Hacking Which R4i Gold firmware should I use?

Nerozone

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, if you do not have a system like a DS Lite to use, it is never safe to update your 3DS to a firmware that will block your card. The card can only be updated if you can run it without any blocks by Nintendo. Perhaps you can borrow a friend's DS Lite to update your card when a patch is released?

Well, damn. I don't know anyone with a DS Lite really. I do have my old DS, though (the first version)... Will it work if I do the trick there?

dronesplitter

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, though I've never tried since I never owned that model. It should but I'll let someone else say for sure. It's still a DS system after all just bulkier :)

Nerozone

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, though I've never tried since I never owned that model. It should but I'll let someone else say for sure. It's still a DS system after all just bulkier :)

Yeah, thanks for your help.

Last question, though: Would I need to do the same if I had the .cn version of R4i Gold (the one that supports Wood)?

EDIT: With "the same", I meant if I will need another DS.

dronesplitter

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, thanks for your help.

Last question, though: Would I need to do the same if I had the .cn version of R4i Gold (the one that supports Wood)?

EDIT: With "the same", I meant if I will need another DS.
Yes. The only card that I've heard about where you wouldn't need a DS/DS Lite in this situation is the Supercard DSTwo. It has the ability, though it is stressed by everyone that you don't rely on it, to update anyway, blocked or not. I don't know any details about it other than that.

PsyBlade

Snake Charmer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Wait, does that mean that I won't be able to do the trick if I only have my 3DS? When they release the update file for 4.5.0, of course. The tutorials didn't mention anything like that...
yes thats exactly what it means

to update the card you have to run a special "game" from it first
to run a game from it you need to have be able to use the cart first
to use the card you have to update it first

circular dependency in time, not good

edit:
another thing that was not mentioned explicitly:
you generally can use a 3DS to update flashcards
but only as long as that cart works on that 3DS

Nerozone

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh? Why shouldn't I trust DSTwo, then? If it's compatible and all that. But I just read that DSTwo needs a DS Lite too, just like R4i Gold. The newest version for 4.5.0, at least.

But it's ok if I use the first DS version ever instead of a DS Lite, right? Or do I REALLY need a DS Lite?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
The DStwo's secondary update function CAN run if the cart's blocked, but it shouldn't be relied on (as in, always update the cart first, then the 3DS second to be safe).

Yes, the first DS model will work just as well as a Lite. People just jizz their pants over the lite and forget the first one exists. :P

Nerozone

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The DStwo's secondary update function CAN run if the cart's blocked, but it shouldn't be relied on (as in, always update the cart first, then the 3DS second to be safe).

Yes, the first DS model will work just as well as a Lite. People just jizz their pants over the lite and forget the first one exists. :P

Ahahahah, that's true.

Well, then I might as well search for a way to fix my DS (the pins from the place where you put the cartridges are a bit bent). I just hope there's a way to fix that.

EDIT: Aaaaaaaaaaaand, I just fixed it! Guess that's one less thing to worry about. I'm sorry for making so many questions, but is R4i Gold.cn (the one that supports Wood) compatible with 4.5.0 because it released a new cartridge version, or a new firmware version? I'm thinking about ordering the .cn version, but I'm afraid they will send me an older cartridge version that's not compatible with 4.5.0 (sorry if this sounded confusing, I can't explain myself better).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lmao that sold out fast +1