Solution required for keeping multiple USB hard drives awake in Linux

peteruk

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I've tried a couple of other places already with no real success, so I thought why not try here as there's some very clever people

I'm certainly not an expert but I have been trying hard to learn as I use different versions of Linux for the past year and I'm enjoying it, currently I'm using Manjaro which for the most part has been great for me

The problem I need help with is as follows... I have 9 hard drives connected to my PC over USB, they are split over 2 Orico multi disc housing boxes and again for the most part have been great

The issue I have is that these drives keep falling asleep unless I access them in some way every 5 or so minutes, it's frustrating as I primarily use this pc as a large media server strictly for my home and if they do go to sleep it means that when someone pauses a video for more than a few minutes it takes a while to come back online and sometimes even crashes

So as a working solution I've been using an excellent little open source program called PingHD which creates a text file on the hard drive every X amount of milliseconds specified by the user - my problem is that I need to have 9 separate instances of the program running at the same time which isn't ideal, I have 9 little pinghd icons on the bottom right of my taskbar which I cannot seem to group together or hide which looks super untidy and worse of all is any time I need to reboot the pc I need to manually go to each drive and run the program (9 times)

There has to be a better solution available to me, even as a newbie, which will automate this process from perhaps just one instance of a program? Which will automatically run whenever the pc is reboot

In a perfect world I would discover a GUI Linux program which runs at boot and automatically starts writing that little text files to -all- drives without any user participation

Just to add that I've messed about with HDParm and SDParm and they don't really do what I need

I hope someone is familiar with a workaround or program.... Thanks for reading :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto