Gaming What Security Measures do you think the Switch Will Have?

elBenyo

Wad of meat.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If Nintendo was smart, they'd not have any USB or SD slots... And learn from the Wii Mini. (Still not hacked)
It is, solder an SD reader slot or a preloaded SD card with letterbomb hacks and you're about normal business, except that 8GB internal storage must be amazing.

elBenyo

Wad of meat.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Think of it like this: Nintendo thinks they get better with security with every console (LOL)
Hacks
Gamecube: Modchip
DSi: Did they even try? Like seriously
Wii: Easiest fucking hack you've ever done
Wii U: A bit harder, but still easily done
3DS: It gets harder every time, but we still manage to do it, don't we?
Switch: To be Continued
GameCube didn't need a mod at all. If you remove the top half of the case you can burn ISO's to blank single layer DVDs and they work. Nintendo's security on the GameCube was that the disc drive spun backwards to prevent ripping. They didn't realize a normal drive made the same ISO.

Last edited by elBenyo,

ihaveahax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Last edited by ihaveahax,
Reactions: elBenyo

evandixon

PMD Researcher
Developer
Trophies
Website
projectpokemon.org
XP
Country
United States
Most of the security flaws on the 3DS were a result of common programming errors, mainly buffer overflows. It's possible Nintendo will design the OS in such a way that buffer overflows don't occur, perhaps raising an exception when one occurs instead of letting it happen and having unsigned code be executed.

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I honestly don't think Nintendo cares that much. They want to make it secure enough that pretty much everybody will buy the games for real, but they won't spend an insane amount of effort making an unhackable system just to go after the small percentage that do. Just going on this site alone, I estimate maybe no more than 1,000 people are actively hacking the Wii U, out of the 13 million systems sold and 90 million games sold. Even if 100,000 people were hacking the Wii U, that would account for only 0.75% of all users and a small fraction of game sales lost.

AlexanderLS

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I honestly don't think Nintendo cares that much. They want to make it secure enough that pretty much everybody will buy the games for real, but they won't spend an insane amount of effort making an unhackable system just to go after the small percentage that do. Just going on this site alone, I estimate maybe no more than 1,000 people are actively hacking the Wii U, out of the 13 million systems sold and 90 million games sold. Even if 100,000 people were hacking the Wii U, that would account for only 0.75% of all users and a small fraction of game sales lost.
^This
It has been pretty much the way of counter piracy measures for as long as they have existed.
Nothing is unbreakable, but they can make it hard/scary enough that the average Joe will be unwilling to risk brick/issues.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
If its Android based like the old rumor, i expect it will rely on things like dm-verify and other built in protections to prevent hacking in addition to some of their own e.g. Cart encryption.

Dm-verify is suppose to protect the system partition from being modified although its not impossible to defeat as has been shown several times.

Id be surprised if they also dont try to either sandbox things more or use newer techniques to reduce vulnerabilities (especially the web browser).

Worst case they could also employ a knox style efuse.

nmkd

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If Nintendo was smart, they'd not have any USB or SD slots... And learn from the Wii Mini. (Still not hacked)
Isn't it confirmed that the Switch has microSD support up to 128GB?

That would be great. A possible way to hack, also we can store a bunch of ISOs there once it's hacked.

The 128 GB limitation is on the software side. The hardware should support up to 2 TB.

//Sent from my glorious OnePlus X

Last edited by nmkd,

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Isn't it confirmed that the Switch has microSD support up to 128GB?

That would be great. A possible way to hack, also we can store a bunch of ISOs there once it's hacked.

The 128 GB limitation is on the software side. The hardware should support up to 2 TB.

//Sent from my glorious OnePlus X
Hopefully the soft limit can be easily bypassed and patched out...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.