What normal stuff do you buy that you will only purchase the brand-name or high quality version of, no matter the price?

WalterSlovotsky

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think a sign of adulting is being able to buy the BIG bag of beef jerky without flinching at the cost. I'm cheap, on most things. Don't care about brand names on clothes or shoes. Designer labels have never meant anything to me.

But, mustard? Has to be French's or better. Gulden's when it's Dijon (generic dijon mustard is always too vinegary or too spicy or too coarse).

Lunch meat. Armour, Buddig and Land O Frost are HORRIBLE. Guarantee you that in a blind test taste, 90% of people couldn't tell any slice of Buddig meat apart from any other. Once you get your own fresh meat sliced at the deli, you'll never go back to Oscar Mayer.

What are some things that you absolutely refuse to compromise on, to save a buck?

Last edited by WalterSlovotsky,

RAHelllord

Literally the wurst.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Shoes, underwear, socks to an extent, bags, protective equipment of all kinds, tools (screw drivers, soldering irons, that sort of thing), fans and heatsinks for my PC, Maultaschen.

Effectively anything that needs to clear a certain level of standard to keep me or my stuff safe and comfortable. Anything else I usually don't mind if it's cheaper because it doesn't matter as much if it breaks at a bad moment, but if for example a bag breaks at a bad moment suddenly everything in it also breaks, and that's an expense I'd like to avoid.
Though I don't buy big brands either, I'm not buying Gucci or Nike shoes, I get mine from a local manufacturer. They're not cheap but my first pair lasted me an easy 5 years until I've walked off the profile. Never even got a hole to let water in.
Socks so they last a little longer, tools so they don't break my things or don't burn out randomly, fans so my PC stays silent, Maultaschen because they're just more flavorful.

Reactions: WalterSlovotsky

WalterSlovotsky

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cheese. Once you abandon the grocery store brand and you get some of the GOOD shit, you can't ever go back. Tastes like plastic.

Physical digital storage. SanDisk or nothing when it comes to SD cards. You WILL regret it if you buy cheap memory.

Razors. Yeah, you CAN get five triple-blade razors for a dollar, each one will work once, and you will be ripping your face apart after the first shave. The expensive ones are buttery smooth, even if you have some scruff.

Reactions: User154 and Chary

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
But, mustard? Has to be French's or better.
bigdaddy-hell.gif

What are some things that you absolutely refuse to compromise on, to save a buck?
Anything that I know I'm going to use all the time.
Fortunately to me, it's not much.
Not because I'm a cheapskate, but because I really don't need much.

RAHelllord

Literally the wurst.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Razors. Yeah, you CAN get five triple-blade razors for a dollar, each one will work once, and you will be ripping your face apart after the first shave. The expensive ones are buttery smooth, even if you have some scruff.
Honestly? If you want the best shave in your life abandon all expensive razors and get yourself a simple straight razor / safety razor, a couple dozen blades for literal cents per blade, and some nice shaving cream. You'll be getting a cleaner result for a fraction of the price. Only downside is you have to relearn how to shave correctly as the angle is a bit different.
I use a razor from Böker, blades from Astra, and Geo F. Trumper shaving cream. Also a cheap badger brush to whip up the foam and a generic holder to keep all that stuff in one place. Works great, fast, reliable, and after the initial investment every following shave sets you back about 1c a day if you swap blades once per week.

WalterSlovotsky

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly? If you want the best shave in your life abandon all expensive razors and get yourself a simple straight razor / safety razor, a couple dozen blades for literal cents per blade, and some nice shaving cream. You'll be getting a cleaner result for a fraction of the price. Only downside is you have to relearn how to shave correctly as the angle is a bit different.
I use a razor from Böker, blades from Astra, and Geo F. Trumper shaving cream. Also a cheap badger brush to whip up the foam and a generic holder to keep all that stuff in one place. Works great, fast, reliable, and after the initial investment every following shave sets you back about 1c a day if you swap blades once per week.
You, sir, are on a higher level of class than I likely will ever be. I am trailer trash. Not broke by any means; I am hoarding every penny I earn. But, I am not badger brush Don Draper classy.

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Only buy feather brand safety razors, name brand shoes, name brand sweat pants, pickles, yogurt, face wash

I think that's about it

Edit: I am not even fancy about using a safety razor, you can literally still use barbasol

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
Shoes, 100%. I used to wear Converse because it was the early 2000s, and well, duh, everyone's wearing them. Flattest, least comfortable shoe. When I realized they were causing me to kinda limp when I walked, I bought a nice pair of sneakers and never looked back.

Milk is another one. Whole, organic, A2 milk. I don't really play into the whole "organic" scam, except for milk. Nice quality milk just makes everything better, whether it's for coffee or for baking/cooking/anything.

Toilet paper. Really just self-explanatory. I'll never go back to the dark days of buying cheapo airplane/jail-quality TP.

x65943

Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Shoes, 100%. I used to wear Converse because it was the early 2000s, and well, duh, everyone's wearing them. Flattest, least comfortable shoe. When I realized they were causing me to kinda limp when I walked, I bought a nice pair of sneakers and never looked back.

Milk is another one. Whole, organic, A2 milk. I don't really play into the whole "organic" scam, except for milk. Nice quality milk just makes everything better, whether it's for coffee or for baking/cooking/anything.

Toilet paper. Really just self-explanatory. I'll never go back to the dark days of buying cheapo airplane/jail-quality TP.
name brand milk? I've never actually tried that in my whole life I think. Is it more creamy? I did have milk in Ireland that tasted like a literal cow that was quite gross.

Also:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/milk-is-bad-for-you.414719/

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think a sign of adulting is being able to buy the BIG bag of beef jerky without flinching at the cost. I'm cheap, on most things. Don't care about brand names on clothes or shoes. Designer labels have never meant anything to me.

But, mustard? Has to be French's or better. Gulden's when it's Dijon (generic dijon mustard is always too vinegary or too spicy or too coarse).

Lunch meat. Armour, Buddig and Land O Frost are HORRIBLE. Guarantee you that in a blind test taste, 90% of people couldn't tell any slice of Buddig meat apart from any other. Once you get your own fresh meat sliced at the deli, you'll never go back to Oscar Mayer.

Mostly technology. Storage mediums especially.

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

x65943

Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Whisky
Wristwatches
Firearms
Knives
Kitchen appliances
Automobiles

Pretty much anything in the "durable goods" category, plus the whisky of course. Cheap liquor is a false economy.

I'm with you, @Chary. I only buy "Homestead Creamery."

https://www.homesteadcreameryinc.com/
now that you mention it I did buy a really crappy gun "hi-point" and I would never do that again

second gun was a glock

• Wow
Reactions: AncientBoi

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
now that you mention it I did buy a really crappy gun "hi-point" and I would never do that again

second gun was a glock

With age comes wisdom.

HK even better by the way, but mostly in an aesthetic, fit-n-finish kind of way. Doesn't do anything better, just better ergo design and precision build quality.

Reactions: x65943

WalterSlovotsky

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How did I forget pickles?

Claussen or better. Mt. Olive, or anything that was ever boiled, is straight garbage. Has to be that deli-style, bright whitish cucumber with that excellent snap, super cold. Not a sad, floppy, limp, half-warm greenish-yellow pickle.

Also, mac & cheese. Once you try something decent like Annie's, you'll never eat Kraft or store-brand elbow noods with crappy cheese powder again. The deluxe shells and cheese are where it's at.

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: Hanafuda and x65943

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum