What makes Linux OS so good?

D

Deleted User

So, you're saying use linux to fix Windows? :P
You can't fix most stuff from Windows itself, you have to boot another OS to fix it.
That's where Linux is useful since it's easy to create a bootable pendrive. [Unless you want to make your life complicated and make Win10 pendrive]

TVL

#|
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Well, not sure about that.
Though you can perfectly program and develop C# and VB on Linux, even with official Microsoft support through Mono/Xamarin and Visual Studio Code, I don't normally develop in C#.
The biggest part of my daily work is done in C++, with some Python and Java here and there, that is what I end up dealing with at work anyway.
I can't tell much more about other usages of computers, I mostly use them for work (Windows, Linux) or at home for daily activities, browsing internet, movies, music, and more programming (macOS in this case). I don't play games in computers (except some indies) and I don't use them for much else lately because I am a bit tired of them (burnout) to be honest, it wasn't like that when I was younger.
I can completely understand though, if you wanted to use your computer for gaming Windows is a much better option than any of the other OSes.

To be completely honest, nonetheless, regarding the "programming" use case I find Unix based environments (Linux and macOS) way more comfortable for programming, version control, management of projects, etc. That is from my experience.

PS: And regarding the "now we are up to...", take a look at my position and my previous posts on this thread, I've stated every OS has pros and contras and a field of application where they work better, I think you should go with one according the field of application you are up to, and I think this should be in any case discussed rationally. I hate the fanboyism displayed by some users before in this thread, because they can't be objective and talk about things without resorting to emotion and hooligan-like screaming.

I could code on any OS, for my purposes it would be the same, there are other software that goes hand in hand with my coding that I don't want to be without however. But I was still interested in knowing what makes coding under Linux better; just because I've heard it before, and never understood why that would be.

Hope my posts didn't come off as what you are describing. I'm glad if people find something that suits them the best and that they are happy with.

Pacheko17

Controversial opinions guy.
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Let's not forget installing drivers for a USB device for every fucking USB port on Windoze(r).

Definetly, oh my god it's so damn annoying.
I've had more luck with the goddamn PSP drivers on Linux than on Windows, and I'm pretty sure they weren't meant to work on Linux.

I just plugged it in and it worked! While on Windows I had to look on all corners of the internet for it.

BullyWiiPlaza

Nintendo Hacking <3
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
@BullyWiiPlaza C? Outdated?

Give me proof.
What does C being "outdated" (which it isn't) have anything to do with Linux?
Almost all Linux software in written in it, hence the common "segmentation fault" errors because of lazy incompetent open source developers who can't fix memory access violations in the code. This typically never happens on decent Windows software (the equivalent is the stopped working dialog). C is outdated because mistakes can be very painful to correct without exception support, no object orientation and no type safety to name a few.

Plus, here is the opinion of the C++ inventor Bjarne Stroustrup as "actual" proof:

Incidentally, since you claim all open-source software "sucks", care to tell me what's wrong with my ROM Properties Page shell extension? (Oh, and it runs on Windows too!)
Most, not all. But mainly if there are proprietary alternatives. I'm sure your extension works fine considering the amount of work put into it and it's a fairly simple functionality to read ROM properties.
Also I like how you think Java of all languages is superior to C, especially since Java is known for having clunky GUIs and using tons of memory for seemingly no reason.
Java is generally "superior" to C for "usual" applications because it's a "modern" language. Clunky GUIs? Did you check the one I made? If not, well, C doesn't typically use any GUI so there's that. It's true that Java uses more memory "for seemingly no reason" but it can be optimized by using primitive types instead of objects. We have enough RAM in 2017 to store type-safety information in addition to the data. It does not matter most of the time but C has an edge over Java in this case.
If you have a problem with such a simple task, how is even windows easy for you?
It's called an inconvenience that wastes time and plus I'm a developer. Enough said about my ability to do "average" computer things so no need to be disrespectful.
I had no idea people still tried to fit square blocks into round holes. Does baby need to be wiped too? I guess Linux is super duper tough to figure out, huh?

Anyway, people fail to realize that Linux should be mainly used for production. If you're a casual consumer then stick to Windows. Customization and aesthetics should not be the selling point at all.
No, it's easy. You just agreed with me but insulted, nice job. Plus, Linux is the one trying to "sell with customization", not Windows but I'm not sure how you meant that.

Last edited by BullyWiiPlaza,
Reactions: Deleted User

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I've been an exclusive user of Linux and BSD for well over 11 years now. Personally I've always enjoyed just having a level of control over my OS that you can't find with Windows. Coupled with the deep customization that Linux grants me, considering I literally edit everything down to the kernel.
Linux isn't for everyone, but personally I personally don't think Windows is for everyone either.

Reactions: hobbledehoy899
D

Deleted User

It's safer than windows since the os's kernel is safe so you can run a tor browser through it with a VPN.It also allows more os customization.

Windows on the otherhand is the better os for gaming such as running steam games and taking full advantage of your pc's hardware.

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Linux provides everything the user need, something any other OS can say. If a feature is not installed, we can get it from the repos and start using them. It can be somewhat complicated for an average user (one that is used to click on YES, Continue, Accept) without worrying on what's happening under the hood. But it becomes a great OS on the right hands, ones that are willing to learn and do things in a lower level, understading how and why it does like that. And one that's up to take the time to learn something new in the process.

I use both, Windows and Linux.

Reactions: Luglige

Luglige

hiatus
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Almost all Linux software in written in it, hence the common "segmentation fault" errors because of lazy incompetent open source developers who can't fix memory access violations in the code. This typically never happens on decent Windows software (the equivalent is the stopped working dialog). C is outdated because mistakes can be very painful to correct without exception support, no object orientation and no type safety to name a few.

Plus, here is the opinion of the C++ inventor Bjarne Stroustrup as "actual" proof:

Most, not all. But mainly if there are proprietary alternatives. I'm sure your extension works fine considering the amount of work put into it and it's a fairly simple functionality to read ROM properties.

Java is generally "superior" to C for "usual" applications because it's a "modern" language. Clunky GUIs? Did you check the one I made? If not, well, C doesn't typically use any GUI so there's that. It's true that Java uses more memory "for seemingly no reason" but it can be optimized by using primitive types instead of objects. We have enough RAM in 2017 to store type-safety information in addition to the data. It does not matter most of the time but C has an edge over Java in this case.

It's called an inconvenience that wastes time and plus I'm a developer. Enough said about my ability to do "average" computer things so no need to be disrespectful.

No, it's easy. You just agreed with me but insulted, nice job. Plus, Linux is the one trying to "sell with customization", not Windows but I'm not sure how you meant that.

@BullyWiiPlaza
Mr. you just got blocked, I hear you're very annoying :P

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Almost all Linux software in written in it, hence the common "segmentation fault" errors because of lazy incompetent open source developers who can't fix memory access violations in the code.
Please explain how segmentation fault is any different from a Windows program crashing with an illegal operation or similar.

Also, most Windows software is written in C++, so you're not helping your argument by claiming Linux is bad because C/C++.

Java is generally "superior" to C for "usual" applications because it's a "modern" language. Clunky GUIs? Did you check the one I made? If not, well, C doesn't typically use any GUI so there's that.
The entire Windows GUI has a C API and is written in C and C++. There's also Qt, a cross-platform C++ GUI framework. Never mind the numerous homebrew applications for Wii that obviously have GUIs, yet are written in C/C++, e.g. USB Loader GX.

And no, I'm not going to run any of your software because it's probably buggy as shit and/or has malware. That, and nothing you've written looks like it's worth using. (Why'd you write a utility that basically duplicates bin2h when you think C is an "obsolete" language, anyway?)

EDIT:

I'm sure your extension works fine considering the amount of work put into it and it's a fairly simple functionality to read ROM properties.
If it's so simple, why don't you prove me wrong and make your own version in Java? Caveat: Simply showing the property fields in your own window is not what my extension does. It integrated into Windows Explorer and provides thumbnail previews as well as properties in Explorer's own file dialog.

Try something simple, say, Nintendo DS ROMs. Let me know when you've got a shell extension written in Java that provides thumbnail info and a property page.

Last edited by GerbilSoft,

BullyWiiPlaza

Nintendo Hacking <3
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Please explain how segmentation fault is any different from a Windows program crashing with an illegal operation or similar.

Also, most Windows software is written in C++, so you're not helping your argument by claiming Linux is bad because C/C++.
Linux software crashes far more often hence it's bad because of relying on mainly C which is old and unstable. Most Linux developers are still stuck in the past because the spirit is writing terminal-based software. On Windows you have much more C# with GUIs and other more modern languages used for applications which works out better for stability and the user. That's why.
And no, I'm not going to run any of your software because it's probably buggy as shit and/or has malware. That, and nothing you've written looks like it's worth using, anyway. (Why'd you write a utility that basically duplicates bin2h when you think C is an "obsolete" language, anyway?)
Buggy? You're randomly hating because you're mad. I have a degree in computer science so I know how to develop software. Plus, how is open source supposed to have malware? lmao. The only non open source one is JGecko U but it doesn't have malware. You also forked 95% of your projects, talking about usefulness. 1000s of people use my tools unlike yours.
The entire Windows GUI has a C API and is written in C and C++. There's also Qt, a cross-platform C++ GUI framework. Never mind the numerous homebrew applications for Wii that obviously have GUIs, yet are written in C/C++, e.g. USB Loader GX.
C programmers almost never write GUIs and you know that so just accept it the way things go. There is no alternative on Wii so of course people would write GUIs. Stop being ignorant. Nobody chooses to use C and write a GUI when they have a vast amount of other languages available.

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Linux software crashes far more often hence it's bad because of relying on mainly C which is old and unstable. Most developers are still stuck in the past. On Windows you have much more C# and other more modern languages used for applications which works out better. That's why.

Buggy? I have a degree in computer science so I know how to develop software. Plus, how is open source supposed to have malware? lmao. The only non open source one is JGecko U but it doesn't have malware. You also forked 95% of your projects, talking about usefulness. 1000s of people use my tools unlike yours.

C programmers almost never write GUIs and you know that so just accept it the way things go. There is no alternative on Wii so of course people would write GUIs. Stop being ignorant. Nobody chooses to use C and write a GUI when they have a vast amount of other languages available.
Oh wow, a CS degree. That makes me respect you even less.

Most of my "forks" are local repositories where I write my own changes and then submit them back upstream. Have you ever submitted anything to a major project?

And I highly doubt "thousands" of people have used your crap.

And finally, in my experience, Linux software crashes a good deal less than Windows software does, but that doesn't matter because you have a CS degree, right? (For what it's worth, I have a Computer Engineering degree, but I don't use it as a reason to spread bullshit.)

BullyWiiPlaza

Nintendo Hacking <3
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Oh wow, a CS degree. That makes me respect you even less.

Most of my "forks" are local repositories where I write my own changes and then submit them back upstream. Have you ever submitted anything to a major project?

And I highly doubt "thousands" of people have used your crap.

And finally, in my experience, Linux software crashes a good deal less than Windows software does, but that doesn't matter because you have a CS degree, right? (For what it's worth, I have a Computer Engineering degree, but I don't use it as a reason to spread bullshit.)
Awww, you can't face reality. Well, not all of my software is listed there since some is not open source. You're in no position to call something crap when you only made one unique project to view ROM properties lmfao. Nice file reading and shell API calls. So hard. Yet what about that "so called bullshit" I'm spreading. Point it out already without failing to grasp the point made?

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Awww, you can't face reality. Well, not all of my software is listed there since some is not open source. You're in no position to call something crap when you only made one unique project to view ROM properties lmfao. Nice file reading and shell API calls. So hard. Yet what about that "so called bullshit" I'm spreading. Point it out already without failing to grasp the point made?
So hard but you can't seem to do it.

I think I will go with everyone else who's already put you on ignore for spreading Fake News. Have a nice day.

BullyWiiPlaza

Nintendo Hacking <3
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So hard but you can't seem to do it.

I think I will go with everyone else who's already put you on ignore for spreading Fake News. Have a nice day.
Eh, I didn't try but you're of course too ignorant. There is no fake news unless you mean the one you were trying to spread in your last couple posts. Fine. Go and run already, coward. :P

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I will continue ignoring for sanity's sake.
The only problem I see is that other users would get confused by all the fake claims you spit out.
I am a little puzzled that you have a CS degree yet you don't seem to have a clue how widely is Linux used professionally in the industry.
But well, any idiot holds a CS degree nowadays, I mean even I myself among many degrees hold a master in CS.
I suppose you finished your bachelor and are still doing your master or something, so you're still not working in the industry. It is the only way I can explain how could you be so oblivious and make such claims.

brickmii82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I will continue ignoring for sanity's sake.
The only problem I see is that other users would get confused by all the fake claims you spit out.
I am a little puzzled that you have a CS degree yet you don't seem to have a clue how widely is Linux used professionally in the industry.
But well, any idiot holds a CS degree nowadays, I mean even I myself among many degrees hold a master in CS.
I suppose you finished your bachelor and are still doing your master or something, so you're still not working in the industry. It is the only way I can explain how could you be so oblivious and make such claims.
Ouch! I start school in August for an Associates Degree in CS :sad:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1