Hacking Why is team Xecuter not sued by Nintendo?

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Savior of the broken
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
What they do is perfectly legal in China, so probably nothing Nintendo can do about it.
Technically it's also legal in the US if they aren't using any of Nintendo's code. This would be be handled the same way as the Game Genie case was handled when Nintendo tried suing them. So long as it's not using anything from Nintendo, they aren't really breaking the law and Nintendo would have a hell of time proving that they are.

Kyuuketsuki

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Wouldn't the OP's question fall into the same category, as to why so many companies have gone un-sued by Nintendo for over three decades.

But with Nintendo, you're more than likely going to find failed attempts at suing a company, or Nintendo themselves getting sued. Team Xecuter is safe, because their product isn't doing anything that can't already be done for free with a paperclip (except for that cool interface). B-)

contezero

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
https://ap.nintendo.com/news/press.jsp

Nintendo has, and will go after modchip/flashcart merchants and manufacturers.
They can't get everybody though. Especially when the targets are based in countries with lax copyright enforcement.
TX has the advantage of being at the top of the supplier food chain, way out of the reach of the big N.

It seems that Nintendo decided to go against rom sharing sites. Maybe a move against the Switch backup loaders?
Actually is not possible to connect to romsheperd because the DNSs are blocked from Italy after a request from Nintendo.

The targeted roms were almost all for 3DS, WiiU and Switch and only one for Wii (a Korean release of New Super Mario Bros).

For Italian speaking people this is the official document from the Italian Authority for Communications:
https://www.agcom.it/documents/1017...63680-44e9-4bc6-8b8a-a1d9ac8801e9?version=1.0

It should be noted that in the document is mentioned that the copyrighted material was accessible from the website but actually there were only link to third party file sharing services (no actual roms hosted on the site) and those link were unavailable without registering to the site.

The request from Nintendo was delivered to the Authority the 9th of may 2018.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Team Xecuter is safe, because their product isn't doing anything that can't already be done for free with a paperclip (except for that cool interface). B-)

It's more likely it's because they assume Team Xecuter is in china and the law is different there.

It seems that Nintendo decided to go against rom sharing sites.

Nintendo have a history of going after rom sites, for the last 20 years.

Last edited by smf,

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
How comes they did indeed sue R4, but not Xecuter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I can only guess that R4 was located somewhere where they had a bigger leval ground to sue them plus Nintendo waited a long time for that so that they could ask more money and more proof. Guessing they're doing thé same now

TicinoLX

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I can only guess that R4 was located somewhere where they had a bigger leval ground to sue them plus Nintendo waited a long time for that so that they could ask more money and more proof. Guessing they're doing thé same now

Oh I see. I guess in china they are kinda safe. I read somewhere that in China they see copyright infringement as some kind of “homage”

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Oh I see. I guess in china they are kinda safe. I read somewhere that in China they see copyright infringement as some kind of “homage”

Could be or they're just starting to build a case against them. The longer they let it go on the more evidence they will have plus probably get a larger sum of money from them if they do win that case

Reactions: TicinoLX

TicinoLX

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Could be or they're just starting to build a case against them. The longer they let it go on the more evidence they will have plus probably get a larger sum of money from them if they do win that case

I guess the best they could reach is an import stop / sell out into EU.
But here I see it a bit complicated regarding to the R4. Since R4 < 25€ (no import VAT) while this is 40€

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I guess the best they could reach is an import stop / sell out into EU.
But here I see it a bit complicated regarding to the R4. Since R4 < 25€ (no import VAT) while this is 40€

I don't know what they can do entirely but I am pretty sure that they're cooking up something. They have a whole team of lawyers but pretty sure they won't leave it at this since Nintendo has been really aggressive these last years when it comes to stuff like that

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Ah yes Jeff Butts a reporter you can trust