGate compatible pro duo?

I just bought the adapter with the best rating from Amazon (5 euro or something), and it worked instantly with a random MicroSD I had lying around. I don't think it's going to be a hassle, unless you buy some super-cheap crap from ebay.

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Using a PS3 controller requires a PS3 IIRC?

You only need it once to link it to the PSP. So even if you don't have one you could just ask a friend to link it for you.

Even then, using a PS3 controller takes away the "Portable" appeal of the PSP

In fact, you don't even need a PS3 console at all. It can be done on your computer.

http://www.motioninjoy.com/wiki/en/help/pspgo-ds3-pair

It is true that you lose portability, and it also drains the battery fast (bluetooth), but it's still a nice feature if you're playing at home with a power outlet available.

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just wanted to mention that you don't need a PS3 in order to sync a Bluetooth controller to your PSPGo. MotionInJoy gives you the option to sync them if they're both plugged into the computer IIRC.

Page 5. :/ I'm not very good at being noticed. But you can use MotionInJoy to sync the two.

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Page 5. :/ I'm not very good at being noticed. But you can use MotionInJoy to sync the two.
I didn't see your previous post. I'm sure the message will get through, eventually. We don't need a PS3 to sync a PS3 controller to the PSP Go. Probably should be added to a faq on the PSP Go, if one exists. :P

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
A "pro duo" that's not magicgate-compatible is a fake pro duo as far as I know.

The adapters are hit-or-miss, depends on who you ask. I recommend a legit stick just because it's one less thing to go wrong (and the read speeds are generally the best, which can eliminate the famous PSP loading times in many games).

EDIT: Clarification, as I don't know about the earliest pro duo models.

TheRedfox

blep
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
A "pro duo" that's not magicgate-compatible is a fake pro duo as far as I know.

The adapters are hit-or-miss, depends on who you ask. I recommend a legit stick just because it's one less thing to go wrong (and the read speeds are generally the best, which can eliminate the famous PSP loading times in many games).

EDIT: Clarification, as I don't know about the earliest pro duo models.
I have a magicgate MS of 4GB(for pandora-related things) and a cheap microsd adapter off DX for $1,83 with a 32GB microsd card.
Games just load fast and it works good with the microsd adapter, never had any problem it's even faster than my MG memory stick!
You can just try for that spare money and most people have already a 16GB/32GB microsd somewhere, if it works good you can use it as a alternative!

bennyroger

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I have several PSP's and I ended up buying 3 more in the last month because the price was extremely low, bought 1 3000 and 2 Go's. Here where I live one of the largest electronic shops decided to dump all its PSP games for Nkr.29,- a few months ago , so I bought one of each game , ended up with 50 original games and when I wanted to pay they gave me an additional 70% because I took so many.....

My kids have stopped using the DS, and are now only playing with the PSP. Their favourite games are Locoroco 1, 2 and midnight carneval, Burnout legend, Little big Planet and the Patapon Games.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: This is how I have to do it w uremum... https://youtu.be/wV_BPDi8Ems?si=1UUzI1S7Rp6sujmq