Hardware Which Graphic Experience is Better 3DS or PS Vita?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
To me, I prefer the 3DS style. I like the cartooney-ish graphics for my handhelds while I'm on the go. I like my pretty looking games to be on a big screen, thus: 3DS > Vita.

Reactions: 3 people

chyyran

somehow a weeb now.
Developer
Trophies
Website
ronnchyran.com
XP
Country
Canada
The Vita has the superior graphics experience. It's just the truth. For gameplay, that's a matter of opinion.

This.

The Vita has superior hardware and graphics capabilities, but they're aren't that many games out for it worth playing. The 3DS however, has many games already out.

Think of it this way:
DS = Near or Less than N64 quality graphics
3DS = Near or Greater than PSP quality graphics
PSV = Near or Greater than PS3 quality graphics

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
I'm going a bit off topic now but discuss witch one is better (3DS x Vita) is the same of discuss if a car is better than a motorcycle.

Now back to topic, in terms of visual experience, vita is superior I think, but I think that the gap between DS and PSP graphics is bigger. (I'm based only in my personal impressions, I do not know if technically it is true).

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
The Vita has the superior graphics experience. It's just the truth. For gameplay, that's a matter of opinion.

This.

The Vita has superior hardware and graphics capabilities, but they're aren't that many games out for it worth playing. The 3DS however, has many games already out.

Think of it this way:
DS = Near or Less than N64 quality graphics
3DS = Near or Greater than PSP quality graphics
PSV = Near or Greater than PS3 quality graphics

What, PSP quality?
Greater than PS3 quality?

Played or seen Revelations or Uncharted?
Both the best looking games for their respective systems, both pretty near to being 360 quality.
Difference is probably as big as with the PS2/GC and the original Xbox. Not counting with stuff like the Vita's screen resolution or the 3DS's 4xAA or 3D.

Seaking

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i dont care about graphics.

its the games that matter.

and for now, i only have a 3DS, so i cant say what one i would honestly like the most. have not tried a PSV yet.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
If you can stand some jaggies that are present in most games and apparently only Capcom found a way to properly deal with them, really, really wish to experience the depth effect and don't mind the fact that you will lose it the moment you move the console a nanometer to either side of the sweet spot, get the 3DS.

If you simply want high definition graphics on a good-looking screen and don't particularily care for 3D, get the Vita.

Comparing the two as far as "Graphics Experience" is concerned is like comparing a Mini Cooper and a Ferrari in a race track environment - one has some curves that are definatelly pleasant for the eyes (3D effect) and some may prefere it, one has flat surfaces (no 3D, d'uh). The moment you look under the hood though, no matter how you look at it, the Cooper can only hope to smell Ferrari's exhaust fumes when the green light lights up and the race starts. To elaborate...

The capacity of the Vita to create advanced 3D environment is *miles* ahead of that of the 3DS in all respects - a quad GPU and a quad CPU obliterate all oposition, as of today I can't think of a portable device that would have a beefier setup and when it comes to graphics, stronger is better. There is no questioning that without looking slightly silly.

I'll admit that Revelations looks quite neat on the 3DS, but so did other games based on this engine that were released on underpowered consoles like the Wii - it's simply created in a way that covers up imperfections and is incredibly versatile. The Vita simply has more resources, more computing power and a higher-resolution screen - of course the games will look "better" on it as achieving good results will require inheritently less optimizing.

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
the fact that you will lose it the moment you move the console a nanometer to either side of the sweet spot, get the 3DS.

You have a point and there's definitely truth to it, but I think this is an extreme exaggeration. I got very used to holding the console correctly in about 2 weeks, and it feels completely natural for me now to hold it in a way that the 3D looks smooth. And really, unless you're playing Zelda 3D, it takes quite a bit more than a nanometer to ruin the effect (I know you're using a hyperbole, but I'm just saying).

No argument with the rest of your post, though.

Reactions: 1 person

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
the fact that you will lose it the moment you move the console a nanometer to either side of the sweet spot, get the 3DS.

You have a point and there's definitely truth to it, but I think this is an extreme exaggeration. I got very used to holding the console correctly in about 2 weeks, and it feels completely natural for me now to hold it in a way that the 3D looks smooth. And really, unless you're playing Zelda 3D, it takes quite a bit more than a nanometer to ruin the effect (I know you're using a hyperbole, but I'm just saying).
Of course it's an exageration, I was just pointing out the issue.

By the way, since when the gamers are supposed to learn how to hold handheld consoles? This sounds like Apple's excuse for iPhones that lost signal - it doesn't work because you're holding it wrong.

The truth is that this technology is relatively new and the 3DS's effect of 3D is easily lost if not in the correct sweetspot because the backlight of the screens is not strong enough to properly project the images and battery life constraints restrict the use of brighter backlighting. A simple move left or right may cause interference, losing the 3D effect or even blurring out the whole screen, and it doesn't have to be so. Nintendo didn't think of utilizing the camera or the built-in gyro to *scan* for that kind of movement and adjust the setting of the barrier to accomodate the sudden tilt despite the fact that it's perfectly doable software-wise.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

That's actually opinion.

It depends on the type of style you like. For example, I can say Uncharted is "eh" looking, but Zelda looks better because I prefer it's style.

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Interesting... I did not know that. Hopefully Nintendo gets that right in the future (not necessarily in a 3DS "update", but in its successor 5 years down the line, or so)

Reactions: 2 people

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

That's actually opinion.

It depends on the type of style you like. For example, I can say Uncharted is "eh" looking, but Zelda looks better because I prefer it's style.
This isn't a question of style - there is nothing inheritently limiting developers from developing games that look cartoony for the Vita - nothing at all. It doesn't work both ways though - developing a game that would be graphically on-par with the Vita for the 3DS is quite an undertaking given the technical limitations of the 3DS, the lower computing speed, smaller resolution and a set of other factors.

Interesting... I did not know that. Hopefully Nintendo gets that right in the future (not necessarily in a 3DS "update", but in its successor 5 years down the line, or so)
It's entirely implementable in a software update - they just have to feel like doing it.
True, except that because the Vita is more powerful, it's CAPABLE of the "style" of games like Zelda, plus much more, whereas the 3DS is limited because it's less powerful.
Tru Dat, you Ninja'd me at the nick of time, lol.

Reactions: 1 person

DragorianSword

GBAtemp's #1 Gunter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I'll admit that Revelations looks quite neat on the 3DS, but so did other games based on this engine that were released on underpowered consoles like the Wii - it's simply created in a way that covers up imperfections and is incredibly versatile. The Vita simply has more resources, more computing power and a higher-resolution screen - of course the games will look "better" on it as achieving good results will require inheritently less optimizing.

But that's the whole point. This just proves that games can be great even without incredibly powerfull CPU's and stuff.
Look at Skyward Sword on Wii which looks incredible.

Ofcourse it's true that in general the PSVita has the best graphic capacity of the two, but the 3D of the 3DS is pretty incredible too.
As for games I'm more attracted to the 3DS for the moment (with Kid Icarus and Kingdom Hearts) ands because I am a big fan of the DS because it had a lot of games with a really good story (which is the most important in a game to me).
For the moment I can't say there are a lot of games that interest me on the PSVita except maybe Assassin's Creed.
But I think like with the 3DS we will have to wait a while for the good games to come out, but I will probably buy it one day.

BrightNeko

Popcorn ball
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
From my experience with the two they are actually pretty much on par at the moment. Nothing on the vita look so amazing that it tops the current best looking game on the 3DS (RE revelations)

Due to higher aspect ratio though the vita would win out because it is rendering for a lot more to show. As a parallel the 3DS has better draw distance from what I've seen, though very few games use anti-aliasing.

Most of this is opinion though. An I'd rather go into how heavy the freaking vita is. >_>

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
But that's the whole point. This just proves that games can be great even without incredibly powerfull CPU's and stuff.
Look at Skyward Sword on Wii which looks incredible.
In comparison to what? Other Wii titles, I presume?
Of course it's true that in general the PSVita has the best graphic capacity of the two, but the 3D of the 3DS is pretty incredible too.
I never said otherwise. In fact, I recommend the purchase of the 3DS wholeheartedly if that is what the buyer's aiming at, and I will in fact bold it in this post so that it goes beyond a shadow of a doubt.
As for games I'm more attracted to the 3DS for the moment (with Kid Icarus and Kingdom Hearts) and because I am a big fan of the DS because it had a lot of games with a really good story (which is the most important in a game to me).
That's all nice and dandy, but this was not the OP's question. The question was, which of the two will offer a better graphical experience and to me, 3D that sometimes works and sometimes doesn't with some jaggies doesn't exactly top full HD. That is of course my opinion, that's why I gave the positive aspects of both systems on a plate.
For the moment I can't say there are a lot of games that interest me on the PSVita except maybe Assassin's Creed.
But I think like with the 3DS we will have to wait a while for the good games to come out, but I will probably buy it one day.
For now there aren't, but what if next year or in two years time there will be titles that'll interest you? Of course, you will get a Vita. A console is not a purchase for "here and now", it's a purchase for the entire generation - consider that as a factor aswell.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
From my experience with the two they are actually pretty much on par at the moment. Nothing on the vita look so amazing that it tops the current best looking game on the 3DS (RE revelations)

Let's not be so blissfuly oblivious to the differences between the two:

[yt]zfVVIINpBag[/yt]

You can clearly see that RE: Revelations levels were designed to use as little polygons as possible, you can see that the textures are lower-resolution and you can see that the overall feel is saved only by the use of Anti-Aliasing. Uncharted shows amazing lighting effects, much higher-res textures, much more complex levels... You know what I mean. They both look great, but only *for the hardware they were made for*.

Just as a footnote, I disagree with the comments in this video, I am only posting it because it shows head to head how both games look like on the actual hardware, not on some advertisement video and it's in 720p, if someone finds a better comparison then do post it.

EDIT: Dang it, no auto-merge? >>

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Simply put, the Vita's ability (not whether a particular game does) to output graphics is superior to the 3DS.

Now, if you are deciding on whether to get a Vita or a 3DS, your choice shouldn't simply be based on graphics. It's the games that make the system worth it, and it is your opinion, not others, that determines if titles are of interest.

BrightNeko

Popcorn ball
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

The thing here is what they show off from revelations doesn't show the lighting and levels from the past missions. Which are look very nice and similar to what you would see in uncharted. Though in part this is limited because there are no grassy areas or hilltops to roam.

-edit-
I do give that it looks better though. I'd never pick up uncharted because of 1 and 2 being glitchy generic messes, so I didn't know how nice it looked.

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
If you can stand some jaggies that are present in most games and apparently only Capcom found a way to properly deal with them, really, really wish to experience the depth effect and don't mind the fact that you will lose it the moment you move the console a nanometer to either side of the sweet spot, get the 3DS.

If you simply want high definition graphics on a good-looking screen and don't particularily care for 3D, get the Vita.

Comparing the two as far as "Graphics Experience" is concerned is like comparing a Mini Cooper and a Ferrari in a race track environment - one has some curves that are definatelly pleasant for the eyes (3D effect) and some may prefere it, one has flat surfaces (no 3D, d'uh). The moment you look under the hood though, no matter how you look at it, the Cooper can only hope to smell Ferrari's exhaust fumes when the green light lights up and the race starts. To elaborate...

The capacity of the Vita to create advanced 3D environment is *miles* ahead of that of the 3DS in all respects - a quad GPU and a quad CPU obliterate all oposition, as of today I can't think of a portable device that would have a beefier setup and when it comes to graphics, stronger is better. There is no questioning that without looking slightly silly.

The MT framwork mobile engine used for the game wasn't used in the Wii games, and the Wii games don't even remotely looks as good or are as technically impressive, best looking RE Wii game was Dark side Chronicles but that was on rails with few open environments.
This game doesn't cover anything up by only using small corridors or whatever, there are times when you have like 10 character models on screen with wi-fi and 4xAA enabled without lag, and there's stuff like self shadowing, bump mapping etc, I think that the 3DS will be capable of displaying Vita games as they are right now within a few years, with much lower resolution and with use of the other core of course (disabling the Internet browser while playing).
http://andriasang.com/comp7w/3ds_mt_framework_detailed/

Still I think that it's because that the engine has been optimized for that specific platform, Capcom is an experienced company so it isn't strange that they got it running.
The Vita however will receive much better looking games in the future given the hardware differences, that is once developers figure things out, but as of now the difference isn't that big.
Also the Vita is rendering everything at an QHD higher resolution, something that also takes up power.

So yeah I agree the Vita is a beast but the 3DS is so much better than Wii graphics.

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country

That's actually opinion.

This isn't a question of style - there is nothing inheritently limiting developers from developing games that look cartoony for the Vita - nothing at all. It doesn't work both ways though - developing a game that would be graphically on-par with the Vita for the 3DS is quite an undertaking given the technical limitations of the 3DS, the lower computing speed, smaller resolution and a set of other factors.

Except for the fact that most devs for the Vita are most probably NOT going to chose a simplistic graphics style when they have the power of the Vita to play with.

Also, I think the 'sweet-spot' argument is kinda invalid (IMO anyway) because when I first played my 3DS I found that I automatically held it in the sweet-spot after about 30 seconds and never had any problems since, it becomes automatic and effortless. (Although I should point out I'm kinda pro at 3D stuff (if I do say so myself :P) and have been using all kinds since I was about 6 years old).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3xQO7neBmy0&pp=ygUXU2hvd2VyIHNjZW5lIEhhbGYgYmFrZWQ%3D