Hacking What's the best flashcard to play NDS games?

TherealDarknes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i would not recommend the the dstwo its very expensive is terrible on the battery and the only thing it can emulate well are gb and gbc games not even nes games run well its also not the best put together kind of shoddy on some of the build quality

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Savior of the broken
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Reactions: slaphappygamer

GreatCrippler

Greatness Fallen
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SCDS2 is by far the best cart for the DS. The battery drain is being greatly exaggerated in this thread. That said, if you have A9LH installed already an R4i Gold clone of some kind that runs Wood is your best bet.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
SCDS2 is by far the best cart for the DS. The battery drain is being greatly exaggerated in this thread. That said, if you have A9LH installed already an R4i Gold clone of some kind that runs Wood is your best bet.
I have a DSTWO, and I know for experience that the battery drain is a major problem with them. They also heat up because of the SoC design, never turning off, causing a battery drain even while in sleep mode. The card is good if you want something more than to just play DS cards, but if you're running on a 3DS, much of the stuff you can do with a DSTWO can be done on the system itself, moreso with an n3DS.

aos10

Yuuki chan
Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
I used to think like that before.
Until i left my n3ds on sleep mode and dstwo inserted,i wake up and found the 3ds battery is completely empty.

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've never experienced such slowdown issues on a dstwo. The battery drain is a problem, but no other card does GBA emulators as well as it does. If you simply want to play DS games and that's it, then an r4i is indeed your best and cheapest option. The best as far as cheat engines and running emulators is the dstwo though. Hands down. Because of the SoC (and the cause of the battery drain). DSTwo plus has pretty much PERFECT GBA compatibility, as far as I can tell. Most other cards can't claim the same... with Golden Sun, for instance. Just never try using the Gateway emulation with that sucker.

Reactions: wormdood

skawo

Trophies
XP
Country
If you wanted to do GBA emulation on a 3DS... Why wouldn't you just use the native VC support. I mean, yeah, there's no savestates, but it's as perfect as it can get.

Cuphat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I agree, the DSTwo is the best flashcart for the DS. It's pricey though.

It is, however, not the best DS flashcart for 3DS. I like my DS flashcarts to sit in my cartridge slot patiently awaiting me to use them while I do 3DS things, not suck down my battery at all times. Any benefits you gain from the DSTwo is absolutely outweighed by price and battery drain considering the 3DS is far better at emulating things than the DSTwo.

Pereb

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hmmm, I bought this: R4iSDHC 2016 Dual-Core Wood

Bit late but... any R4 that has a year in the name has a time bomb hardcoded in and stops working after 2 years or so, unless you turn the DS system clock back. To my knowledge, the best flashcarts are from r4ids.cn and r4i-sdhc.com in that order.

Last edited by Pereb,
Reactions: slaphappygamer

Rain_1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
I've never experienced such slowdown issues on a dstwo. The battery drain is a problem, but no other card does GBA emulators as well as it does. If you simply want to play DS games and that's it, then an r4i is indeed your best and cheapest option. The best as far as cheat engines and running emulators is the dstwo though. Hands down. Because of the SoC (and the cause of the battery drain). DSTwo plus has pretty much PERFECT GBA compatibility, as far as I can tell. Most other cards can't claim the same... with Golden Sun, for instance. Just never try using the Gateway emulation with that sucker.

I'd say that "perfect" gba compatibility, while not wrong, is not ideal: I still get frame drops (from 60 to 56ish) and it makes some games that rely on timing (Rhythm Tengoku or the Wario Ware games, for instance) a little hard to play. And I feel an overall slugishness in the emulation that just doesn't seem right. Unless there's something better than TempGBA-mod-dstwo-26750220.zip + game_config_txt_for_tempgba4psp_tempgba-mod-dstwo.zip that i'm not aware of.

It is, however, not the best DS flashcart for 3DS. I like my DS flashcarts to sit in my cartridge slot patiently awaiting me to use them while I do 3DS things, not suck down my battery at all times. Any benefits you gain from the DSTwo is absolutely outweighed by price and battery drain considering the 3DS is far better at emulating things than the DSTwo.

I mean, I understand that and I completely agree. You can, however, just pop the cartridge halfway from the slot and it won't actually drop down. I rarely use my 3DS out of the house, so I don't know how would this work in extended outside abuse, but the cart is still snug in there and won't come out unless I physically remove it with my hands

Last edited by Rain_1,

Sleet

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bit late but... any R4 that has a year in the name has a time bomb hardcoded in and stops working after 2 years or so, unless you turn the DS system clock back. To my knowledge, the best flashcarts are from r4ids.cn and r4i-sdhc.com in that order.
Dual-core carts that run Wood don't suffer from this.

http://gbatemp.net/threads/whats-the-best-flashcard-to-play-nds-games.454462/reply?quote=6954273

No point didn't a NDS loader thats non dependent on a TWL Flashcart come out? Its called "NDS Loader"
It will take a while before compatibility is anywhere near as good as slot-1 loading.

Last edited by Sleet,

Cuphat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No point didn't a NDS loader thats non dependent on a TWL Flashcart come out? Its called "NDS Loader"

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

https://gbatemp.net/threads/nds-boo...ps-from-an-sd-card.454323/page-2#post-6948032
There is a point because NDS Bootstrap is still very early in its development. It's basically a proof of concept at this point. It's really cool, but it's not close to full support - it doesn't support save redirection yet, even.

WeedZ

Possibly an Enlightened Being
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    LTT also did it
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    jdhello
    @SylverReZ that guy seriously spent over 2 grand on that hot wheels pc?
    +1
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    LTT is a noob
    Guy doesnt know wtf hes talking about half the time
    @SylverReZ that reminds me that my friend sells CRTs he gets cheap or free for hundreds of dollars. people are dumb
    +1
    And is incredibly annoying.
    man I just washed my shoes and they look exactly the same as before I washed them :|
    luckily they didn't fall apart
    Some CRTs are very much worth the price
    i used to go out to the recycling center every couple weeks and look at the crts and other electronics people would drop off. Usually screens were broken or severely scratched from being tossed around. Did find a good one here and there, but never anything like a 1080i widescreen crt.
    Or a good contition 40" Sony Trini that weighs 300 lbs. lol
    Literally 300 lbs. lolol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I have a few of those boat anchors in my basement I tried giving away but no one wanted them, So anyone close to Columbus, Ohio area that wants them, (26", 2x 19") please come get, for free.
    Dont know anyone wants those smaller ones. Most are after larger sizes and the kinda top of the line models
    Motion handling and input lag on those things destroy plasmas, led, oled
    I had some really nice CRTs I should've kept
    now I have all lcd
    one in particular I regret getting rid of oh well :|
    the Sonys and stuff I don't care about
    and used LCD are hard to sell I can imagine.. not worth much
    @SylverReZ where do u lurk
  • a_username_that_isnt_cool @ a_username_that_isnt_cool:
    Is it piracy if it was released for free? Not in my opinion, but I also think it's not piracy if buying it isn't owning it, and it's not piracy if you can't buy it from the original creators anymore.
    a_username_that_isnt_cool @ a_username_that_isnt_cool: Is it piracy if it was released for free? Not in my opinion, but I also think it's not piracy if...