Are you interested in Programming or just Gaming?

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Kinda curious, was asking to myself this question because every now and then I see threads in the Wii Forum about programming for the Wii.

And I'm thinking that, I'm intetested in learning code/programming because of games. I've always wanted to know how and why things works and for games, that includes the program.

For years I've been trying to teach myself how to, and it's something I've tackled with Godot and the intuitively easy to learn GDScript and C#.

And here I'm asking to you: Are you also interested in code/programming?
Is it because of games? Is it out of curiosity? Do you like it? Would you like to learn?

A kinda relevant video:

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I did programming at university as a part of a Games Dev degree. I say a part of, it was basically just a degree in applied C++ programming. Despite having such a specific degree, I don't think I'd really want to work in games dev. Doesn't seem like a particularly happy industry, though I imagine the experience varies vastly from place to place.

I do embedded software engineering now though, which is just programming for random things. Very fun job.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Largely self taught on this computers and programming lark (university technically taught some things, most of it I knew already and while it was in some ways a good foundation you did not have to truly grasp the material in the same way a dedicated computer science type would have or you had to understand forces and maths).

Code is something of a means to an end but I do like pulling things apart and seeing neat things done.

MoshpitWorkout

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I really like programming. I got into it to make games and even though I ended up doing basic-ass web development at my job I program random stuff all the time. I've made games, game engines, mobile apps, desktop apps, web sites, video processing pipelines, and lots of random small stuff for my own use.

I really like how it allows me to make things that are specific to my own needs. My personal website is built using a static site generator that I made myself because all the others seemed too heavy-duty for me.... which was probably just an excuse I used to justify making it in the first place.

Also, knowing about the technology behind games (not just programming) has made me appreciate them a lot more. I can sometimes get distracted from the actual game by trying to understand how something was accomplished, but it doesn't make it any less fun.

Maximumbeans

3DS is love, 3DS is life
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'd love to learn programming but I already have so many plates spinning that another time sink would be the end of me :rofl2: my wife would tear my arse to shreds if I told her I'm going to learn games programming, and rightly so.

So, just gaming for me. Doing homebrew stuff (despite following very specific and simple instructions to do so) makes me feel like enough of a hackerman to satisfy me B-)

Reactions: SylverReZ

boot3

Internet trash
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Both. I'm a bit more of a gamer than a programmer though, it's certainly something that interests me and I've been meaning to learn how to develop Wii homebrew, but I know for a fact that I'm definitely not a programmer by nature lol.

amusingmuse22

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Gaming.
I wanted to try programming once after hearing Kojima explain how he envisioned the levels of the first MGS game after making physical matrixes for them using lego blocks, but I'm just not cut out for that, fat too complex for me...

Sammi12

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
India
Only gaming. I completed my B.Tech from Computer Science, and still don't know any programming language.:rofl:
Only gaming is enough for me. No interest in programming. Don't know why i picked CSE in college.:sleep:

DragonMals

6th-7th Gen Retro Gaming Entusiast
Trophies
Country
United States
While I've been fascinated by the programming side of video games and technology itself, I'm more into the gaming rather than the programming.

Actually... I'm more into both. I'm working on my own Indie game, and I look at the history of video game consoles and they were made with programming being one of the few things that I'm always look into.

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I'd like me to learn some how to program, but whenever I look up any of that stuff, it's like Japanese for me, I understand nuthing of it.
But I do am familiar with how, like, games work internally, I guess. Just got no clue at all when it comes to coding anything.

I'm more of a, like, graphics guy, I guess. Can do 2d art/sprites, wanna learn to do like PS1-like 3d models, but that's it. Guess could also write too shrug
Suppose I fit more in the "just gaming" category.

DragonMals

Trophies
Country
United States
I'd like me to learn some how to program, but whenever I look up any of that stuff, it's like Japanese for me, I understand nuthing of it.
But I do am familiar with how, like, games work internally, I guess. Just got no clue at all when it comes to coding anything.

I'm more of a, like, graphics guy, I guess. Can do 2d art/sprites, wanna learn to do like PS1-like 3d models, but that's it. Guess could also write too shrug
Suppose I fit more in the "just gaming" category.

Almost the same thing as my brother actually. Outside that I think he knows some tid bits of the programming but doesn't know how to use it. Take this with a grain of salt though as I don't like assuming other people's knowledge on stuff.

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Almost the same thing as my brother actually. Outside that I think he knows some tid bits of the programming but doesn't know how to use it. Take this with a grain of salt though as I don't like assuming other people's knowledge on stuff.
Oh lol, I have been playing games for 20+ years, that plus some knowledge of RPG Maker and seeing vids online explaining about various games mechanics and tech and stuff, like, gave me a decent idea on how most things in games work, just, wouldn't know how to code anything, heh. I guess could perhaps do something with RPG Maker's events system, variables and such, but that's like basically code already done for you, I guess, lol.

DragonMals

Trophies
Country
United States
Oh lol, I have been playing games for 20+ years, that plus some knowledge of RPG Maker and seeing vids online explaining about various games mechanics and tech and stuff, like, gave me a decent idea on how most things in games work, just, wouldn't know how to code anything, heh. I guess could perhaps do something with RPG Maker's events system, variables and such, but that's like basically code already done for you, I guess, lol.

I wish I can get to know that one... I have the software for MV but never touched it!

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been wanting to learn to program since I was a kid, because I've always wanted to make my own video game. I've been trying to learn for just about 30 years now and I always reach a point where the lesson goes over my head. Just a few months ago I started C++ lessons on learncpp (again!) and got like 10 chapters in (out of what looks like over 100 iirc) before it started to get too complicated for me. I'm sure if I was patient and looked at supplemental resources, I could figure it out, but I lack patience these days.

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I wish I can get to know that one... I have the software for MV but never touched it!
Well, myself I have started way back when the newest version of that program was... VX? I think? Or maybe even before that one, lol
I've tried many times to do like various projects on my own, but well, aside that making a game by yourself is a MASSIVE task that needs a hella lot of effort... I am a bit of a lazy bastard too, lol.
I've always ended up losing steam then just giving up on whatever idea I had floating in my dumb mind.
I would like to try to make at least one completed game before I kick the bucket, mh.

Regarding learning how RPG Maker works and such, myself I kinda learned some of the more complicated stuff by like looking into the code of other games made with said program, heh.
I tend to snoop into game's resources, mostly to like get graphics or what, usually with RPG Maker to, like, say there's a scene I want to see but it's coded to happen only when you've done X thing, I just change what X should be so I can see said scene right from the get go, lol.

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you have a technical brain, trying to make a game is a wonderful way to learn programming.

Professionally, I am a software guy for a product you have (probably) used, and I would never get into professional game programming. Too much effort for the payoff (IMO).

AncientBoi

THEE GAY WARLORD™ - Defender of GAY Rights
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto