Doomsday Forte

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well, I ended up with a 16GB iPod Touch as a present this morning. Apart from the shock..I'm left wondering for what exactly I can use it for.

Mind you, I already have an iPod. 30GB Video series, that I was actually considering selling because I got fed up with how you can only put music onto it with iTunes, and I RockBox'ed it and haven't been happier. Now, I've checked and you can't RockBox the Touch so its use is greatly diminished in my eyes. What I really want to know is, are there any redeeming features I may be overlooking that would warrant me keeping it? Of course, music and all are out of the picture unless Apple magically decided that you can have music on the drive and it will pick up on it, but haw, I suppose not. I don't see myself using it for pictures or video, and I don't see much use out of the WiFi aspects, even the Maps thing (unless it truly works "anywhere" which I doubt).

Thanks in advance.

kevenka

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well, it's just a good multi media device, you can listen to more music, watch online videos, download homebrew games and books, check your mail. I guess...it's like a mini computer but lasts a bit shorter and doesn't have flash.

Ferrariman

Hip-Flop and cRap
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sell it to me
biggrin.gif

Doomsday Forte

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Raiyu said:
Jailbreak it.
Uh, it's not an iPhone. =P

kevenka said:
Well, it's just a good multi media device, you can listen to more music, watch online videos, download homebrew games and books, check your mail. I guess...it's like a mini computer but lasts a bit shorter and doesn't have flash.
Hmm, that is rather disenheartening. I already have a laptop, and while the Touch is smaller and junk, I don't need anything redundant at all here.

Ferrariman
Sell it to me biggrin.gif
No! XD They're (my parents that is) is talking a trade-in but now it's what exactly...but for now, I want to determine if I can use this for anything at all.

m3rox

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Doomsday Forte said:

Same exact thing except the Iphone has a phone in it. You can Jailbreak the Ipod touch and run homebrew and stuff just like you can the Iphone.

Rock Raiyu

Clock Up
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
m3rox said:
Doomsday Forte said:

Same exact thing except the Iphone has a phone in it. You can Jailbreak the Ipod touch and run homebrew and stuff just like you can the Iphone.
Yes, what he said. Doesn't matter if its an iPhone or iPod Touch, it can be jailbreaked. I think the regular iPods can jailbreak too.

Doomsday Forte

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well, still debating here. I've finally installed iTunes and I've looked at some of the apps they have, both free and paid (I have $12.90 remaining, hahaha). It's starting to look more lucrative, but I'm deciding between keeping the Touch, or trading it in for an Xbox or a Blackberry phone.

The biggest thing that bothers me about the Touch is that it's only WiFi enabled. It would be extremely handy to have it work like a phone, but that would make it an iPhone and...yeah. It's not.

I'm starting to lean more towards keeping it now. Time to deliberate some more.

JDMEVOIXMR

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Keep it, I sold my 1st Gen 8GB Touch a while back, I miss that thing, I loved going online on it and playing games. If you do ever trade it, I'd only trade it for a 360 Pro 60GB or a Blackberry Bold, otherwise, it's not worth trading imo. It's also good on long trips if you wanna watch movies, I suggest get a case for it as well.

SwitchEasy
a.jpg

iSkin Duo
touchduo_overview_03.jpg

Jasonage

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Well I've been using mine to download a load of free apps, also just keep it in your pocket for when you go out, if there's a wifi point near you can browse the net, check your emails, go on msn etc

I typed this with my iPod xD

Doomsday Forte

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well, lucky me, I've already opened it so I'm now stuck here. Thanks for the help everyone.

Now. Time to find good applications to fill this thing with.
biggrin.gif

So far, I am rather impressed with it. I hate the smudgy fingerprint thing, but that's a bit unavoidable until I get a screen protector or make my fingers stop generating delicious oil. I just wish it were not limited to just WiFi since it seems a lot more useful on a phone network, but this isn't an iPhone, so...

Maybe when places are really opening up on their WiFi services, this will get more use. All in all, a good present. Thanks. =P

squirt1000

Would rather have a cup of Tea!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Ive got a 32gb touch 2nd gen sat here at the mo, Not been used apart from making sure it works! I do like it but without it being jailbroken its not as usefull as it could be!!
smile.gif

thegamesnurd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you would like to use it as a phone, there are apps such as Fring and Skype. As for the microphone problem you can buy one. (I recomend switcheasy thumbtack microphones.)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: They need to add air tags to they airbuds..