Gaming Where is Metroid?

RevPokemon

GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recommend skipping Metroid (NES) and Metroid II (GB) entirely, they haven't aged too well. Zero Mission is a great start and basically a remake of the original, NES Metroid anyway. Super Metroid is an excellent game though, even to this day. It's not unfair, there's a ton of secrets and stuff and it's quite doable in terms of difficulty. There are some parts that typically require help of the internet though (looking at you, noob bridge and glass pipe)
Well atleast things such as emulators and auto save help a bit along with the internet.

G0R3Z

Just Can't Be Bothered
Trophies
XP
Country
I've also become very disappointed with nintendo remaking the same games and giving no love to older, once beloved series. We had Metroid games for Wii, so it's not like they've forgotten it forever. How about a new Ice Climbers, Pilotwings, Starfox (without the rpg elements), a Wii F-Zero or Bomberman? Any new games for those series would be awesome. Even just F-Zero would wet my buds.

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
I've also become very disappointed with nintendo remaking the same games and giving no love to older, once beloved series. We had Metroid games for Wii, so it's not like they've forgotten it forever. How about a new Ice Climbers, Pilotwings, Starfox (without the rpg elements), a Wii F-Zero or Bomberman? Any new games for those series would be awesome. Even just F-Zero would wet my buds.

I feel your pain, but you should have realistic expectations:

1. Pilotwings Resort came out in 2011 for the Nintendo 3DS, which is a current handheld console
2. Star Fox has been confirmed to be in the making for Wii U, so wait for the release next year to see what it's like
3. Bomberman isn't a Nintendo title, it's owned by Hudson Soft, which has ceased to exist as a company in 2012 and is now merged with Konami. So direct your frustration towards Konami.

This leaves us with Metroid, F-Zero, and Ice Climbers. I'm not sure if Ice Climbers should be resurrected, as I can't imagine a new Ice Climbers game that would make sense on the Wii U. However for Metroid and F-Zero, I wholeheartedly agree. We need those series resurrected on the Wii U and it needs to happen fast.

Reactions: TecXero

G0R3Z

Just Can't Be Bothered
Trophies
XP
Country
I've got the metroid prime trilogy and I still think they're some of the best FPS games ever made. I'm not an FPS guy but I love these games. Even side scrolling metroid or a third person metroid would be good. F-zero has to be done though, they didn't have a Wii version, they need to put it on the Wii U.

Saying that, they started putting F-zero content on stuff like mario kart's DLC, perhaps suggesting they're not bothering with the series and pushing it aside in favor of mario kart, which seems to have become a super kart bros. with characters that aren't in mario. It's hardly mario kart anymore.

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Saying that, they started putting F-zero content on stuff like mario kart's DLC, perhaps suggesting they're not bothering with the series and pushing it aside in favor of mario kart, which seems to have become a super kart bros. with characters that aren't in mario. It's hardly mario kart anymore.

How can you say that when 2 out of 3 DLC characters in the first pack (titled Legend of Zelda × Mario Kart 8) are from the Mario universe (Cat Peach and Tanooki Mario) with just 1 DLC character actually representing the Zelda series (Link)? Just because there's literally only 1 F-Zero track, 1 F-Zero vehicle, and 1 Captain Falcon Mii Racing Suit as DLC accounts to nothing. Did you forget that Nintendo Land had an entire F-Zero minigame?

There are currently 33 available characters in the roster (including current DLC), of which 31 are from Mario games. The last two (Mii racer, Link) are not from Mario games. That's 31 out of 33, or 94%. So Mario Kart 8 features >90% characters from Mario games and you say it's hardly Mario Kart anymore?

Further, it's not like Nintendo hasn't acknowledged F-Zero:
"I certainly understand that people want a new F-Zero game," Miyamoto said. "I think where I struggle is that I don’t really have a good idea for what’s new that we could bring to F-Zero that would really turn it into a great game again. Certainly I can see how people looking at Mario Kart 8 could see, through the anti-gravity, a connection to F-Zero. But I don’t know, at this point, what direction we could go in with a new F-Zero."
Source: http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/06/20/dont-get-your-hopes-up-for-f-zero

It's likely they're gauging fan interest through these minigames and DLCs and Virtual Console releases of F-Zero content that they've been dropping here and there. I'm also fairly sure Nintendo wouldn't want to crush its future with third party developer Shin'en, who is currently working on an F-Zero-like game (FAST Racing Neo) for Wii U. I'm waiting for that game first.

G0R3Z

Just Can't Be Bothered
Trophies
XP
Country
You remember last story? that game was amazing!

Many of the best wii rpg's came late on. Xenoblade chronicles, Last story, Arc Rise Fantasia and Pandora's Tower ( it was good but a little mediocre ). Nintendo seems to build momentum and gain a lot of third party support towards the end of their console's life spans. Take the Gamecube, their third party support wasn't good until the gamecube's end. when loads of new niche games were exclusives on GC.

I think the same will happen for Wii U, people snub it initially now but I think developers will warm to the odd little console.

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
I think the same will happen for Wii U, people snub it initially now but I think developers will warm to the odd little console.

Games take time to make... That's not a secret. AAA multi-million budget games are a different thing. The good games can take up to 6 years or even longer. Case in point, I've been following the development of Rodea the Sky Soldier and it's been in development for close to 6 years now, originally planned to come out on the Wii, but later revised for the Wii U and to be released this April in Japan: http://gbatemp.net/threads/rodea-the-sky-soldier-wii-u-thread.374827/

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
There's still 2016-2018 (no Wii U games announced for these years) so we might get a proper Kirby game by then, an F-Zero and a Metroid. That's what you can hope for.

RevPokemon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's still 2016-2018 (no Wii U games announced for these years) so we might get a proper Kirby game by then, an F-Zero and a Metroid. That's what you can hope for.
Personally id love for that and possibly other forgotten Nintendo franchises like custom robo,EBA, and Chibi robo

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Personally id love for that and possibly other forgotten Nintendo franchises like custom robo,EBA, and Chibi robo
I'd really like a new Ice Climbers for the Wii U because the last console I remember that had a game about them was the NES, yes, the floors were very slippery but people have to remember they're on ice.

Heck, Ice Climbers NES remastered in HD would be enough for me since that game is just about going up and up.

Reactions: RevPokemon

RevPokemon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd really like a new Ice Climbers for the Wii U because the last console I remember that had a game about them was the NES, yes, the floors were very slippery but people have to remember they're on ice.

Heck, Ice Climbers NES remastered in HD would be enough for me since that game is just about going up and up.
Also they need to add them into ssb4 as dlc

RevPokemon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is possible, after all.

Remember that besides Mewtwo there's one remaining spot so it could be for the Ice Climbers, Lucas or some other unannounced character(s).
Or add lucas as a ness suit, Roy as a marth suit, and add ice climbers

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: hot take: freddy fazbear's pizzeria simulator is peak fnaf