What do you think the most overrated movie of all time is?

Raika

uguu
Trophies
XP
Country
Haven't watched any movies since ages ago so I can't say. But...

I'm not saying that it's bad, but I feel that Avatar is a little too overhyped. I remember when it first came out people at my school were like talking non-stop about it for weeks, and I was like mindfucked. @_@

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
The Godfather, i watched it when i was a kid on video tape and i didn't get into it, i was thinking of buying the whole collection remastered on dvd but i am not sure if i would watch it or not, i prefer goodfellas and scarface much much better imo.

also die hard 4.0 was a disappointment, it was ok but a bit too cliche and bruce willis is getting to old to make anymore movies.

recently announced a new terminator, now that will be a TOTAL FAILURE arnie is way too old to make movies, look at how bad indianna jones and the crystal skull went, harrison ford really did show his age in that film, a BIG no no!

KingdomBlade

Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)
Trophies
Website
meekpicture.blogspot.com
XP
Country
jalaneme said:
The Godfather, i watched it when i was a kid on video tape and i didn't get into it, i was thinking of buying the whole collection remastered on dvd but i am not sure if i would watch it or not, i prefer goodfellas and scarface much much better imo.

Same as what my cousin said. Her fault for reading the book and setting her expectations extremely high. Watch it in conjunction with 2 and pay attention, it's good. Just don't watch 3. Not good. Especially the Sofia Coppola cameo... *brrrr*, she's a good director but her father should have brought her away from the acting.

Another that was pretty overrated I thought was Braveheart.

Dylan

100 MILES AND RUNNIN'
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
I'm sure i'd agree with most of the general suggestions in this thread (except the lord of the rings call, shame on you dude) but I haven't even bothered seeing them. What I will add to the list is BLADE RUNNER. Not into it. It's more of a cult classic than giant overhyped thing but it still sucks.

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
Anything by Uwe Boll. Simply calling it a movie instantly pushes it into the dangerously overrated area. I prefer to think of them as turds in disk form.

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
Zorua said:
Avatar obviously. The animation was epic but the story sucked.

The story didn't suck, so much as it failed for being a rehash of Dances with Wolves, which in itself was a rehash of Pocahontas. I think South Park summed it up best by naming it Dances With Smurfs.

KingdomBlade

Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)
Trophies
Website
meekpicture.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Blaze163 said:
Zorua said:
Avatar obviously. The animation was epic but the story sucked.

The story didn't suck, so much as it failed for being a rehash of Dances with Wolves, which in itself was a rehash of Pocahontas. I think South Park summed it up best by naming it Dances With Smurfs.
I think you got that mixed up... Pocahontas was released in 1995 whilst Dances With Wolves was in 1990. Besides, Pocahontas was one of the most mediocre Disney animated films in history. Unless you mean the original Pocahontas story, the one with John Rolfe.

ChaseRahl

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
MFDC12 said:
Superbad.
No question about it to me.
Got the humor, my type of humor too. Didn't laugh once.
Yet all my friends say 'its the funniest movie EVER'

This concept confuses me. Does anyone else have trouble with the idea of classifying something as "your type of humor" and then in the same breath saying you didn't laugh?

Edit: Makes me think of one of my favorite lines from the show Freaks and Geeks (one of my favorite shows). "I don't like jokes, I don't find them funny"

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Blaze163 said:
Anything by Uwe Boll. Simply calling it a movie instantly pushes it into the dangerously overrated area. I prefer to think of them as turds in disk form.

Apologies if you were going for some any rating is overrating sort of thing but well see the first half of the sentence. Looking at IMDB I do not appear to have seen any of his films though, some have said some of his later works are not quite as awful so I might even have a look.

Also "disc form"- do you really still(?) think of films as coming on discs? (thinking something along the lines of first entry on http://www.cracked.com/article_19109_6-thi...n-wont-get.html ).

@ChaseRahl because having a taste in food, games, literary works, sexual partners, friends, films, cars, technology, clothes..... is an innately bad thing and even among those things like might enjoy can their not be things that render them unlike able?
Keeping with the comedy theme I might enjoy puns but it does not mean I have to crack a smile at every one.

I also strongly disliked Superbad.

qlum

Posting when needed
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Inception
don't get me wrong I don't think it's a bad movie but it really isn't anything that good or memorable and it's just another action movie to me it most definitely not a movie that should be in the top 10 best movies of all time there are far to many really good movies for that. I can't really say most overrated movie of all time as I havn't seen all the high rated movies so I can only judge from what movies I have seen, the same counts for everyone else here.

avatar/titanic are also heavily overrated

boktor666

Gbatemp's official Solar Boy™ Is Back!
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
phoenix1234 said:
The Expendables..... too many major stars n not enough actin, totaly crap.... and Arnie n Bruce were in the film for like half a minute
this... Like Bam, Boom, blow all shit up, and the fight for "freeing the girl", then blow shit up afterwards, worthless.. Oh and that one movie.. whats it called.... Beowulf. Good story, although it was overrated.

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Ok, I'm sorta expecting some hate but here goes what I can think of on the spot.

Citizen Kane.
American Graffiti/Star Wars/Anything by George Lucas.
Rear Window.
Breakfast at Tiffanys.
Any Dracula that isn't Bela Lugosi.

KingdomBlade

Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)
Trophies
Website
meekpicture.blogspot.com
XP
Country
cwstjdenobs said:
Citizen Kane.
American Graffiti

I think I'm dying.

Just kidding, no hate here... I just like both a lot. (Citizen Kane = Good as hell, American Graffiti = One of the best teen/coming of age movies evah IMO)

You reminded me of another one though. Star Wars. They were good, but I don't think that they were deserving of that huge a fanbase. The amount of support it gets is just irrational to me. The film was great (ranks among my top 10 sci-fi films actually), but it's not the best movie in the world guys. Imagine if 2001: A Space Odyssey had a gigantic fanbase at that point in time... maybe Kubrick might have actually decided to make a sequel himself. (although I doubt that due to his supposed nature)

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
KingdomBlade said:
I think I'm dying.

Lol, but I wasn't saying bad, just overrated, as the OP asked.

EDIT: 2001, how could I forget that. But I don't like Arthur C Clarke so it's probably more to do with that. I don't know if that's because of his arrogance and writing style or that he's a self confessed peaderist who thinks it's good for the young boys.

EDIT the second: Just to prove that I aint trollin http://www.rediff.com/news/1998/feb/02clarke.htm . Amazing how this shit can get easily forgotten.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: ahh nothing beats a coffee disaronno at work