What upcoming game of 2023 are you most excited for?

What upcoming game are you most excited for?

• Total voters

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It seems I am out of touch.

Have seen RE4 remake trailers. Some questionable aspects but if it is closer to the 2 remake than the 3 one then I am sure I will enjoy it when I get round to it some years from now.

Final Fantasy 16 is probably going to be more drivel but I still hold out some hope as some things they said were OK.

I would dearly love Advance Wars to return to form but quick and lazy reskin in a very dubious art style is all I am expecting here.

Zelda BOTW was a boring mess, though better than the earlier trailers had me expecting (I expected almost unplayable/my first open world). If they actually do some dungeons and puzzles this time around then maybe it could be worth a look. I am not holding my breath though.

Starfield might be good in 10 years with 500 updates and 5000 mods.

I did see that last Star Wars game got some nice reviews. Not played it yet though and doubt I will play this any time soon.

Forgot Dead Island 2 was to be a thing again. Say the name to me and I will think either of that trailer where he is running on a beachfront or the leaked build that dropped a while back. I am still on record as enjoying the cel shaded spinoff and the first had a redeeming quality. We shall see though.

Bayonetta 1 was OK, can see why it was dropped though and only resurrected because someone else was willing to fund it.

Diablo 4 has to follow the awfulness that was Diablo 3 so probably better than that. I want a co-op dungeon crawler the likes of which Diablos 1 and 2 are still reference examples all these years later but this is modern Blizzard so the sensible money is on them screwing it up hard.

Still have that last spiderman game to play at some point but if this can get as much buzz as that I might relive my fondness for PS1 and PS2 spiderman games.

Everything else.. eh. I am sure they will have their fans but fighting games lost me years ago and minecraft spinoffs tend to be underwhelming as examples of the game they are trying, and I never got into baseline minecraft either.

I would love to say other but as mentioned at the start I am somewhat out of touch it seems and tend to wait for something to be a surprise than pay much attention to what is to come.

AkiraKurusu

Pokémon's dead
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
It's okay to not be a Zelda fan. Sure, the game had it's problems, but Nintendo usually take and fixes most of the big complaints in their sequels with QoL fixes.
Oh, I am a Zelda fan - but a traditional one. I very much enjoy Twilight Princess, The Wind Waker, Link's Awakening DX/Switch, A Link Between Worlds, and Majora's Mask 3D (...with restoration patch), and find value in others.
Because, prior to BotW, Legend of Zelda had a very enjoyable formula that practically guaranteed at least a good time (unless the specific game was ruined by other mechanics bolted onto the base formula, like Skyward Sword's motion controls and stamina gauge).

Then Nintendo decided to trash that great formula in order to try something new...and it sucked. Massively.

No dungeons, no arsenal of gear gotten from dungeons and elsewhere (just four runes), extremely fragile equipment, bringing back the damn stamina gauge, a huge open-world that had plenty of needless empty space, a horrifically ugly art style that tried and failed to ape The Wind Waker's cel-shaded look, a lack of map markers thereby giving the player zero direction or clue as to where to find the content in this pointlessly-large open-world, shrines that all look the same, divine beasts that are incredibly poor dungeon replacements, not featuring enough spirit orbs to max out both Hearts and stamina (even with DLC), bringing back sexist Gerudo in a far worse way than in Ocarina of Time, Eventide Isle and the Master Sword Trials, all those damn Korok Seeds (and you need to find a good chunk of them to max out equipment carrying space)...

There's nothing salvageable about BotW's format. Nothing. Just return to the traditional and great formula already.

If I wanted to play a non-modern open-world game (as in, no industrialised cities and the like), I'd play Assassin's Creed Origins or Ghost of Tsushima, or even Skyrim (PC, because mods). BotW, and undoubtedly TotK, would be the absolute last games I'd ever consider, they're just that horrendously awful.
If I wanted to play a Legend of Zelda game, I'd go with the five I listed in the second sentence, or emulate the Oracle duo again, or emulate The Minish Cap. Heck, I'd even play through Skyward Sword, as flawed as it is, before I'd bother starting BotW again, simply because the base formula at its heart is just that fantastic.

Last edited by AkiraKurusu,

PICOchu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I know a friend of a friend who worked on Diablo which is pretty cool. Minecraft seems interesting too. But my heart lies with Zelda!
I’m slightly worried Nintendo might end up botching it in the end given how much they’re hyping this game up, but dangit, me and a friend of mine have been waiting so long. We want to get back to Hyrule!

Reactions: Dud

slaphappygamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From the given list, Zelda is an easy pick. I'm currently finishing up with BOTW so the timing is nice.
Metroid Prime 4 would be good but nothing has yet made me believe it's coming this year. 2 and 3 would be welcome in the interim tho.
I finished BoTW just a bit ago. I’m now going through to 100% it. I’m trying to get all shrines, side quests, and those little Korok shits. Those bastards are hard to find. I’d also like to complete The Trial of The Sword. That shit is hard! Fun game, though.

That said, I’m absolutely stoked about Tears of The Kingdom.

Edit: I totally forgot about Ghost Trick. That game was fun. Looking forward to a revamp.

Last edited by slaphappygamer,
Reactions: hippy dave

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I finished BoTW just a bit ago. I’m now going through to 100% it. I’m trying to get all shrines, side quests, and those little Korok shits. Those bastards are hard to find. I’d also like to complete The Trial of The Sword. That shit is hard! Fun game, though.

That said, I’m absolutely stoked about Tears of The Kingdom.

Edit: I totally forgot about Ghost Trick. That game was fun. Looking forward to a revamp.
Never played Ghost Trick but have only ever heard good things, so will check out the new version for sure.

Yeah I'm currently trying to find all the shitseeds before I lose interest (am at about 727), in between finishing up the Champion's Ballad (one more beast to go), still got to do the sword trial, then I'll finally go take on Calamity Gannon for the actual ending :rofl2:

Reactions: slaphappygamer

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Oh, I am a Zelda fan - but a traditional one. I very much enjoy Twilight Princess, The Wind Waker, Link's Awakening DX/Switch, A Link Between Worlds, and Majora's Mask 3D (...with restoration patch), and find value in others.
Because, prior to BotW, Legend of Zelda had a very enjoyable formula that practically guaranteed at least a good time (unless the specific game was ruined by other mechanics bolted onto the base formula, like Skyward Sword's motion controls and stamina gauge).

Then Nintendo decided to trash that great formula in order to try something new...and it sucked. Massively.

No dungeons, no arsenal of gear gotten from dungeons and elsewhere (just four runes), extremely fragile equipment, bringing back the damn stamina gauge, a huge open-world that had plenty of needless empty space, a horrifically ugly art style that tried and failed to ape The Wind Waker's cel-shaded look, a lack of map markers thereby giving the player zero direction or clue as to where to find the content in this pointlessly-large open-world, shrines that all look the same, divine beasts that are incredibly poor dungeon replacements, not featuring enough spirit orbs to max out both Hearts and stamina (even with DLC), bringing back sexist Gerudo in a far worse way than in Ocarina of Time, Eventide Isle and the Master Sword Trials, all those damn Korok Seeds (and you need to find a good chunk of them to max out equipment carrying space)...

There's nothing salvageable about BotW's format. Nothing. Just return to the traditional and great formula already.

If I wanted to play a non-modern open-world game (as in, no industrialised cities and the like), I'd play Assassin's Creed Origins or Ghost of Tsushima, or even Skyrim (PC, because mods). BotW, and undoubtedly TotK, would be the absolute last games I'd ever consider, they're just that horrendously awful.
If I wanted to play a Legend of Zelda game, I'd go with the five I listed in the second sentence, or emulate the Oracle duo again, or emulate The Minish Cap. Heck, I'd even play through Skyward Sword, as flawed as it is, before I'd bother starting BotW again, simply because the base formula at its heart is just that fantastic.
Eventide was fun for me. A good challenge. Same with the Master Sword trials and other DLC. The stamina meter was fine for me once I got about half of the full meter or so, as I didn't have to worry about running out as much. Lack of map markers? They were there, you just had to place them yourself. The game was based on exploration, like the first Zelda game was. It was on purpose. The art style is fine in my opinion, and far better looking than whatever the fuck "Link's Muddy Easter Adventure" was (Skyward Sword) right after the epic gritty ess of Twilight Princess. (Which had objectively the UGLIEST Link for me).

Pk11

A catgirl with a DSi
Trophies
Website
pk11.us
XP
Country
United States
I honestly hardly play video games these days, much less new ones, but zelda TOTK is the one game I'm actually probably going to get this year. BOTW is still the only Switch game I have really significant time in so I am rather interested to see the sequel.

2DSGamerdude

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Im xcited for Zelda BOTW II (Tears of Kingdom) sorry,

but 'm also excited for:

- Grim Guardians demon purge (cart ver)
- Sea of Stars

& maybe:

- FF XVI & or FF VII Part II (PS5) if it comes out this year? in the winter?

don't exactly have the money for a ps5 blu ray system & these games or Assories like Black faceplate/black controller etc ATM,

maybe in 2024.

AkiraKurusu

Pokémon's dead
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Eventide was fun for me. A good challenge. Same with the Master Sword trials and other DLC. The stamina meter was fine for me once I got about half of the full meter or so, as I didn't have to worry about running out as much. Lack of map markers? They were there, you just had to place them yourself. The game was based on exploration, like the first Zelda game was. It was on purpose. The art style is fine in my opinion, and far better looking than whatever the fuck "Link's Muddy Easter Adventure" was (Skyward Sword) right after the epic gritty ess of Twilight Princess. (Which had objectively the UGLIEST Link for me).
Eventide and Master Sword Trials were immensely frustrating, as everything you had collected up to that point was temporarily taken away from you, and you were expected to somehow survive against thunderstorms and several tough enemies. Ugh, it was hell.

The stamina gauge forced you to constantly baby it, preventing you from going at full speed all the time, or from climbing mountains and gliding. That's not fun, being artificially limited like that - if they wanted to prevent you from climbing tall mountains at the start of the game, why not require you to obtain a proper item (a 'Mountaineering Kit') from progressing through the game, instead of hoisting such a nuisance gauge on the player?

I've said this before, but I do not count user-placed map markers as helpful, because they're limited to what the player can see, and are not always accurate - if you're nearby something, but your vision is blocked by foliage or terrain, you're not gonna be able to mark it.
Open-world games like this should come with PRE-PLACED markers, markers set down by the devs, so it's impossible to miss the content in the game; the exploration value can come from finding other things whilst travelling to the pre-placed markers.

Art style is subjective, but I personally much prefer Twilight Princess' attempt at realism over this, I can tell ya that.
Post automatically merged:

Anyway...reasons I loathe BotW aside, I'm really looking forward to Spider-Man 2; I've finished both the original Marvel's Spider-Man, and Miles Morales, and they were great games. They both knew how to do (modern) open-worlds right, by not dragging the player down with needless hindrances (no stamina gauge or equipment fragility to be found here!), and pin-pointing where the content can be found with dev-placed map markers, allowing the player to plan how they want to go through their playthrough (just ignore them all in favour of the story, or want to do a certain type first, etc.).

Meanwhile, as you swung you way to a marker, a random crime could generate, providing a chance to detour and do something else instead; thankfully the player only has to do a few crime-bustings per area before that's ticked off and you can safely ignore them if you want.

Combat was also much more fun and fluid, though I admittedly didn't like how enemies would automatically spot you in wave encounters, even if you were perfectly stealthy. The different suit powers were fun to play around with, and every suit variation was cool.

Sure, this is a 'modern' open-world, not pseudo-medieval/set in the past, but this is an open-world game done RIGHT.

Last edited by AkiraKurusu,

halfashark

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
the mmbn compilation.

otherwise, nada. been burned way too many times in the past whenever i've looked forward to a new game. i just ignore them until a week or two after release to check if it's in a playable state before even considering purchasing it.

HellGhast

Trophies
XP
Country
Kenya
Starfield, assuming it ever comes to PlayStation, but if it's gonna be a permanent Xbot exclusive then StarWars Jedi Survivor.

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It's a good list, and I can think of a few other honorable mentions too - obviously though it's an instant vote for TOTK from me..
...No Suicide Squad votes so far?? Why ever not, you cruel people..... :lol:

Clearly though it's looking like a great year for gaming! :D

toolazytosearchitmyself

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Eventide and Master Sword Trials were immensely frustrating, as everything you had collected up to that point was temporarily taken away from you, and you were expected to somehow survive against thunderstorms and several tough enemies. Ugh, it was hell.
The Trials of the Sword were infuriating in Master Mode. Eventide Island was a good challenge and did something different to the rest of the shrine quests.
The stamina gauge forced you to constantly baby it, preventing you from going at full speed all the time, or from climbing mountains and gliding. That's not fun, being artificially limited like that - if they wanted to prevent you from climbing tall mountains at the start of the game, why not require you to obtain a proper item (a 'Mountaineering Kit') from progressing through the game, instead of hoisting such a nuisance gauge on the player?
I agree.
I've said this before, but I do not count user-placed map markers as helpful, because they're limited to what the player can see, and are not always accurate - if you're nearby something, but your vision is blocked by foliage or terrain, you're not gonna be able to mark it.
Open-world games like this should come with PRE-PLACED markers, markers set down by the devs, so it's impossible to miss the content in the game; the exploration value can come from finding other things whilst travelling to the pre-placed markers.
The markers were fine just the way they were. I'd rather explore freely than be overwhelmed by markers.
Art style is subjective, but I personally much prefer Twilight Princess' attempt at realism over this, I can tell ya that.
Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask and Skyward Sword have the best art styles.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I am not really excited for any upcoming game.

I am cursed by Final Fantasy, I will most probably buy FFXVI on release day, and I will then sure abhor it, as it happened with FFXV and FF VII-Remake. I will also get Zelda BOTW2, and I will probably like it... I liked BOTW after all.

But I don't feel any excitement regarding those two... Now, if Metroid Prime 4 were an upcoming release it would be a different story.

krakenx

Trophies
XP
Country
I did not enjoy BOTW and I'm not really looking forward to it's sequal. Hostile to the player is an accurate assessment. The combination of an extremely tiny inventory plus extremely fragile weapons is just cruel. Then tying inventory expansions to hard to find and barely noticeable korok seeds made it even worse. Getting a good weapon was actually punishing because either you would have to waste it on the next goblin encounter, or keeping it would make your inventory even smaller. I never got to enjoy combat because it was always just punishing you. Having 3 hearts the entire game so that I could max stamina and actually get places anytime soon made the combat even more frustrating.

I did enjoy the atmosphere and some of the shrines though. If there is a mod that fixes the durability, stamina and inventory issues, it might be worth another try. However Nier Atomata and Horizon Zero Dawn were so much better and funner to play and released at the same time.

Reactions: AkiraKurusu

toolazytosearchitmyself

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I did not enjoy BOTW and I'm not really looking forward to it's sequal. Hostile to the player is an accurate assessment. The combination of an extremely tiny inventory plus extremely fragile weapons is just cruel. Then tying inventory expansions to hard to find and barely noticeable korok seeds made it even worse. Getting a good weapon was actually punishing because either you would have to waste it on the next goblin encounter, or keeping it would make your inventory even smaller. I never got to enjoy combat because it was always just punishing you. Having 3 hearts the entire game so that I could max stamina and actually get places anytime soon made the combat even more frustrating.

I did enjoy the atmosphere and some of the shrines though. If there is a mod that fixes the durability, stamina and inventory issues, it might be worth another try. However Nier Atomata and Horizon Zero Dawn were so much better and funner to play and released at the same time.
While I have concerns about certain aspects of Tears of the Kingdom, I'm sure Nintendo has listened to the feedback on weapon durability. It's the most criticised aspect of Breath of the Wild.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsG-jJcrlr0