Gaming What's the difference between 360s?

deathfisaro

Narcistic Deathfisaro Fan
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I see there are like core, premium, Elite, and stuff.
360 is the only next gen console thing I don't have access to, (My girlfriend has a Wii but she lives quite far so I might just get a Wii as well, but choosing which model of Wii to get is very simple)

but I found Elite too expensive. If I have 500GB external HDD and Blu-ray player, I figure there's very little merit of large HDD and HD-DVD drive. But what exact difference are there between different models?
Are all models moddable?
Also, are any models obsolete in North America? The cheapest I see in nearby retailers are $499 bundle pack.

I figured instead of buying 4 multi platform games for PS3, I'd just get a cheap model or used working 360 and run backup DVD off it.

P.S. anybody selling modded working used 360 for cheap?

Xbox360

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I see there are like core, premium, Elite, and stuff.
360 is the only next gen console thing I don't have access to, (My girlfriend has a Wii but she lives quite far so I might just get a Wii as well, but choosing which model of Wii to get is very simple)

but I found Elite too expensive. If I have 500GB external HDD and Blu-ray player, I figure there's very little merit of large HDD and HD-DVD drive. But what exact difference are there between different models?
Are all models moddable?
Also, are any models obsolete in North America? The cheapest I see in nearby retailers are $499 bundle pack.

I figured instead of buying 4 multi platform games for PS3, I'd just get a cheap model or used working 360 and run backup DVD off it.

P.S. anybody selling modded working used 360 for cheap?

Core: Comes with a few accessories, no HDD, but very cheap.
Premium: 20GB HDD, comes with all the accessories you need and a 1 month Gold Live! Card
Elite: 120GB HDD, HDMI, Revised MoBo and comes with all the extras Premium does and has stored content on the HDD already, which you can delete if you wish to.

It's defianatly worth it, the 360 is an amazing console, out of all the consoles, handhelds and even my PC, I prefer gaming on it.

deathfisaro

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks for answering, I still need to know about other two

2) Are all models moddable?
Also, 3) are any models obsolete in North America? The cheapest I see in nearby retailers are $499 bundle pack
And new question arose, Revised MoBo means it doesn't get the ring of death?

aslacker55

I like pie
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for answering, I still need to know about other two

2) Are all models moddable?
Also, 3) are any models obsolete in North America? The cheapest I see in nearby retailers are $499 bundle pack
And new question arose, Revised MoBo means it doesn't get the ring of death?

2) It depends what dvd drive you get with the 360. There are Benq drive that can't be softmodded and the hitachi v0079 will need to desolder the firmware chip and program it externally.

3) No models are obselete. The revised MoBo puts a new heatsink, but it doesn't mean you won't get the 3 RROD.

SlyGuy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm holding off on buying one because if it breaks and you've voided your warrenty by modding it, good luck on getting that fixed! Considering 33% of all XBOX 360's (alegedly) are having problems, it's not something I'm willing to risk as of yet.

If they improve their hardware soon, I'll look into it. Then again, they would have to rehack that I'm sure!

deathfisaro

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I'm holding off on buying one because if it breaks and you've voided your warrenty by modding it, good luck on getting that fixed! Considering 33% of all XBOX 360's (alegedly) are having problems, it's not something I'm willing to risk as of yet.

If they improve their hardware soon, I'll look into it. Then again, they would have to rehack that I'm sure!

Wait, so even after I kill it and get A/Sed, it will die again? If that's true, it shouldn'be called after "service". Wow that really turned me down. I seriously wonder why users haven't sued Microsoft already if A/S doesn't fix the RRoD.

SlyGuy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm holding off on buying one because if it breaks and you've voided your warrenty by modding it, good luck on getting that fixed!  Considering 33% of all XBOX 360's (alegedly) are having problems, it's not something I'm willing to risk as of yet.

If they improve their hardware soon, I'll look into it.  Then again, they would have to rehack that I'm sure!

Wait, so even after I kill it and get A/Sed, it will die again? If that's true, it shouldn'be called after "service". Wow that really turned me down. I seriously wonder why users haven't sued Microsoft already if A/S doesn't fix the RRoD.
Sorry, what do you mean by "killing it and getting it A/Sed"? You are going to try and burnout your 360 on purpose and then take it in to be repaired?

deathfisaro

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
When I'm not using it, I'll just leave it on forever on some game's title screen (electricity is included in my rent so doesn't matter how much it eats up, of course TV will be turned off) until it gets RRoD,
When I'm awake AND not playing DS AND not playing PSP AND not playing PS3, I'll play it normally.

I'm not aware of how long it will take, but for sure I won't do that during summer, I don't want a radiator running in my living room when it's already hot, and I don't want to buy mediocre games that I know can be run on backups so probably wait until Blue Dragon too. I need a game to play when it doesn't get RRoD fast enough and there's no other game that interests me atm. I'm purely investing in for upcoming multi platform titles like GTA, Assassin's Creed, and whatnot.

QUOTE said:
Sorry, what do you mean by "killing it and getting it A/Sed"? You are going to try and burnout your 360 on purpose and then take it in to be repaired?

Exactly, so I can be free from "can't get a/sed because modded" hassle, assuming a/s fixes the problem.

Azimuth

Chicken Teriyaki Boy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Its hard to purposely get RRoD, even if you leave the 360 on for a long time. I have had my 360 for almost a year now and have left it on for 16hrs straight with no problems. Its just your luck, you might get RRoD at any time.

Getting it serviced on purpose isn't wise, they just stick in another heatsink or give you a refurbished console and theres still a chance it will get RRoD again.

Sooner or later you will void the warranty, so why not do it now?

legendofphil

Phil no Densetsu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It seems that fixed consoles have a much shorter life span.
Mine lasted 8 months then died, repaired (new mobo), lasted 2 months and now its off being repaired again and apprently its going to take 4-6 weeks, last time it was 1 week.

Jiggah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The easiest way to do this would be to use the towel trick to make sure the board itself flexs and causes the solder to melt, then even if it works, you can return it saying that you'll get occasional TRoDs. Sometimes it'll run fine, sometimes it won't. When they check the board itself, the soldering and the board should have flexed. It's just a thought.

fuuuuuu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Dont mean to jack the thread but what about 360 backups? do you run them from a HD? or dvd? i i herd the games are dual layered or something like that or are there stripped versions brought out by release groups?

deathfisaro

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Meh, if I buy 360 to save money from buying multi platform games but I don't think it's worth the effort. I'll wait until fixed models come out, then the old models price would drop significantly, then I'll grab a working second hand old model for cheap.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1