Hardware Why you should get a PSP now.

P

pasc

Well I got mine back than just for FFVII and Crisis Core FFVII (was worth it).

Nowadays I play Birth by Sleep on it. I love the PSP for its emulating capabilities.

I WILL get a Vita when its hacked.

Weird how I always get DS Systems and Sony ones follow after that. Nice guide btw.

Reactions: 1 person

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, well... let's see. Had some problems with my car today :(, but in the process of the whirlwind of stuff... I end up with a white, (apparently) Japanese, PSP Go. Looking on System Information, it states this one is on 6.20 Pro-B9 [Model 05g]. It also has a BUNCH of Final Fantasy games preloaded already... and at least one that is in Japanese only far as I can tell.

Actually, let me go over the games it seems to have in order:
  • Final Fantasy IV Complete Collection (awwwwww yeaaaaaa!)
  • Monster Hunter 3 (don't care)
  • Final Fantasy Tactics
  • Phantom Brave
  • Tales of Eternia
  • Blazblue (not bad)
  • Star Ocean : First Departure
  • Final Fantasy (bunch of Japanese characters I can't read) Disc 1 & 2
  • DBZ Tenkaichi Tag Team (don't give a f*ck, lol)
  • Crisis Core : FF7 (ugh, slot-machine and card-based games are auto-fail to me)
  • God of War : Ghost of Sparta (nice!)
  • KH: Birth By Sleep (whoa)
Only 873MB's free... whaa :ninja:

Um, so... what should I do now? Definitely a newbie when it comes to PSP anything.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Press Select on the home screen to access the VSH menu, then go to the Recovery Menu. In there you can find all the various tweaks the CFW gives, one of them is the ability to swap the X and O buttons IIRC (to change default button behavior between US/JP), if needed. You can also change the region there (they may have faked it to JP for some japanese PSN games or something), to change it to US if needed (see if it's faked to japan or not).

As for what to do with it, the FAQ shows you how to add games and plugins and crap...
http://gbatemp.net/topic/268289-psp-hackingmodding-faq-start-here/

And the hacking sticky shows you how to update the CFW (you're only two versions behind, it's not a priority right now unless newer games stop working).
http://gbatemp.net/topic/293978-how-to-softmod-hack-your-psp/

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I can't believe I've been missing out for so long.
I only bought one because of BBS but I got addicted to GTA instead.
Also, I recommend the PSP Go as it's more portable, has 16 GB of on-board storage, and has a better screen than predecessors (no scan lines or ghosting).

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Also, I recommend the PSP Go as it's more portable, has 16 GB of on-board storage, and has a better screen than predecessors (no scan lines or ghosting).

I was going to get PSPGo but after trying Go and 3000 myself I find that Go to be really cramped. My hands are big so I went for 3000 instead.

DragorianSword

GBAtemp's #1 Gunter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I bought my PSP about a year ago for 75 euro and I love it.
I actually bought it for BBS, but now I've hacked it I've played almost all FF games on it, GTA, God of War and so much more!
Since I've played almost all interesting games on DS and 3DS and PSVita games are coming in very slowly, this is a really good timefiller!

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I was going to get PSPGo but after trying Go and 3000 myself I find that Go to be really cramped. My hands are big so I went for 3000 instead.
I don't know about the original series of PSP's, but at least I know the Go does support mapping a ps3 controller to it. It requires a ps3 system first to connect both to physically, but it's solved my dilemma there, and allowed me to use an otherwise neglected sixaxis controller as well. :)

Okay, so basically with the current cfw it has, I have to uninstall it somehow, in order to flash the 6.60 OFW... and THEN I flash the 6.60 PRO cfw, is that correct?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
I don't know about the original series of PSP's, but at least I know the Go does support mapping a ps3 controller to it. It requires a ps3 system first to connect both to physically, but it's solved my dilemma there, and allowed me to use an otherwise neglected sixaxis controller as well. :)
Yeah, Go has bluetooth, earlier models don't.

Okay, so basically with the current cfw it has, I have to uninstall it somehow, in order to flash the 6.60 OFW... and THEN I flash the 6.60 PRO cfw, is that correct?
Download the PRO-C installer (and perm patch) for the version you have, run the perm patch and choose to uninstall it, then run the PRO-B9 installer and choose to uninstall to get back to OFW (or run the PRO-C installer after that to install the latest CFW).

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, I was able to download the OFW 6.60 for the Go and the Pro-C installer from filetrip here. using its search, however, I cannot find the Pro-B9 at all. Seems my google-fu is failing on me. :(

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just wanted to mention that you don't need a PS3 in order to sync a Bluetooth controller to your PSPGo. MotionInJoy gives you the option to sync them if they're both plugged into the computer IIRC.

Janthran

Solarian
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Science has proven that Crisis Core is, in fact, a bad game.

Kingdom Hearts is just kinda crap for anyone who doesn't like them. Although I find little reason to actually like them.
"Science" hasn't proven anything. Scientists prove things.
Science is knowledge, not some kind of god.

Reactions: 1 person

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Okay, I was able to download the OFW 6.60 for the Go and the Pro-C installer from filetrip here. using its search, however, I cannot find the Pro-B9 at all. Seems my google-fu is failing on me. :(
It's all one entry (PRO CFW) with various versions, there's a menu in filetrip on the right-hand side to select a version other than "latest" for whatever download you're looking at.

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I think Sony owes a lot to Kingdom Hearts fanboys. Every game in the series is essential, and one of them just happens to be for the PSP. Seems I'm not the only one who bought a PSP because of it.
Crisis Core was another game that made my decision, but a lot of you here are bashing the game like crazy. If Type-0 comes out in the US, it will make up for it I guess.
On a side note, I don't think I'll finish BBS before DDD comes out. Freaking Grand Theft Auto is too addicting.

So yeah guys, get on craigslist or ebay and buy yourself a PSP.

Terenigma

Terenigma everywhere
Trophies
XP
Country
I find the number of people who bought a PSP for Crisis Core and/or Birth By Sleep, somewhat unnerving.

I agree (mostly about crisis core) so you may be pleased to know that i bought my psp for the sole purpose of playing dissidia 012.

Everyone should get a psp for the old school emulation (GBA/SNES mostly) and the fact it can play videos and music and has dissidia 012 which is (in my opinion) the best handheld game released in the past 2 years.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Her boob is the cause of all this current shit :angry: