When do you think USB-A will be discontinued and USB-C becomes the standard for all?

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
It also doesn't help that USB "standards" are looser than an e-girl. The specs should be tightened up, so shit like my laptop having a "USB type C port on the USB 2.0 bus" deception doesn't happen. I was excited to see it had a USB C port, but after running a few speed tests... it's on the SHARED USB 2.0 bus with the SD card reader (also unaccaptable). It might as well just be a USB type A port, as I could at least plug in a mouse there without the need for an adapter. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Marc_LFD

console

Elvira fans ❤ :-) I'm rocking Windows 7 for 10 yrs
Trophies
Website
www.startpage.com
XP
Country
United States
I already know about USB-C and upset me little bit. I already bought USB A to USB C adapter and USB C to USB A adapter from Amazon and Newegg to solve my problems when I need to use USB A/C if other is full in use it.

I think future will be keep balance in 80% for USB A ports and 20% for USB C ports for many years. But I prefer USB A over USB C because more stronger hold won't loose in port.

Problem with USB C is more fragile can get break down more easily than USB A. My dad phone had USB C port is worn out after 3 years and now loose inside unable to charge battery. He force to do little force bent left or right to get battery charge but slower due to loose inside USB C port.

USB C is worst than USB A. I just want to warning everyone about USB C don't last longer than USB A means it will tear / wear down faster than USB A. USB A ports are stronger last more longer years (10 years and still counting...) to use more often than USB C ports.

I had my old HP desktop (Windows 7) have all USB A ports and never have USB C port, now over 10 years and 5 months running without problems! Very solid for all USB A ports have zero problems and never loose. Still very stronger keep going and going after 10 years. Anyone surprise? That's what I did experience myself on USB A ports for many years. Zero problems after 10 years!

Last edited by console,

Magsor

I am watching you
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I can't wait for USB-D because good USB-C cables are hard to come by. CAT6 is a better standard that way I can rely on it. I have trown away half the ones I come across.

BigOnYa

Has A Very Big
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't wait for USB-D because good USB-C cables are hard to come by. CAT6 is a better standard that way I can rely on it. I have trown away half the ones I come across.
You mean this: (Not real but funny)
Screenshot 2024-01-19 194105.png

Last edited by BigOnYa,

BigOnYa

Has A Very Big
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Then it becomes known as the USB-X or USB-Plus cable depending how you look at it. 😆

I'm hoping USB-C is here to stay for years to come, I honestly don't like the look of that.. thing.
It's not real anyways, notice the date, was somebody's April fools. If you read it, some of the key words are 1tb/sec speeds, 1.21GigaWatts of power-(Back to the Future), then funny at the end, Samsung claims it will release it "before Apple does"

Last edited by BigOnYa,

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico

johnapplebottom

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As great as USB-C is, I can't see USB-A going anywhere as it is used everywhere and even in 3, 5, and 8 years time it'll still be used, but in 10 years time? Maybe, I guess.

I don't have anything against USB-A as I use it daily as well as USB-C at home and on the road. What do I mean against? Some or a few people are really unhappy USB-A is the standard, that's why.
I give it another 3 years tops before its phased out tbh, Tech advances too quickly for it to stay around forever.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
When they start removing them from motherboards and give us a shitload of type C ports instead. Disappointed mine only came with 1, and a header for another.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
With the removal of USB-C, this will make it difficult for older devices with other USB types to be connected. Even with an adapter, this might cause some connectivity problems.
The only issue I've come across is some connector adapters that go from type C back to type A is one side is usb 2.0 and the other side is USB 3.0, and it can be hard to tell which is which since it's not marked.

Reactions: SylverReZ

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I hope USB A connectors will still be the standard on PC's and laptops for a very long time. The bigger connectors are a lot more durable then the smaller USB C ones. And if they break, the chances are that they are easier to replace because most of them are still through-hole parts.

All of my PC's and laptops only have USB A. Except one or two of them they are all even still USB 2.0 :)

The only things that have USB C are the smartphone and the Nintendo Switch + gamepad.
Type A 3.0 connectors are anything but durable, they lose connection every time you touch the cable.
I can't wait for Type A to go away.

• Haha
Reactions: SylverReZ

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Type A 3.0 connectors are anything but durable, they lose connection every time you touch the cable.
I can't wait for Type A to go away.
Its probably because you have cheap cables with shitty shielding.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Its probably because you have cheap cables with shitty shielding.
LTT/Anker drama aside, I still stand by Anker for all my USB cable needs. Best quality and reliable cables I've ever owned. Nintendo also makes amazing USB C cables.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto