Gaming Why .rar and zip releases

Nookadum

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
Doesn't bother me much, but I guess it's because I'm old enough to remember getting 128k pieces from Usenet over a 14.4, and only losing a few minutes when something went wrong in transit, rather than hours or days if the binary had been unsegmented.

I don't roam around Usenet like I used to, but as I understand it, most NDS releases happen on Usenet, spread to IRC, and spread to the web. The beginning of this chain is, reasonably, segmented files. Some websites extract and repack them (often with ad URLs for their site as some sort of claim of ownership), some preserve the scene release format. If you prefer the former, frequent sites that adhere to that way of doing things.

If you prefer the former, but get your stuff from Usenet, keep crying those tears, because it's not changing anytime soon, due to the nature of the beast. If you can't understand and accept that, maybe you've got the wrong hobby.

Correct.

QUOTEPardon me if I'm ignorant on today's Usenet, but is this accessible to the majority of ISP newsservers? As I alluded to, I've been out of the Usenet loop for close to 3 years now, but even that recently, my local cable provider's service wouldn't tolerate anything over 5MB.

Correct.

iNFiNiTY

Trophies
XP
NDS doesnt have any own release standards. Most groups release the games in .zip files. But its harder for them to get pred on the scene. .rxx is a bette standard because its more accepted in the scene and its easier to "race" the files even if they are small.

This is the reason why, its only for scene purposes. Multiple people can trade rar releases at the same time while huge zips cannot. Also it makes things slightly easier for archivers as rars wont have lots of pointless files added into them like zips, just rar/sfv and nfo and not other added messages or modification to the files. Most of the main groups have switched to it now, its not outdated like zips designed for BBS distribution.

BoneMonkey

The cheese stash is a lie.
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
NDS doesnt have any own release standards. Most groups release the games in .zip files. But its harder for them to get pred on the scene. .rxx is a bette standard because its more accepted in the scene and its easier to "race" the files even if they are small.

This is the reason why, its only for scene purposes. Multiple people can trade rar releases at the same time while huge zips cannot. Also it makes things slightly easier for archivers as rars wont have lots of pointless files added into them like zips, just rar/sfv and nfo and not other added messages or modification to the files. Most of the main groups have switched to it now, its not outdated like zips designed for BBS distribution.

ding ding ding !

winner winner chicken dinner !

Nookadum

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Well, he is part of the IRC staff, so of course he knows about the scene.
blink.gif

oushi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm a pirate. I want games for free. Everything should come just the way that I want it, so I can sit on my fat ass and not have to do anything for myself.

Bitch more please.

iNFiNiTY

Trophies
XP
If you are getting stuff thats being packed multiple times its the distributer, since it should only be nds in rar thats it.

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Maybe you're new to Usenet. Maybe you don't understand how binary retention works, or how many ISP's newsservers dump binaries over a fairly low size. Or maybe you do know that, and just want them to cater to you.

Whatever the circumstances, you're wrong, and you're staying wrong, and the hole you dig yourself only gets deeper.

WTF has usenet got to do with NDS SCENE releases? You are the one in the wrong here.

14.3mib rarred release should be taken up as standard for NDS games IMO (even if I do like single zip files - makes it seem more like the n64 days... ;> ).

Grimalkin

Waaaaaaaah!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Maybe you're new to Usenet. Maybe you don't understand how binary retention works, or how many ISP's newsservers dump binaries over a fairly low size. Or maybe you do know that, and just want them to cater to you.

Whatever the circumstances, you're wrong, and you're staying wrong, and the hole you dig yourself only gets deeper.

WTF has usenet got to do with NDS SCENE releases? You are the one in the wrong here.

14.3mib rarred release should be taken up as standard for NDS games IMO (even if I do like single zip files - makes it seem more like the n64 days... ;> ).

SCENE releases usually start from Peer-to-Peer -> Newsgroups/Usenets -> IRC -> FXP -> Topsites etc.

It's more likely to see a release begin it's distribution starting at Usenets.

Bob Loblaw

Read the Bob Loblaw Law Blog!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Blows my mind this thread is 3 pages long. The question was answered like the second post.

It's essential to have multiple smaller file rar's in case of corruption during download. It will save you the trouble of having to download the entire file again (be it a 4gb Wii Iso or 7gb 360 iso or whatever size DS roms are, like 50mb or something). Instead you just re-download the rar(s) that failed the crc check.

There's really no argument against this because who really wants to download a 7gb file twice? Nobody!

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
SCENE releases usually start from Peer-to-Peer -> Newsgroups/Usenets -> IRC -> FXP -> Topsites etc.

It's more likely to see a release begin it's distribution starting at Usenets.

are you on drugs? scene releases start on p2p then goto usenet before travelling to topsites? you do realise they are called topsites for a reason (they get releases first). Yes I know the odd release gets stolen from p2p but 99.9% of releases start on ftp-sites and filter their way through to usenet/p2p/web later on.

no real group releases to p2p first (or ever), the very idea is laughable.

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
Blows my mind this thread is 3 pages long. The question was answered like the second post.

It's essential to have multiple smaller file rar's in case of corruption during download. It will save you the trouble of having to download the entire file again (be it a 4gb Wii Iso or 7gb 360 iso or whatever size DS roms are, like 50mb or something). Instead you just re-download the rar(s) that failed the crc check.

There's really no argument against this because who really wants to download a 7gb file twice? Nobody!

Most of the DS Roms I've downloaded recently are one big rar, with a few small rar files inside (About 4MB each).

This makes no sense at all, because even if one of the .rxx files was corrupted, redownloading the whole file wouldn't have any effect anyway.

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Most of the DS Roms I've downloaded recently are one big rar, with a few small rar files inside (About 4MB each).

This makes no sense at all, because even if one of the .rxx files was corrupted, redownloading the whole file wouldn't have any effect anyway.
thats because you've been downloading some repackaged stuff, not the original releases.

Law

Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country

thats because you've been downloading some repackaged stuff, not the original releases.

Yeah, I know, but still, the games are usually around 64MB, and splitting them into 4MB files is just silly :/.

I think I remember downloading an 8MB game that was split into parts at one point in time...

sillypatterson

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Yeah, I know, but still, the games are usually around 64MB, and splitting them into 4MB files is just silly :/.

I think I remember downloading an 8MB game that was split into parts at one point in time...

Did we miss the rest of the thread?
grog.gif

Law

Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country

Did we miss the rest of the thread?
grog.gif

Yeah, tl;dr, couldn't be bothered going through all the pages on this slow internet.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Huge crts on both eye lids