Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Mum and Dad. More interesting is what do you call your grandparents. I had mumma/papa (both now dead) and nan/pa.
I don't think it is normal at all to call your parents by their names. I get confused sometimes when mum talks about "dad" because sometimes she means my dad (her husband) and sometimes her father (my grandfather)!

Last edited by Quantumcat,

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
It's quite a complicated one for me.
My parents are both dead.

But I lived with my uncle and my aunt more recently, and they earned the nicknames "môman" and "pôpa".
First started as a jokingly manner to call them my legal parents, but it stuck since then.

Reactions: Quantumcat

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
It's quite a complicated one for me.
My parents are both dead.

But I lived with my uncle and my aunt more recently, and they earned the nicknames "môman" and "pôpa".
First started as a jokingly manner to call them my legal parents, but it stuck since then.
Sorry to hear that! Glad you have a good relationship with your aunt and uncle though.

Reactions: VinsCool

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Parent (Addressing to, or talking about them to another family member) :
Maman (mom)
Papa (dad)

Parent (talking about them to someone outside of family circle)
Mère (my mother)
Père (my Father)

Great parent (both addressing to and talking about them within family circle)
Mémé (not sure there's a word in english),
pépé (same, most close would be grandma and grandpa)

Though some people prefer using "mamy" and "papy" instead, as "mémé/pépé" could be pejorative word to designate "old peoples".

Great parent (talking about them to someone outside of family circle)
Grand mère (great mother)
Grand père (Great father)

uncle : tonton (within family), or just using the word "uncle" when talking about him with someone else
aunt : tata (or aunt, for same reason as above)

I already got someone asking me why I don't use "papa" instead of "father" when talking about my father.
some people are saying "my papa", even to strangers. I find it too personal and private to use "papa" and prefer using "father".
But I never call my father "Father" when I talk to him directly, it's seen as "aristocratic" and high society, noble.
but everyone has a different approach and sensibility with that. there's no definitive French way to address your family, some people are even inventing names.

some are even calling them bad names, or insulting, calling names. I always find that really weird and being disrespectful.
things like "old one!" or worse.

Last edited by Cyan,

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
There was a guy in my college class that talked to his mom on the phone and said mommy.
Everyone in class looked at him like a weirdo. He was soooo socially awkward.
He was like the most sheltered person I have ever seen in my life.

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
in the Southern/midwest part of the USA, boys tend to say "dad" and girls tend to say "daddy"and same for "mom" and "mommy". Also with "yes/no-sir" and "yes/no-mam" being required when speaking to an adult or any superior. In the north, it seems to be more common to use the parent's name and "yes/no sir" and "yes/no mam" being reserved for older folks or older relatives, if at all. My knowledge of the USA west coast is a bit lacking. Though I know california calls everyone "Dude", so I'd go with that for mom/dad there :P

Last edited by osaka35,

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
in the Southern/midwest part of the USA, "dad" and "mom" are common, usually with "yes/no-sir" and "yes/no-mam" being required when speaking to an adult or any superior. In the north, it seems to be more common to use the parent's name and "yes/no sir" and "yes/no mam" being reserved for older folks or older relatives, if at all. My knowledge of the USA west coast is a bit lacking. Though I know california calls everyone "Dude", so I'd go with that for mom/dad there :P
Calling your mom dude?

Phemeto

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm weird I guess, i call my parents Mother and Father. Been doing it since I was like 14. got in a Mechwarrior clan that was heavily militarized, and they habits fell onto me

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Though I know california calls everyone "Dude", so I'd go with that for mom/dad there :P
calling every one dude...
thumb.png

Damn, I'm making meme joke now (meme, not my mémé!)

Last edited by Cyan,

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im from California and I say mom and dad. No one here calls their parents dude.

Dude your crazy.
My california friends lied to me? :P hmm...are you from northern california? I know northern california is practically a different state than southern california.

D

Deleted-355425

i know someone who calls his parents by their first names.. its weird to hear.

Ricken

Searching for the air to breathe~
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
More often than not I'll call my mother Auds, short of her first name. We treat each other more like close friends than we do family ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

MrMcTiller

GBATemp's Tiller
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I call them:

Mom - Mom

Dad - Dad

Grandma - Grandma

Papa - Grandpa

I don't live with my parents. I live with my grandparents. I haven't seen my mom for 11 months. I haven't seen my dad for 4 months. But my mom lives 5 miles away. I don't understand why she doesn't come visit. Oh well... That is my childhood. I am only 14.

Reactions: Ricken

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
in the Southern/midwest part of the USA, boys tend to say "dad" and girls tend to say "daddy"and same for "mom" and "mommy". Also with "yes/no-sir" and "yes/no-mam" being required when speaking to an adult or any superior. In the north, it seems to be more common to use the parent's name and "yes/no sir" and "yes/no mam" being reserved for older folks or older relatives, if at all. My knowledge of the USA west coast is a bit lacking. Though I know california calls everyone "Dude", so I'd go with that for mom/dad there :P
I always find it creepy watching American movies and seeing teenage girls call their father "daddy". Good to know it is normal, and the movie aren't trying to make them look like lolitas or something!

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
My california friends lied to me? :P hmm...are you from northern california? I know northern california is practically a different state than southern california.
Im from Southern California. I have the Southern California accent.

I guess its like saying Hommie, Dawg, Bro, dude. Its probably gunna die out.
But I never say it. Or call my parents that.

You know what, I probably haven't noticed.
People probably say it all the time but since its so natural I just never thought about it.
Im gunna have to pay attention now. Im reading Californians say it all the time but just realized without noticing. So its like automatic. Ingrained.

I hate the Cholo accent though here in Cali. Theres different accents since we have lots of Mexicans here.
Theres even asian accents. And I have the SoCal accent. So lots of accents mixed in.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I always find it creepy watching American movies and seeing teenage girls call their father "daddy". Good to know it is normal, and the movie aren't trying to make them look like lolitas or something!
If you call your parents, mommy or daddy, you'll be made fun of in California.

Last edited by SG854,

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im from Southern California. I have the Southern California accent.

I guess its like saying Hommie, Dawg, Bro, dude. Its probably gunna die out.
But I never say it. Or call my parents that.

You know what, I probably haven't noticed.
People probably say it all the time but since its so natural I just never thought about it.
Im gunna have to pay attention now. Im reading Californians say it all the time but just realized without noticing. So its like automatic. Ingrained.

I hate the Cholo accent though here in Cali. Theres different accents since we have lots of Mexicans here.
Theres even asian accents. And I have the SoCal accent. So lots of accents mixed in.
You'll certainly have the benefit of experience. I only have my friend's words to go on. They're transplants, and moved to cali when they were adults, so it could just be they have a limited experience and extrapolated a bit too much :P Let me know if I can tell them they're idiots or not lol

wafflestick

(insert title here)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dad isn't in the picture but I call my mum 'Sanchez' for that is her last name and it kind of started as a joke and kinda stuck occasionally I do call her 'ama' short for 'mama' in spanish

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1