Which system won this generation to you?

Which system won this generation?

• Nintendo's Wii

Votes: 49 45.8%
  • Sony's Playstation 3

Votes: 28 26.2%
  • Microsofts Xbox 360

Votes: 30 28.0%

• Total voters

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
We could continue chit-chatting about how unfair it is that some people just don't like Xenoblade Chronicles for whatever reason, or we could head straight back to the subject proper, which is, which console in our opinion was the best last generation.

I've been thinking about it a little bit more, and as I said earlier in this thread, I find all three to have something unique about them, but I'm leaning towards 360/PS3... I've had loads of fun playing on the Wii, but outside of a few titles, it fell short of my expectations. The 360 was loads of fun as well, each time I'm over at my girlfriend's, I thoroughly enjoy using it, however I do find the PS3 to be the more well-rounded system, and I don't particularily condone paying for online features... I'm not casting my vote just yet, I just can't decide. It would probably be easier for me if I owned the 360/PS3 - my contact with them has been quite limited, which is both a good thing and a bad thing, as it nullifies any favourism I may have, but also lowers the accual experience I have with the system on a day-to-day basis, not on a particular instance basis.

Disorarara

Trophies
XP
Country
The Wii would probably win this poll regardless of where it's being held. Between the three, the Wii has sold the most units. This shows us that gameplay remains the most important success factor for games, while hardware power, though still important, gets a secondary role. If you have trouble naming quality titles for the Wii, you either don't know that many games or we have a very different definition of quality titles :P

The Wii sold so many units because it was the hottest new thing around when it came out, everybody and their grandmother bought one. Wasn't there some article somewhere that said something to the effect that millions of Wii consoles are sitting in closets collecting dust?

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
"Win" is an absolutely vague word. In terms of sales, the Wii obviously won.

I would go for 360 actually. Despite having to pay for live, the overall experience was the best of all.
I really hope Wii U can catch up very much against the next gen competitor hardware. So far it looks very promising.

suppow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i guess it all boils down on average to when one started gaming (age, and console/era)

i own all 3, PSX, PS2, and PS360, but i just feel bad for people who's first console was one of those.

Fazermint

I like dem vidya gaimes
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I was actually hesitant to buy a Wii console initially, as I felt the Wii controller and the motion controls were gimmicky. My friends had one, and we always used GC controllers to play SSBB (which isn't as good as SSBM imo).
In hindsight I'm really glad I got a Wii anyway. The gimmicky controls I was afraid of came to define the system and, with proper game design, worked really well. Perhaps the game I've enjoyed the most on the Wii is LoZ Skyward Sword, which, on top of being an awesome game, utilized the Wii's control scheme to its fullest potential.

DS1

Tired
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah same. There's absolutely no reason to buy any of this generation's consoles as the next generation will be backwards compatible with them. I always skip a generation of consoles B-)

Well, to me it's more like every system has had a pitiful library up until last year. Even now that there are a few games I want to play, each console is still too expensive (well, the Wii is reasonable, and if that 50 price cut happens, the 360 will be, too). Once a system is cheap enough I'll get one, but I'd never buy a new console assuming it'd have backwards compatibility. I think these days you can count on not having backwards compatibility, and then paying double or triple what you would for a used copy by having to download a digital copy (and then having to risk losing access to those games when you lose cable to a storm, as was the case for me the past week).

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, to me it's more like every system has had a pitiful library up until last year. Even now that there are a few games I want to play, each console is still too expensive (well, the Wii is reasonable, and if that 50 price cut happens, the 360 will be, too). Once a system is cheap enough I'll get one, but I'd never buy a new console assuming it'd have backwards compatibility. I think these days you can count on not having backwards compatibility, and then paying double or triple what you would for a used copy by having to download a digital copy (and then having to risk losing access to those games when you lose cable to a storm, as was the case for me the past week).

$250, $200, and $150 is not cheap enough? Really?

I mean the consoles were overpriced as fuck on release, Wii being the exception, but nowadays they're quite affordable. And better tech equals a higher price, it's just the cost of progress.

And for used copies, why would I buy a new console for last gen games? The Xbox 360 has rather decent original Xbox compatibility, minus a few exceptions (notably Timesplitters FP) but overall it's solid. Original PS3s have complete PS2 compatibility, newer ones don't but a PS2 is like $50 nowadays, if that. The Wii has full compatibility.

Even then, most defined "last gen games" that are distributed digitally are maybe like $10-$15. Not to mention it offers up rarities. It's the only way to get an English version of Sin and Punishment, for example, and Sony released some hard to find PS2 games on their shop (like God Hand and a few choice others).

Daemauroa

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
well, if it's sales that matters people have to say Nintendo's consoles did pretty well. I think mostly because they were more family orientated than others. however, this is only an opinion, but I do think the PS3 was a quality console. however, I do think you mustn't rate a console for itself, but for its games. I did make my choice by looking at the games which I would like to play, and that's why I picked the ps3. I must say there are some titles on the Xbox360 that I would have wanted to play too, but at that time the ps3 seemed more suited for me.

btw, is de nitendo ds a 6th gen console? because these things did pretty damn well in my oppinion.

DS1

Tired
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
$250, $200, and $150 is not cheap enough? Really?

I mean the consoles were overpriced as fuck on release, Wii being the exception, but nowadays they're quite affordable. And better tech equals a higher price, it's just the cost of progress.

And for used copies, why would I buy a new console for last gen games? blahblahblahblahblah

I have no idea, that's why I was questioning the person who replied to my post, and not you.

And no kidding, I know that the consoles are VERY reasonable for the technology, but if you're just using them to play games (no BluRay, netflix, etc.), it makes it a lot harder to justify the the cost.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have no idea, that's why I was questioning the person who replied to my post, and not you.

And no kidding, I know that the consoles are VERY reasonable for the technology, but if you're just using them to play games (no BluRay, netflix, etc.), it makes it a lot harder to justify the the cost.

I brainfarted, I meant "Why buy a new console for last gen games?" My bad.

I don't see that as a waste honestly. If you get mileage out of your console, it's worth the price. I mean it feels like just as much of a waste to use a console only for games nowadays.

Reactions: emigre

Treeko

Trophies
XP
Country
Xbox 360,I think it had the best balance between being a totally gaming oriented console and a Entertainment console,I think Microsoft also won because of Xbox live,sony on the other hand provided the best looking games ever on a console and yes it did have the advantage of Bluray but that's not all that makes a console good does it?and this is coming from a owner of both systems.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Xbox 360,I think it had the best balance between being a totally gaming oriented console and a Entertainment console,I think Microsoft also won because of Xbox live,sony on the other hand provided the best looking games ever on a console and yes it did have the advantage of Bluray but that's not all that makes a console good does it?and this is coming from a owner of both systems.

As a longtime Xbox Live user, the service is rather shit compared to PS+. It's overpriced and the "features" it offers are basically necessities. It doesn't feel like a "Gold subscription", it feels like a mandatory subscription to use the console effectively.

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I mean it feels like just as much of a waste to use a console only for games nowadays.

I would completely agree with you there. My PS3 works quite nicely as a media centre. I get to use BBC iPlayer and 4OD for free(And ITV player but ITV is shit). Than use the subscription services in Netflix and Lovefilm. Use DVDs and Blu Rays on it. And finally watch videos over USB. When I bought my Triple, I actually never thought about the multimedia elements of it and its turned out to be a great bonus.

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Treeko

Trophies
XP
Country
As a longtime Xbox Live user, the service is rather shit compared to PS+. It's overpriced and the "features" it offers are basically necessities. It doesn't feel like a "Gold subscription", it feels like a mandatory subscription to use the console effectively.
Overpriced?sorry to say this did you totally miss the 1$ a month offers they have going each week,compared to PS+ where if you are a member only then will you be able to access content you have downloaded through your PS+ account,face it Microsoft had the best online experience to offer this time,let the new comer a chance people,and as your profile shows you are in USA,they have even better offers there.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Overpriced?sorry to say this did you totally miss the 1$ a month offers they have going each week,compared to PS+ where if you are a member only then will you be able to access content you have downloaded through your PS+ account,face it Microsoft had the best online experience to offer this time,let the new comer a chance people.

The $1/month offers are quite rare. They increased the price of gold to like $60+ a year. Even with the deals, you're paying for a year's worth of services provided for free on the Playstation Network or now Nintendo Network. I mean if you pay for Playstation Plus, you get free games every month, a persistent Playstation Store discount, better deals, better cloud storage, and it carries over to your Vita. For Xbox Live, you get weekly discounts on only a few items (most of the discounts are mediocre anyway), some cloud storage, and access to features you should have for free (able to use Netflix, Facebook, play online, etc).

Xbox Live is a complete and utter rip off.

Treeko

Trophies
XP
Country
The $1/month offers are quite rare. They increased the price of gold to like $60+ a year. Even with the deals, you're paying for a year's worth of services provided for free on the Playstation Network or now Nintendo Network. I mean if you pay for Playstation Plus, you get free games every month, a persistent Playstation Store discount, better deals, better cloud storage, and it carries over to your Vita. For Xbox Live, you get weekly discounts on only a few items (most of the discounts are mediocre anyway), some cloud storage, and access to features you should have for free (able to use Netflix, Facebook, play online, etc).

Xbox Live is a complete and utter rip off.
I understand the part of facebook,Netflix,other apps(one's which should be) to have free access to them,but as you said in your previous comment that it is overpriced,and to tell you the truth it's not overpriced,as for online play to be free I am okay to pay for that as it provides better online play options than PSN,and as for PS+ this is a true ripoff,why should I have to be a member constantly to have access to the content I have already downloaded as a member?now we are comparing to totally different online experiences which will lead to a pointless argument,I don't mean to start a flame war between console's here,I prefer the xbox 360 over my ps3 than that means its about personal preference,do you certainly think that everyone will take part in your opinion?same goes for me I know many will not part in my opinion,but there some which will,same goes for you,so its just about personal preference,I hope this doesn't effect my relationship with you as fellow GBAtemp user :)

D

Deleted_171835

Most of my Wii usage actually comes from using it as a Netflix device and for watching shows that I put on a USB through WiiMC. Might not be in HD but as long as the video has a high bit-rate, I don't really notice.

DS1

Tired
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I brainfarted, I meant "Why buy a new console for last gen games?" My bad.

I don't see that as a waste honestly. If you get mileage out of your console, it's worth the price. I mean it feels like just as much of a waste to use a console only for games nowadays.

Yeah that's my point, I would only use it for games, so it seems like a waste.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ, @Psionic Roshambo sorry but im not that used to listening to non game music +1