Gaming What Security Measures do you think the Switch Will Have?

Urbanshadow

Trophies
XP
Country
I think we can all agree it will come with a system modules min version list as they did in 3DS's 11.0

If I were them, it wouldn't make it differ much from the 3ds. I mean, jokes aside, 3ds has a good protection system. It's just by a bunch of mistakes made that we won. (And that makes me wonder what failures are we facing with the switch)

nmkd

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I think we can all agree it will come with a system modules min version list as they did in 3DS's 11.0

If I were them, it wouldn't make it differ much from the 3ds. I mean, jokes aside, 3ds has a good protection system. It's just by a bunch of mistakes made that we won. (And that makes me wonder what failures are we facing with the switch)
Let's just hope they fuck something up with the browser or SD card.

//Sent from my glorious OnePlus X

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
internet is mandatory, every day the device will automatically download updates without user aknlogedging, user can't do anything, user will not even see the system updating
game cart has a hardware encripted code generator.

what it means? nintendo servers gives you a session code, code is sent to gamecart, gamecart outputs generated code based on current time+server code+gamecard serial
this code is sent to nintendo, which streams game to you. you get no game data. only video, your button presses are sent to nintendo servers. basically you are remote playing a game woking on nintendo servers

game cart chips are so nano and small you require thousans of dollars to tear down the chips and reverse engineer it.

ihaveahax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
internet is mandatory
for a portable device this will kill it on day one.
every day the device will automatically download updates without user aknlogedging, user can't do anything, user will not even see the system updating
I'm pretty sure this is illegal. at least in Europe.
nintendo servers gives you a session code, code is sent to gamecart, gamecart outputs generated code based on current time+server code+gamecard serial
this code is sent to nintendo, which streams game to you.
unless Nintendo gives everyone free 4G LTE or whatever plans for life, this makes games impossible or very hard to play on a portable device.

Deleted member 333767

Trophies
XP
I think it will have security that appeared to be a formidable challenge for homebrew devs to overcome, but as a couple of years passed it would become the most violated electronic device in history.... Wait a minute, where have i heard before.... :unsure:

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I will let you guys in on a bit of insider knowledge from the staff room. You know, since I like you.

Costello truly believed that the 3DS/WiiU generation was going to be devoid of hacks. And for a while (until 4.5) he was right. And eventually we got the WiiU cracked and even more recently, the Vita. The reason I tell you this isn't so you get a poo poo attitude about Costy, he's a great headmaster. But I tell you this because its you guys that make this site possible. I want you to hit the ground running when the NSwitch comes out! :bortz:

nmkd

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Little question:

Is it possible to set up a local network (like a wifi hotspot) that redirects the update to a "hack update" (for example, dl.nintendo.com/update.zip to mydomain.com/hack.zip), so the Switch installs a hack instead of an update? (As long as there is no MD5 check etc)

Might sound a bit ridiculous but it's just an idea.

//Sent from my glorious OnePlus X

Last edited by nmkd,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, Thats pretty cool.