What else should I do to my Xbox now?

imtony

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just softmodded it with Evo X by using the Splinter Cell Exploit. I was wondering what I should install on this baby to get the most out of it. I've had my xbox for about 5 years now and never modded it or anything and now I want to go crazy with it! How much space does the Xbox default harddrive have? Thanks!

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Xbox drives are supposedly 10 gigs although only formatted for 8. You can increase the size using this method (I did it but be careful and back up anything important as there is a chance you will lose it):
http://www.xbox-scene.com/articles/formatf.php
The site behind it http://www.xbox-scene.com/xbox-tutorials.php?showall=1 also has a load of good guides. Be warned some are quite out of date so reading and then applying using "modern" stuff is often what is required.
Decent single layer (aka half a series if done properly) writeable discs are throwaway money these days though.
Replacing a drive with a larger one is not too difficult either and although you may have to split the drive across a partition or two you can still merge them together in xbmc.
Games are anywhere from half a CD to full dual layer (although rips exist and are easy to do).

As for what to do the entire xbox library appears on usenet every few months it seems which is a good start.
http://www.abgx.net/ (decent release list for most consoles)

Media player:
aside from "high" res h264 it plays everything as well as most PCs (certainly the holy trinity of avi, mkv and ogm). Get a remote though as it makes life quite nice (I found one for £5 in a shop a few months back). t3ch xbmc builds are the usual standard. (usual no linking stuff applies however for MS SDK built homebrew like this)

Emulators: snes, megadrive/genesis and back can be done near flawlessly and n64 and PS1 have more than a few playable titles.

Build a USB adapter: get a USB extension cable and then it is a simple case of soldering red to red and so on until you are out of wires in the extension (the xbox lead has another wire that does not pose a problem here). Only USB sticks the use the official spec work (and 4 gigs is the limit as I recall) but they are not uncommon. Bonus is you can also use the xbox pad on your PC: http://www.redcl0ud.com/xbcd.html
Where to solder is an odd one, I favour at the breakaway section although higher up and replacing a mem card port has been done as has replacing a port in the xbox with a USB port (the ports are just USB by a different shape as you may have guessed).

Get a network cable and your PC able to use it. Sure you can use discs and USB (it is 1.1 so speeds tend to hover around 400kbytes a second) but FTP is probably the easiest way. xbmc also supports streaming by just about every protocol used today.

For all the software stuff I suggest AID aka auto installer deluxe (there is a good chance you used softmod installer deluxe for the modding). It also comes with PC tools for saves, FTP (although filezilla works well for me) and ISO handling/multi game per disc making and just about everything else you probably care to do.

Enjoy, I certainly have.

zidane_genome

My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If you have a large library of MPG/AVI movies, or a large collection of Photos and Music, get the XBox Media Center (XBMC) as your dash... I've had it for quite a while now.

By connecting the xbox to your home network, you can watch movies from a PC, listen to you music collection, or even view your photos. It has a intergrated File browser, so you can even copy one or two games from the disc's to the HD (and delete when you want) so they load 50x faster (Halo 2 loads almost instantly!)

legendofphil

Phil no Densetsu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The size of the HDD is dependant on the model Xbox you have, the earlier ones were 8GB and the latter ones were 10GB formatted to 8GB.

I would highly recommend XBMC, it works for loading music, images, videos and games from the network (excluding games) or HDD. I have 2 Xbox's running XBMC and tried it yesterday on my PC but it gave me a BSOD.

matriculated

Trophies
Website
www.nubecoder.com
XP
Country
Canada
Another vote for XBMC. Just hook that baby up to your network and play all your media off your PC or use as a good upscaling DVD player. The only problem is that the Xbox can't handle HD video.

imtony

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How do I install XBMC on my xbox? and is burning games on dvd's better then swapping out the harddrive ? Thanks!

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Xbmc is built with the (leaked) microsoft SDK which is not licensed to homebrew people. There is a fully homebrew SDK available but it is not quite as nice (it works but the MS one is arguably better) and by the time it got good enough for people to use the SDK MS made was used almost exclusively for all homebrew, each of which would require a fairly significant rewrite.
Still
There are many ways to install xbmc and you have two options as to how it works:
XBMC as a dashboard (i.e. it boots to xbmc)
XBMC as an app (i.e. you run it like you run an emulator, app or game).
Personally I like xbmc (I use the 360 lookalike skin mainly) as a dashboard.

The easiest way I find is to use AID (autoinstaller deluxe) to install it (the most recent AID has a really nice version though) and then use the upgrade script with a network connection.

Look around the xbox and you will probably see a .xbe file or two. One of these is the dashboard and will need to be replaced, there are a couple of ways this could go down though so I suggest you read
http://xbmc.org/wiki/?title=As_a_Dashboard

Upgrading can be done by script or by FTP/some other transfer method.
The advantage of FTP is you can drop skins if you want the space.

As for discs vs drive (I assume network is out of the question) there is a bit of a debate.
Drive: you can dial up a series, show, film, album..... whenever you like (hence the get a remote part) and aside from the electricity (and if you count it wear on hardware) it is free,
Disc: assuming you have a good drive (some of the earlier xboxes are not so good http://www.xbreporter.com/xboxdvddrivecomparison.php ). You burn discs though which have the advantage of being able to be used by near enough everyone (who can not play a bog standard avi these days).
Personally I strike a line between HDD (I tend to take my xbox with me when I go places), discs (I like a lot of shows but only watch them once every couple of years), my USB stick (it is only a gig but for hot off the press stuff it is great) and network (nice but I can not always use it).

Games (as in official). Sometimes they are quite big (later games went well over 7 gigs although rips exist).
Trainers are easier to apply as are hacks, courtesy of the xbox not being very big in Japan you are probably not waiting on too many exclusives to be translated.

imtony

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would I be able to burn some games that are smaller then 700 mb on CDs and make it able to work on my xbox? Or would that not work? Thanks.

greyhound

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I installed the Xecuter 3 at the start of 2006 and it's still going strong.

I've never had to burn a game to DVD to play it, I whacked a 120gb hard drive in there and just store games and movies on that. When I can't be arsed to load up filezilla and transfer files you can stream music and video from a network share.

I definitely recommend XBMC as your default dashboard, initially I used evox and there really is no comparison. You should check out the large amount of scripts that are available for XBMC too, TV guides and stream feeds galore. Another useful application for remote control of XBMC is Dillama, an NDS homebrew application.

Also get some emulators on there, I have a PSX, SNES, NES and Mega Drive at the minute.

imtony

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I am thinking about getting a harddrive for my Xbox now. I was wondering whats the easiest way to upgrade the hard drive? And does xbox use SATA or IDE thanks. and I'm dling AID 4.2 to install XBMC on the xbox.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
xbox 1 IDE although some have reported SATA adapters as working.
Drive replacement
http://xguides.xbox-scene.com/tikiwiki/tik...HDM+for+dummies
List of drives working or not:
http://xboxdrives.x-pec.com/?p=list
It is said everywhere and chances are you have already seen it but back up the EEPROM (email it to yourself as well sort of backup).
Modchips are easier to back up the drive but it is still damn easy otherwise. The xbox uses torx screws but they are simple enough to get these days.

700 meg games: fairly rare for a good one although it clocks about a third of all releases.
Not full list but a start.
http://www.abgx.net/filename/?ch=0&bin...amp;x=0&y=0
You could rip games (delete/substitute/recompress films levels.....) though but you could equally use one of the many multigame ISO tools to do the same thing.

imtony

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm I'm thinking about a 500gb harddrive..but it seems like a lot of work just getting it to work lol..

Prime

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Sorry!

It is in the 360 forum
huh.gif
unsure.gif
wacko.gif

Site & Scene News