Homebrew Question What are the best methods for DS emulation thats not ran on emunand?

xZaggin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
hi guys,

I use my switch a lot for online gameplay so i don't want to risk getting banned by using emunand (correct me if im wrong here or if there are other methods)
my current setup is by running Lakka, I do face issues regularly though.
For some reason my n64 core just doesnt work no more, and melonDS doesn't work at all (which i heard was the best) in general DS emulation is pretty shitty with DSemMU (?) its unplayable.

I would like to know how I can fix my melonDS core, I have the bios and all necessary files however I don't know where to place them so I placed them everywhere. still doesn't work. I guess the pre-built-in core gets loaded first or something? but it never opens it just crashes.

Are there better emulation options/methods I can use?
If anyone knows how to setup melonDS on lakka, let me know! thanks dudes

campbell0505

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I use LineageOS, as you cannot get banned through it. It’s just android. I installed Drastic Emulator (does cost money though, not sure if there are other good free alternatives) and it seems to run games well. I haven’t used it too much as I mainly only play PSP on lineageos.

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Yes, Switchroot (== Android on the Switch) (== LineageOS) is the most basic and a good way to do so.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/nintendo-switch/nintendo-switch-news-guides-discussion--development

https://gbatemp.net/threads/switchroot-android.541108/

Then buy Drastic through the Play Store (best DS emulator on Android.)

You need a seperate sdcard for it though. :) Probably. (Unless you are into partitioning your sdcard in a specific way under linux (follow xda subforum instructions).)
-

But the question remains, why you'd want to do it. :)

Setting up emunand is there so you dont get banned from online gaming. First enter in 90DNS into your DNS settings, so contact with Nintendos servers is blocked (for as long as you have that DNS server set). Then follow an Atmosphere emuMMC (== emunand), or you commercial firmwares emunand tutorial to the T.

Then boot into emuMMC, make sure that your 90DNS settings are still in there (dont touch. ;) ). Set a different theme to be able to easily differentiate between original firmware (system nand) and emunand (emuMMC).

Shut down the device, boot up the original firmware and remove 90DNS on the system nand (default firmware) to be able to get online with it again.

Then keep all your homebrew stuff to your emunand (emuMMC) on the sdcard, and it will not be able to connect to Nintendo online (90DNS), keeping your normal Switchs nand clean and able to go online.
-

Setting up Switchroot is less of a hassle probably, but you will have to switch sdcards to use it - probably.

Last edited by notimp,

xZaggin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yes, Switchroot (== Android on the Switch) (== LineageOS) is the most basic and a good way to do so.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/nintendo-switch/nintendo-switch-news-guides-discussion--development

https://gbatemp.net/threads/switchroot-android.541108/

Then buy Drastic through the Play Store (best DS emulator on Android.)

You need a seperate sdcard for it though. :) Probably. (Unless you are into partitioning your sdcard in a specific way under linux (follow xda subforum instructions).)
-

But the question remains, why you'd want to do it. :)

Setting up emunand is there so you dont get banned from online gaming. First enter in 90DNS into your DNS settings, so contact with Nintendos servers is blocked (for as long as you have that DNS server set). Then follow an Atmosphere emuMMC (== emunand), or you commercial firmwares emunand tutorial to the T.

Then boot into emuMMC, make sure that your 90DNS settings are still in there (dont touch. ;) ). Set a different theme to be able to easily differentiate between original firmware (system nand) and emunand (emuMMC).

Shut down the device, boot up the original firmware and remove 90DNS on the system nand (default firmware) to be able to get online with it again.

Then keep all your homebrew stuff to your emunand (emuMMC) on the sdcard, and it will not be able to connect to Nintendo online (90DNS), keeping your normal Switchs nand clean and able to go online.
-

Setting up Switchroot is less of a hassle probably, but you will have to switch sdcards to use it - probably.

i already tried this, unfortunately android on the switch is very dependent on the SD card speed, I'm currently using an old 32gig one i found ln my old 3ds which is at least 7 years old now, and every app crashes before i could do anything...which lead me to lakka which runs pretty well (aside from DS) anyways i will get a better SD eventually and test it out again

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
You are correct. The 'best' sdcard to buy is - a Samsung 128GB (or higher) EVO Plus Class 10 for around 20 USD. Its a U3 class card with fast writing speed and a good price/performance ratio. You could also buy the 64GB varient but it has about a third (if I remember) less write speed.

I bought the 64GB varient before knowing that - and it works, ok. With some room left to be desired. ;) (It usable.)

Dont buy the 32GB variant (much slower writing speed) or any card sub-U3.

cheers

n.

Last edited by notimp,

campbell0505

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
i already tried this, unfortunately android on the switch is very dependent on the SD card speed, I'm currently using an old 32gig one i found ln my old 3ds which is at least 7 years old now, and every app crashes before i could do anything...which lead me to lakka which runs pretty well (aside from DS) anyways i will get a better SD eventually and test it out again
Yeah it's very dependent on SD card speed. I use a Sandisk Extreme 64gb U3 A2 one. I brought mine for $28 AUD (which was the cheapest I could find) a few months ago and I don't regret it, you get your moneys worth (if you get your games in a grey area). The price has seemed to drop now, as I can find them around $20 AUD.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
youre gonna need to cough up enough money for a good 16 gig card or higher for lineageos, depending on how many roms u want.

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Again - issue is writing speed with sdcards. Better flash is usually used on bigger/newer cards.

Samsung Evo Plus 64GB is 11USD used from Amazon (12.30USD new (to be save its not a fake ;) )).
Samsung Evo Plus 128GB is 23 USD form Amazon. (This U3 type card has 30% faster writing speeds than the 64GB variant, if I remember corrently).

Both have writing speeds that are fast enough for Switchroot to be usable.

Playload injector dongle (with jig) is 4-8 USD from Aliexpress (search for switch payload). (Up to 4 weeks waiting time for your shipment.)

Thats all up front cost. Should be managable. :)

Last edited by notimp,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Andy didn't get any catholic toys because they wouldn't go limp when they saw him