What Programming Language do I need to learn to make games?

Gizametalman

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Hi all.
Uh, I've been learning C# in UNITY. Unity is a great tool, you can use C# and JavaScript AND Boo in order to make games for almost any modern device.
And I was thinking about something today... while playing Super Smash Bros 64.
When I got to fight against Samus, I was thinking about how come Nintendo did not made a Metroid game for the N64. I mean, the fight against Samus in Brinstar (Smash 64) looks amazing. And I was wondering, if I could... make a Metroid game from scratch.
Must say that my programming knowledge is not very vast :shy: I can barely make platforms, object collition and programming key controls... ugh, so much to learn.
But nevermind, since I'm still learning, I questioned about what type of Programming Language did Nintendo used to program their games.
Did they used C? or C#?
And yes, I know that C# is very different than C.
That's a question I've been wondering for quite a long time. And because of that question, I made the decision to learn how to code games.
:D
Regards!

Reactions: raystriker

deisuke1234

Trophies
XP
Country
i would say both of them since from what i know opengl and other graphic developing uses libary from C and C#. Not a pro but this is what i think at least.

Gizametalman

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I already said that I don't have a vast knowledge... so, for Instance... If I ever get to make a Metroid 64 game... do I require something else aside C pr C# in order to make the ROM work with N64 emulators? Like Project64 and Not64 (Wii)?

44100hz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo has used primarily assembly, C, and C++ in coding their games. Though, depends on your goals here.

Personally, I recommend learning C just for the sake of knowing it. You'll also find largely that no matter what language you use, there's a way to make a game in it.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Honestly, I would strongly recommend against trying to make an N64 game from scratch. You can still attempt to make an N64-styled Metroid game with appropriately low polygon counts in Unity and it would be a million times easier.

Reactions: Deleted User

Gizametalman

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Honestly, I would strongly recommend against trying to make an N64 game from scratch. You can still attempt to make an N64-styled Metroid game with appropriately low polygon counts in Unity and it would be a million times easier.

Of course. It's gonna be a lot easier, that's for sure.
But I was just wondering... Still have a lot to learn, so right now are just ideas floating in the... air?

Gizametalman

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I first started with JavaScript... then moved on to Java and now C# because of Unity, and planning to learn Ruby on Rails.
I'm starting with those 4 first... and after that I'm moving to the other C's and Python.

@nlxx Thank you, that's amazing!

D

Deleted User

C/C++ for using Nintendo's SDK for good shit; C# for Unity to make Unity projects, HTML+CSS+JS to use Nintendo Web Framework.

raystriker

The powers that be
Trophies
XP
Country
India
I wanna be a game programmer too, someday hopefully. But for now, I'm made to learn good coding habits in my university :rofl2: I'm learning Racket, a sort of 'distro' of Scheme. We're learning to make many 2D games but nothing too special, all just develop out concepts for the time being.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I heard a new term today related to Cali, thought was funny, "California Sober" lol
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    ROFL LMAO
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I hurt ancientbois feelings
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You wouldn't remove your teeth?
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    But his mouth is stuck on your meat
    +2
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    AN SOFA
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I had a power nap woke up with so much gas it's awesome
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    holy shit why do i have 19 notifications?!
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    AND WHY ARE SOME OF THEM BUNDLED UP REACTIONS TO POSTS?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Cause I maybe, maybe clicked like a few times.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You're as loved as much as Juan now enjoy it
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm sorry for the insult
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    the difference is i like wario and samus and he likes muscle mommies and feet
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    wait, i forgot wizards too
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I have a buddy that has a moonshine still and he makes his own shine. He brought me a jar of some peach shine/brandy, shit is damn good. Gonna have to see if can get more.
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    careful that shit don't make you go blind
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh that's only if you drink what first comes out when distilling, you must throw out the first part of it when it starts running. (Its called the "head(s)" of the run) Or use it for fuel or a general purpose cleaner
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If alcohol would've made @BigOnYa blind by now it would have
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    So True.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I should make a poll for bigonya to change his username to DrunkOnYa
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That's my alt
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I don't wanna go to the store someone go for me
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Call my wifey, tell her pick up stuff on her way over.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Pick up my door dash meat me in the allyway
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Wifey is busy, so ill send my buddy @AncientBoi , in his gimp outfit. "who ordered the 6" sausage?""
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Wifey is busy, so ill send my buddy @AncientBoi , in his gimp outfit. "who ordered the 6" sausage?""