Best programming language for beginners to learn?

Dr_Faustus

Resident Robot Hoarder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know its a bit meme-y posting it here, but I think its relevant none the less.

h3ziqig1uakz.jpg

Tomato123

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
My choice from the list is Python. Fast to do some simple stuff and can get complex if you need it to.

However, if I were to pick one not in the list, Lua is a fun language which can do more than people realise. Easy and fun to learn with games like Roblox and Garry's Mod implementing it.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Re: Lua.
I will also note many speedrunning and emulators in general use it.

https://fceux.com/web/help/LuaFunctionsList.html is what most want to be when they grow up as far as lua sporting emulators, though some do have subtly different interpretations (some of the arcade stuff most notably).

There are versions for the DS as well that at one point housed notably homebrew scenes of their own -- plenty of other languages got interpreters/compilers made for the DS but none of those got any kind of notable sub section of the scene using them, Lua on the other hand had some good stuff spread over a couple of the interpreters.

For an example emulator script using it then I usually point at
https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=18717.0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/b2kuma6zs89di8n/Metroid.lua
It is pretty clean to read, has some nice bounds checking to ponder, does some stuff that would be enormously difficult to do as a conventional ROM hack including fancy graphical results... nice little learning tool as a result.

Deleted member 546149

OP
Trophies
XP
Hey everyone, I just started a Python class today and I'm really grateful for all the responses.

https://fceux.com/web/help/LuaFunctionsList.html is what most want to be when they grow up as far as lua sporting emulators, though some do have subtly different interpretations (some of the arcade stuff most notably).

There are versions for the DS as well that at one point housed notably homebrew scenes of their own -- plenty of other languages got interpreters/compilers made for the DS but none of those got any kind of notable sub section of the scene using them, Lua on the other hand had some good stuff spread over a couple of the interpreters.

It is pretty clean to read, has some nice bounds checking to ponder, does some stuff that would be enormously difficult to do as a conventional ROM hack including fancy graphical results... nice little learning tool as a result.
I'll do it if it get's bigger

Reactions: cearp

aoikurayami

dysfunctionally intimidating
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania

Don't forget
* YGOPro \ Edopro Simulators (9000+ cards, with a ruleset rivaling mtg)
* Flight Simulators (also uses lua according to Tom Scott afaicr..)

Good stuff.

I like "clean to read".
Some programmers should be forced to figure out their own code years later.
Until they comment their c###

(wait a minute... this would fit right here ...)

"If it's hard to program, it should be hard to underst-" is just a super lame excuse.

Everyone benefits from readability...

As for "BEST" programming language, it is a use case thing.
You wouldn't use a spoon to cut a steak, now would you ?

I personally love JS (how cool),
but Java can burn in the next best purgatory imo.
Bloated, spits more errors than your last math exam and is generally only useful for cross platform implementation and android programming - I think.

Then again expect not much of me.
I glue things together with duct tape.

Last edited by aoikurayami,

Luke94

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Could it be C++,C#,C,Objective,Turbo Pascal,Unreal Script,Lua Script,Java,Java Script,Python,Max Script? Would Jazz Jackrabbit 3D/Unreal Editor 1.0 require Unreal Script and C++ fix Classes? Solve this issue/problem? Which one programming language should I learn myself first? XNA? HTML,CSS,PHP?

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Could it be C++,C#,C,Objective,Turbo Pascal,Unreal Script,Lua Script,Java,Java Script,Python,Max Script? Would Jazz Jackrabbit 3D/Unreal Editor 1.0 require Unreal Script and C++ fix Classes? Solve this issue/problem? Which one programming language should I learn myself first? XNA? HTML,CSS,PHP?
Read above my post.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Don't learn a language, learn the method: Algorithms.
From where I sit that is the equivalent of having to sit there chanting verb tables in language classes. It might do you some good at some level, and I would certainly encourage learning about time and complexity as it pertains to them (about an hour or so watching a video if you wanted), but ultimately will not leave with any fondness for the subject while others might have learned some practical stuff and got things done. Indeed I might go one further and say if you are going to learn maths for the sake of it then learn basic matrix and vector maths as at least that will apply if you want to play with 3d graphics or games.
I don't normally like a lot of what this guy does but this works and introduces most concepts quite nicely (that is to say without you realising you are learning about them) such that you could go off and learn more if you cared.

Alternatively. We better do the usual algorithm types meet and end up in a fight.
*throws down gauntlet*
Bubble sort is a legit means of sorting things.

Reactions: SylverReZ

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It seems to me that C++ is the easiest to start with, although my classes started with Python, so the choice is more up to you.
C++ seems to be a bit more complex in my opinion, I'd first start with C before moving onto that. Python on the other hand is very simplistic to use.

Reactions: Harry579Clark

lwiz

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
If Java had real garbage collector, there would be no Java nor Java programs.

C, C++ and assembly teach probably the best programming habits, but need quite a lot more code (usually) for final product. Python and C# are good languages to start with at the moment (C# is used mainly in Unity).

Pk11

A catgirl with a DSi
Trophies
Website
pk11.us
XP
Country
United States
C++ seems to be a bit more complex in my opinion, I'd first start with C before moving onto that. Python on the other hand is very simplistic to use.
I've seen good arguments for both C and C++ before the other, my personal opinion is that C++ is basically just C but easier, just save the weird stuff like templates for later (if ever) and you can just have C but std::string and std::vector

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    realtimesave @ realtimesave: they need to have a strong line up on the launch titles too. I think they should move metroid...