Hacking What, realistically, do you think the Wii is still capable of, but hasn't yet been realized?

GameGeek

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I would love to see a far more powerful Home Menu that would replace the official one in games and proved with features such as:
-Screenshotting
-A memory viewer, editor and dumper
-Current date and time
-Cheat code management
-Savegame backupping and management (ala SaveGame Manager GX)
-Maybe even a savestate feature

A way I see this as doable is coding a universal Home Menu replacement, then USB Loaders would implement a feature for patching the HM files of games on the fly ala Riivolution, replacing it with the custom one, that way we wouldn't have to manually edit each game image with WiiScrubber. Anyway, this new HM would be programmed to load apps specifically programmed for it from SD or USB. It could display all available apps as icons in a grid or a list ala the HBC, and let the user select whichever they want to run. This way it wouldn't have to be all coded by a single person; people would be able to extend its functionality by coding apps specifically written for it that would provide with different functions meant to be used while a game is paused.

So it would be basically like the HBC, except that it would be run while playing games, thus providing with pseudo-multitasking while at the same time making features that the HBC isn't able to provide such as game screencapping and savestates possible.

nakata6790

True Player
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Some nice ideas here :)
Anyway, personal wishlist:

1- A Not64 update
2- A WiiSX update that saves the control configs and fixes audio streaming in some games.
3- Dios Mios that works on most HDDs and maybe fixes audio streaming.
4- A Quake 2 emu that uses the fantastic controls of QuakeGX instead of the really bad ones in Qrevpak.

Those are my top 4.

Reactions: FullMetalEngineer

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
I would love to see a far more powerful Home Menu that would replace the official one in games and proved with features such as:
-Screenshotting
-A memory viewer, editor and dumper
-Current date and time
-Cheat code management
-Savegame backupping and management (ala SaveGame Manager GX)
-Maybe even a savestate feature

A way I see this as doable is coding a universal Home Menu replacement, then USB Loaders would implement a feature for patching the HM files of games on the fly ala Riivolution, replacing it with the custom one, that way we wouldn't have to manually edit each game image with WiiScrubber. Anyway, this new HM would be programmed to load apps specifically programmed for it from SD or USB. It could display all available apps as icons in a grid or a list ala the HBC, and let the user select whichever they want to run. This way it wouldn't have to be all coded by a single person; people would be able to extend its functionality by coding apps specifically written for it that would provide with different functions meant to be used while a game is paused.

So it would be basically like the HBC, except that it would be run while playing games, thus providing with pseudo-multitasking while at the same time making features that the HBC isn't able to provide such as game screencapping and savestates possible.
http://hackmii.com/2009/02/why-the-wii-will-never-get-any-better/
Wii uses no OS, so lots of that stuff would need really complex workarounds.

duffmmann

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

1- A Not64 update
2- A WiiSX update that saves the control configs and fixes audio streaming in some games.
4- A Quake 2 emu that uses the fantastic controls of QuakeGX instead of the really bad ones in Qrevpak.

Those are my top 4.

It does, make sure you have the right kind of usb cable though. I seriously had a Seagate Hard Drive with a USB 3.0/2.0 cable that seemed like it didn't work at all. I downgraded the cable to a strictly USB 2.0 cable, and that was actually the solution. I think this may indeed be the problem with most (if not all) cases of HDDs not working with Dios Mios.

Reactions: nakata6790

GameGeek

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
I know that. What I'm suggesting is replacing the Home Menu with a new one by replacing its files. The new code would be run from the games just like the the current HM, thus no OS would be needed.
Er, games don't use any parts of the home/system menu. Each Wii game literally includes the graphics and code for the home menu to give the impression of it actually running under something else.

boomario

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
A at least 99% gamecube games working fine with NMM, running from HDD/SD with audio streaming, wiimote/classic controller support and sh*t.

nakata6790

True Player
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Hopefully, that's when Wii U steps in the future... Imagine if Excite Truck was patched to support custom soundtracks off an HCSD card for example.

It does, make sure you have the right kind of usb cable though. I seriously had a Seagate Hard Drive with a USB 3.0/2.0 cable that seemed like it didn't work at all. I downgraded the cable to a strictly USB 2.0 cable, and that was actually the solution. I think this may indeed be the problem with most (if not all) cases of HDDs not working with Dios Mios.

Hm, interesting. Can you please take a look at this post here:
http://gbatemp.net/threads/post-the...sed-with-dios-mios.344522/page-3#post-4643155
Do you have any suggestions for the second HDD that refuses to work with DM, unlike the first one does? Thanks in advance

GameGeek

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Er, games don't use any parts of the home/system menu. Each Wii game literally includes the graphics and code for the home menu to give the impression of it actually running under something else.
I'm aware of that as well, hence I suggested USB Loaders patching games on the fly. Whenever the user loads a game, the loader would replace the HM files in the game's image with custom ones.

duffmmann

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hopefully, that's when Wii U steps in the future... Imagine if Excite Truck was patched to support custom soundtracks off an HCSD card for example.

Hm, interesting. Can you please take a look at this post here:
http://gbatemp.net/threads/post-the...sed-with-dios-mios.344522/page-3#post-4643155
Do you have any suggestions for the second HDD that refuses to work with DM, unlike the first one does? Thanks in advance

Well based on that image it has a usb cable thats one of the USB 2.0/3.0 varities. Now granted, many HDDs can work with this cable for Dios Mios (I also have a toshiba drive with this kind of cord and it works no problem). If that HDD is not working for you, I would suggest tracking down a cord for it thats strictly USB 2.0. I'd say chances are this would get it working. This seems to be a little known issue, and I want it to be more well known that yes, the cord can be a cause of issue with Dios Mios not working at all.

Reactions: nakata6790

w!!

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How about an Android OS or emulator for the Wii?? Download and run apps from the app stores... Use the Wii remotes/nunchucks like your finger/mouse and input. We had Wii Linux, GeekBox, now how about Android Wii?? :)

FullMetalEngineer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

1- A Not64 update

Those are my top 4.
^^ This, I know DM should get audio streaming fix some day... Wii64 team apparently have a newer build in the works for the past 3 years :wtf:...
However, I really wish WiiSX got the most attention, there isn't much talk about it from the team who built it which is kind of sad.. It has the largest library and basic improvements like saving controller config which might take under an hour of coding would be HUGE..

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In other words, what homebrew would you like to see that haven't seen yet on the Wii that you think it could possibly have.

I think this could make for a good list of ideas/inspiration for any homebrew developer's out there looking for a new project.

Here are my thoughts:

realistic/happening:

Not/Wii64 improvements - I see this is already happening, whether or not EmuKidd ever makes another official new release of the Wii64, I see Extrems has done a fantastic job with his Not64 updates. Its still not perfect, but compatability and speeds are getting substantially better, many many games are playable, and I think as long as people like them keep working on it, it will only get better.

seems realistic, why isn't it happening?:

Genplus GX - 32x support. I know that this isn't an easy thing to do, but surely the Wii should be capable of running 32x games. The google code issues page reads: issue priority: low, status: standby (no one has taken the task, waiting to be taken). On January 26th, 2010, the project manager ekeeke31 state:
32x hardware would need to be emulated first, which is not an easy task considering
everything would need to be done from scratch or quite.
Also, it's very unlikely the Wii processor is fast enough to run Genesis + 32x add-on
at full speed. The two SH2 processors that need to be emulated are probably overkill
which mean the code would also need to be VERY optimized.
However, I leave this feature open as this project can easily be ported to other
platforms as well (including PC) and adding 32x emulation to this project is a nice
challenge. Don't expect anything to happen until a very long time though, in short
words, it's very unlikely you will ever play 32x games on your Wii.
seems like its a challenge but doable, questionably so for the Wii, but again, could be a challenge. However, more recently, in January of this year, ekeeke said:
Even if WiiU homebrew is possible someday (which would probably require a new devkit and support libraries, which is not as "simple" as the move from gc to wii homebrew), i don't have a WiiU and do not plan to get one so it doesn't really change anything.
Also, target performance is not really the main factor, this emulator is portable and 32x could benefits to other platform including PC as well. Writing a 32x emulator requires lot of work and i simply do not have the time and motivation to do it.
If this were ever to get done it would have to be by someone who knows what they're doing and its not going to be ekeeke.

Questionably Realistic, not holding my breath:

DesMume - improved to be playable at decent speeds at at least a few games.

I should know this to be unrealistic, yet some how I can't dismiss the possibility:

Yabuse - running at a playable speed.

Dreamcast - supposedly someone started work on a Dreamcast emulator a few years ago, he probably failed, still I can't help but think that it could be possible.

The better question would be if the 32x is even worth the effort in the first place. Looking at the games list right now, I don't see a single worthwhile game that you can't play elsewhere. At least Sega cd had Sonic.

duffmmann

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The better question would be if the 32x is even worth the effort in the first place. Looking at the games list right now, I don't see a single worthwhile game that you can't play elsewhere. At least Sega cd had Sonic.

Well I loved Knuckles Chaotix, so for me that would be the reason to make 32X playable.

Disorarara

Trophies
XP
Country
Apparently, realistically the Wii could communicate with the WiiU gamepad. Also stereoscopic 3D is also supposed to be realistically possible. Nobody is ever going to research into either of those things.

kehkou

does what Nintendon't
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A decent flight simulator - the only console with controles primed for flight sims.
External optical drive support in WiiMC - for CD's and DVD's
Disc channel hider/remover
System menu extention (more pages)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIpfWORQWhU