Hacking What would be the most cost effective way to hack a 360?

tiduscrying

that butt...
OP
Trophies
Website
tiduscrying.wordpress.com
XP
Country
United States
Hey everyone. After doing some research and keeping an eye on the prices of 360s at GameStop, I am debating buying one to hack. I'd like to get a system and hack it in order to play backups and JP games/backups. Before I bite the bullet and get a system, there are some things I want to understand a bit more first.

In the past I've done quite a few softmods of consoles. I have hacked a few Wiis, the original xbox, and the slim PS2. All of those mods were pretty software oriented, with the exception of the PS2 (since you have to block the sensors, but even so, it isn't a complicated process). After referring to the excellent sticky on hacking 360s here, and looking at the JTAG/RGH/R-JTAG tutorial over on se7ensins, the whole process seems a bit daunting. However, I do want to do it. I am wary of paying someone else to do it, plus I'd feel lame not doing it myself, haha. Plus, given the amount of options, hopefully there is something cost efficient and relatively easy...

The goal of hacking a 360 would be so I can play some Japanese shmups and other exclusives, as well as play backups. I could care less about online play, so that doesn't bother me if I lose it. When I purchase the system, I am unlikely to even hook it up to my wireless connection anyways. I also don't care too much about emulators and homebrew on the 360 either. All my emulation I do on my original xbox since that bad boy handles pretty much everything up to PS1/N64 flawlessly.

All that being said, here are my questions:
  • If I were to pick up a used 360 from GameStop, which console variant should I be searching for (phat, slim, super slim XONE looking thing)? Keeping in mind the easiest hacking method/price.
  • What are some pros vs cons of the X360Key over something like the JTAG/RGH methods?
  • Is DVD drive flashing still a plausible option? Or would constantly burning DVDs become a hassle (as well as finding the appropriate sized DVDs and a compatible burner for my PC)?
  • As far as soldiering difficulty goes, it is clear that the X360Key is going to be the easiest. But for the ~$60 price tag, is it worth it? Or should I invest in other options?
  • I understand that JTAG/RGH methods allow all sorts of things such as custom dashboards, homebrew, emulation and the ability to run and install games via various methods, but is it worth it for all the soldiering work I'd have to put into it?
  • Cost is something I am keeping in mind here, so as far as all the methods go, which is the cheapest?
  • As far as DVD backups go, is it really necessary to have that specific LITE-ON drive? What is so special about it?
I apologize for the wall of text, I just want to be specific here. I don't want to end up buying the wrong thing and have a whole mess on my hands, haha. I also know there are a lot of threads like this on the forums, but I tried to be as specific as possible to not make this a "halp feed me hacks plz" thread.

Thanks in advance! Eager to hear some stuff soon.

Last edited by tiduscrying,

hundshamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
  1. Model depend on if it is just the DVD hack (backup loader only, no region free) go for a phat Jasper identified by the power plug on the 360 itself. If you want an RGH (doubt you'll find one that is jtaggable anymore) the Trinity slim (10.x amp) is the way to go for the easiest tuning.
  2. Pro of Xkey is online play. The con is no homebrew.
  3. You will also still need to solder if installed to a slim to get the proper keys by way of RGH'ing it anyhow.
  4. Yes.
  5. The cheapest is a DVD flash if you have a compatible sata array. RGH is second cheapest and finally Xkey.
  6. Lite on drives are the most dependable IIRC. With DVD burning, there is no out of region play for your JAP shmups.

Reactions: tiduscrying

tiduscrying

that butt...
OP
Trophies
Website
tiduscrying.wordpress.com
XP
Country
United States
  1. Model depend on if it is just the DVD hack (backup loader only, no region free) go for a phat Jasper identified by the power plug on the 360 itself. If you want an RGH (doubt you'll find one that is jtaggable anymore) the Trinity slim (10.x amp) is the way to go for the easiest tuning.
  2. Pro of Xkey is online play. The con is no homebrew.
  3. You will also still need to solder if installed to a slim to get the proper keys by way of RGH'ing it anyhow.
  4. Yes.
  5. The cheapest is a DVD flash if you have a compatible sata array. RGH is second cheapest and finally Xkey.
  6. Lite on drives are the most dependable IIRC. With DVD burning, there is no out of region play for your JAP shmups.
Awesome reply, thanks! Just a few more questions regarding the Xkey though... Is it region free? Do I need to dump my system nand using another device, or is do I only need the Xkey to get it all up and going? I know some RGH kits I've seen floating around include all the chips necessary, as well as nand dumping tools and everything, but that's also quite a bit of soldering.

At this point, I am considering the Xkey a bit more, but if I need additional hardware to install the Xkey other than the solder-less board itself, I might consider the RGH method since it is cheaper...

Thanks again for the response!

hundshamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Xkey is just an ODE (Optical Drive Emulator). There is no region free with it. You do need a method to extract the DVD key (much easier in phats).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    B @ btjunior: yeah can i get the sigma sandwich with the skibidi shake?