Hacking Where to get a firmware 4.5 or below 3DS XL?

kalimero

Uncle Rupee
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I got a WHITE 3DS XL on the first days of 2014.
copyright 2013
serial SEH1153xxxx
firmware 4.5.0-10E

update----------
I risked my luck and went to change it for a black one today, and got lucky.
Black/Black 3DS XL
Copyright 2013
Serial SEF1153xxxx
firmware 4.5.0-10E

Both from Spain.

There were plenty of blue-red-silver/black with 2012 copyright and serial Sxx107 and similar.

Nice. Now we are getting closer to the introduction of FW 5.0 :yaynds:

Gadgetguy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hello all, I have learnt a lot from this thread. Thank you all.

I did not see too many recent comments from Canada - so here is what I have learnt:

I have seen several older units ( blue and red) with "safe" serial numbers SW11xxx and below - at ebgames stores (for example at the Mississauga, Clarkson Ebgames location). Also Walmart at 427/QEW (Sherway gardens) had several older units (serial number is visible in the glass cabinet).

I have called multiple Ebgames stores before I bought my unit (mine is a blue SW10xxx serial - 4.2 firmware). They were all willing to check the serial number by phone.

Nobody seems to know (at least in the stores I have been at) why the FW matters (they all asked me why I cared). My response was: the newer ones have a weaker hinge...

I hope this helps someone....

Relenting

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
White 3DS XL received today. I bought it from a Finnish online shop, but for some reason they sent me one that came with Spanish, Portuguese and Italian instructions. No English nor Finnish... I don't understand diddly-squat of these foreign runes.

But it's 4.5.0-10E. Serial SEH1152, ©2013. I'm quite surprised and happy since I didn't specifically ask them for this. They have free returns, so I was simply going to check the box and return if necessary. In fact I was preparing to buy an Ebay (huuto.net) one. But that one's in a different color, so it wouldn't have been as optimal as this.

Edit: Oh, and I forgot to thank the creators of the spreadsheet, which let me know the version from the serial. The store wouldn't have allowed for a return after I had booted up the system. The thing does seem to have an option to wipe the slate clean, though.

Reactions: kalimero

Loke

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Bought a red/black one today. Serial number SEH 105, year 2012. Came with 4.2 firmware. Got it in bart smit molenpoort, nijmegen, netherlands. Still plenty left in blue, silver, pink, black and pink. Checked 4 of them and highest was SEF113.

Chrome78

Trophies
XP
Country
France
first of all, i want to thanks kalimero for his work to make a list and other people to help him to complete it.

i managed to get one 3ds xl with a good firmware.

i got grey/black 3ds xl
copyright 2012
firmware : 4.4.0.10e
serial : SEF-1102

3ds community... here i come :)

Luke McScary

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
hey I just bought a unopened 3DS XL off ebay,
Blue/Black
copyright 2012
serial SUF1043

firmware was 6.3 (or something) so yeah where that guide says anything under Sxx1138xxxx should be fine.. it was a lie! :(

mathieulh

Trophies
Website
keybase.io
XP
Country
France
Beware that some vendors received a notice from Nintendo asking them to update consoles prior to selling those.
For instance FNAC in France is following this policy and selling consoles as brand new.

Reactions: cearp

LegendaryFighter

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Some serials I got from friends:

SEF1120xxxxx with Firmware 4.4.0-10E Colour: Grey / Copyright: 2012
SEH1177xxxxx with Firmware 6.1. Colour: Red/Black / Copyright: 2012
SEH1130xxxxx with Firmware 4.5.0-10E Colour: Blue/Black / Copyright: 2012
SEH1146xxxxx with Formware 4.5.0-10E Colour: Pink / Copyright: 2013

Reactions: SlRlUS and kalimero

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Shouldn't be legal considering the box's been opened, but there is no way to tell, and good luck proving it in court.

Are they pulling the circle shaped seals off carefully/with heat and then using new ones to reseal? or do EU boxes not have those? and are just completely unsealed?

Either way, that aint right :(. If I buy new, I want new. Not one that has been taken out, probably with not much care, updated and shoved backed in a box.

"Escromania" is also doing this shit.

:O

How do you guys find out who is doing this? Not doubting anyone, just wondering how you found out, as I doubt it's something they announce :).

I wonder if anyone here is doing it (UK). Already have a 4.5 3ds, so I'm good, but that is some shady stuff :(.

gtmtnbiker

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just picked up a unit myself from Ebay that is version 4.4. I'll post the serial number once the unit arrives.
I tried looking in the stores but it was too much work. It seems that Gamestop refurbs all of their 3DS. That is, they send them to a central facility to wipe them clean, probably update the system version and then clean them up and put screen protectors on them.

I think Ebay is the easiest route. I just will look for units that I like and then send a PM to the seller asking for the version info. I'll also include a little blurb on how they can get the details. The only drawback is that the Ebay message system requires you to enter a captcha to send the PM. Kind of a pain but still much easier than trekking from store to store.

In the responses I received, I found about 50% of the units were 4.5 and under so there's definitely a good number of units out there.

lozislove

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I bought a flame red 3DS online and got it today. I'm disappointed it's on 4.5 because I wanted to use it for cloning Pokemon. lol. I'd rather not update it now, because I know eventually 4.5 will be hard to come by so I'm better off keeping it on this firmware.

Saturosias

thank
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unless you know the people working there asking them what models they have will be harder.
I literally called them up and asked if they had a SW12XX or lower XL console, asked them to hold one for me, and then went and bought it. They won't question you or anything.

I bought a flame red 3DS online and got it today. I'm disappointed it's on 4.5 because I wanted to use it for cloning Pokemon. lol.
Well, if you purchase the game digitally on EmuNAND, once you get all the Pokémon you want to clone you can back up an image of the SD card, trade them over and then restore the exact SD image, it's faster than turning off the 3DS after each Pokémon trade if you're doing more than 4 really.

lozislove

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I just looked up 4.5 consoles on eBay, to see how much they've sold for and noticed a seller sold a red limited edition Pokemon X/Y XL on 4.4.0.10E. I thought they only came with 6.1 firmware?

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I just looked up 4.5 consoles on eBay, to see how much they've sold for and noticed a seller sold a red limited edition Pokemon X/Y XL on 4.4.0.10E. I thought they only came with 6.1 firmware?
There's always that odd one out. Possible that he replaced the motherboard, too, unless it was listed as new.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: you can fap to your favorite character without it being gay