Hacking Who here is still on 10.3? Why?

Kafke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah i was suggested that earlier too :/ i'm surprised myself, thought things would go kinda smoothly haha.
But yeah i plan to keep on trying and use the system restore as a last resort.
I worked really hard on my mii plaza and what not D:

Gotta keep trying though, since potential 10.4 update in a couple days...

Yea. I'm lucky, since when I did a system transfer, I used a cloned emunand, so I still have all my stuff on O3DS. So if it comes to it and I can't somehow restore my stuff, I still have it accessible and I'll just have to 'start fresh' with my N3DS as if it were a new console, haha. And yea, that 10.4 coming out soon worries me. I'd rather have a downgraded system than keep my stuff on an unhackable firmware. I've been on 9.3+ for too damn long.

Jaitsu

Yet Another GBATemp Furry
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I always fail downgrading :/
Always "failed get CIA file info"

Did you transfer the files using a Mac computer? If so, that's your problem. Macs create an invisible "dot file" for every file, and it causes issues in cases like this. So, say you have 123.cia, the Mac makes an invisible "._123.cia" file, and sysUpdater sees those files and tries to use them.

You can fix this by doing as this thread states: https://gbatemp.net/threads/os-x-fix-for-failed-to-get-cia-info.409391/ (basically, there's a "dot_clean" terminal command that will get rid of those files for you)

If you didn't transfer the files with a Mac, I'm not sure what the issue is for you.

Reactions: Games&Stuff

Games&Stuff

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you transfer the files using a Mac computer? If so, that's your problem. Macs create an invisible "dot file" for every file, and it causes issues in cases like this. So, say you have 123.cia, the Mac makes an invisible "._123.cia" file, and sysUpdater sees those files and tries to use them.

You can fix this by doing as this thread states: https://gbatemp.net/threads/os-x-fix-for-failed-to-get-cia-info.409391/ (basically, there's a "dot_clean" terminal command that will get rid of those files for you)

If you didn't transfer the files with a Mac, I'm not sure what the issue is for you.
Yeah, just did it an hour ago.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
I'm on 10.3... in EmuNAND!

You can always play online with emuNAND.
So long as you aren't N3ds

There's any extra step involved.. But I'm online on 9.5... The reason I downgraded is because of the option to always have an entry point. I mean yeah.. Being locked at 9.5 for the time being can be a drag.. But it shouldn't be a deal breaker..

GinOkami428

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm still on 10.1.0-27U, as I only have an N3DS and would rather not brick it. If I knew I wouldn't hard brick the system, I'd downgrade in a heartbeat.

plushifoxed

I wanna talk more about kawaii stuff!
Trophies
Website
roxie.nyc
XP
Country
United States
Well, my US n3DS is still on 10.3. I was worried about the instability of SysUpdater, so I was holding out for a hero KTM to be released. But... well, we all know how that turned out. :/
I did, however, downgrade my old 3DS; I figured that since I wasn't using it and it was already banged up and broken enough that it was basically destined for the trash can, it'd be absolutely no loss if it got bricked by SysUpdater. In the end, though, it worked fine, and I've got an emuNAND set up on it and everything. Haven't managed to work out how GBA VC installation works, but I'll get there eventually.

Elektrikery

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have to remove my tubehax DNS. I tried changing back to all Zeros but it didn't work so I just deleted my saved connection setting and a established a new one. But I'm not sure if it's still safe to downgrade?

PandaMayFire

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see no reason not to downgrade at this point, but who won't be? Is it because you're getting softbricks every time? Is it because you're waiting for a different method? Everybody who is still on 10.3, please reply! (And if you want to know why I'm still on 10.3, check my recent activity lol)
I ran into a lot of people who refused to downgrade, because they said they didn't have a reason to downgrade. But once you've downgraded, there are literally no drawbacks. These people were also only interested in homebrew at all because of PKHex.
-Free roms & rom hacks
-Cheat plugins, Gateway cheats, and save editors
-Never lose the ability to use homebrew such as emulators
-Custom themes

So the real question is, why wouldn't you downgrade? But whatever, if people want to be stubborn and then complain a month or two from now about losing the ability to use PKHex and emulators :rolleyes:

Hayleia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Well, they'll see the real reason to downgrade when it's too late unfortunately. Nintendo will make a new firmware blocking homebrew, then people who are still on 10.3 will be annoying like "but I don't want to lose homebrew, smea and others, please update payloads and make new hax and create a new open console and give it away for free" even though we've been talling them all this time that if they just downgraded, they would get BOTH homebrew access and all normal features forever...

vegeta18

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
i cant downgrade mine, using browserhax and sysupdater, but everytime i open up sysupdater 0.4.2 by profi200 i hit y to downgrade and the app basically freezes, i cant press anything.

Ruby Gloom

GBAtemp Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
i cant downgrade mine, using browserhax and sysupdater, but everytime i open up sysupdater 0.4.2 by profi200 i hit y to downgrade and the app basically freezes, i cant press anything.
Keep trying. That's normal. Open any homebrew app then closer, and open SysUpdater.

Reactions: vegeta18

Glyptofane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I decided to go for it and it worked after two tries on a O3DSXL. I was very scared, but pulled the trigger, now i gotta figure out what's what before Monday afternoon.

protomouse

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Because I have a New 3DS, EmuNAND only goes up to 9.5, and I have nothing but eShop games. All I'm really after is CIA RetroArch, and I don't think it's worth all the workarounds I have to apply (firmware spoofs, cryptofixes) in order to get my games working once I downgrade. I have Ironhax and use Tubehax DNS, but have decided to simply disable Wi-Fi indefinitely. I'm waiting for Gateway to come out with their 10.3 thing.

Nyannurs

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
i downgraded my n3ds, big mistake. lost all of my acnl data and having cfw on n3ds is way too complicated and no way of keeping it up to date. it just isnt worth it when i already have an o3ds with kernel access (which mind you, i can keep up to date)

Mr. Elementle

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was hesitant to downgrade my n3dsxl since emunand took like 3 minutes to coldboot into on my old 3ds, i finally decided to do it and spent 6 hours trying to get sysupdater to work, i kept getting that "could not find cia info" thingie so i gave up, the only games i even wanted to install are legit cias anyway (though ive been 5 days trying to get the experimental fbi to work, if anyone could help me there id appreciate it)

Last edited by Mr. Elementle,

Juiss

Trophies
XP
Country
France
People who use online play as a point, you do realise you'll still be able to on emuNAND, right? Even on N3DS, you don't need the latest FW for online play, just an up to date game.

Reactions: jscjml and cvskid

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: man that was some good Chinese takeout