Hacking WBFS or NTFS or FAT32

jaouad

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I have been using wbfs for a long time, till today I decided to change it into fat or ntfs.

What do you guys reccomend me?

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
jaouad said:
I have been using wbfs for a long time, till today I decided to change it into fat or ntfs.

What do you guys reccomend me?

If you want to use your hard drive for everything then a single fat32 partition is currently the best.
You can store all the covers etc on there plus emulators etc can use it & there is no need for an sdcard anymore.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
FAT32 all the way. Homebrew only works on that partition size, so it's a no-brainer, really.

The only "issues" with it are that windows formatter doesn't like large drives (solution: use a decent formatting program), and that files larger than 4GB don't work on it (solution: convert iso's to .wbfs files).

jaouad

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
But isn't it that fat32 splits the iso's bigger than 4 gig? Isn't that kind of anoying? I do not use my hdd for homebrew. I have an sd card for that. Is it better if I go for ntfs in that casE?

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
jaouad said:
But isn't it that fat32 splits the iso's bigger than 4 gig? Isn't that kind of anoying?
Yes and no. Converting an iso to .wbfs will not only remove any 'empty data' the iso might have had, but it will split them as well if the data part is larger than 4GB. It's not annoying at all. In fact, with a program like wii backup manager, you won't even notice if games are split. Not while converting, and even less while playing (I honestly cannot tell which of my games are split and which aren't).

Then again, if your SD card never leaves the wii, you can go NTFS as well. If you're not using sneek, triiforce or rawksd, chances are slim you'll run out of space on that thing. And IIRC, wiimc (a multimedia player) can access stuff from NTFS partitions as well.

jaouad

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I indeed do not use any of those programs so I think i'll be safe. Thanks for your time, I really apreciate it. Thanks

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
wishmasterf said:
Only 1 word:

ext4: should be the stablesed, fastest and easiest to use filesystem. cfgusbloader and usbloadergx support that format.

That´s just in case you´re familiar with linux filesystem, but, this format isn´t widely compatible yet.

Besides, most people use windows as their main OS, so FAT/FAT32 is indeed more compatible, even between different OSes == Electronic Devices.

Fishaman P

Speedrunner
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
NTFS.

WBFS can't be used for any other files.

FAT32 has to split the files.

NTFS has no limitations right now. You can even run the app or put the covers on NTFS!

EDIT:
wishmasterf said:
Only 1 word:

ext4: should be the stablesed, fastest and easiest to use filesystem. cfgusbloader and usbloadergx support that format.

As far as I know, CFG only supports ext2fs.

megahunter

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
i use fat32 on my 500gb harddrive, works great only problem i had was to find a program that would format such a big drive to it, but afterwards it's been working like a charm

Wiimm

Developer
Trophies
Website
wiimmfi.de
XP
Country
Germany
EmbraceFiction said:
FAT32 is strongly recommended over WBFS.

WBFS is no longer needed.
Yes that's really true, because WBFS doesn't need any defragmentation tools and because *all* USB loaders supports WBFS in an very fast way and because the management overhead (in size and time) is very small and because there is no need for split files.

I will stay on WBFS!

Blue-K

No right of appeal.
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
Fishaman P said:
wishmasterf said:
Only 1 word:

As far as I know, CFG only supports ext2fs.
Ext2fs = ext2/3/4, as far as I know. And, imo, ext4 best Filesystem in general and for me, since I only use Ubuntu as my OS and the big partition on my HD for Games/Media
yaywii.gif
(now that WiiMC added support for it I'll probably switch soon).

For Users which use Windows, don't want to make partitions and also want the most compatible one with all Apps/Emus, etc., FAT32 is the way to go.

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Wiimm said:
EmbraceFiction said:

Yes that's really true, because WBFS doesn't need any defragmentation tools and because *all* USB loaders supports WBFS in an very fast way and because the management overhead (in size and time) is very small and because there is no need for split files.

I will stay on WBFS!

But sadly, it tend to corrupt drives/partitions on heavy data transfer, modify.

When I lost my 250GB WBFS a year ago, I swear i WOULDN`T ever use it again. Then I used FAT32 and everything worked as it should.

Actually I use NTFS for USB Loaders and works perfectly, this way I can load up tons of data 4GB

wishmasterf

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Australia
Wiimm said:
EmbraceFiction said:

I will stay on WBFS!

I full agree with you, but i love ext4 ... i could marry here if she where a woman.

most of the games i own are on wbfs, but all my isos, wia and wdf files are stored on ext4.

EDIT: would be great to get wdf-support in usbloaders like wbfs...

burritoboy9984

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Coto said:
Wiimm said:
EmbraceFiction said:

I will stay on WBFS!

But sadly, it tend to corrupt drives/partitions on heavy data transfer, modify.

When I lost my 250GB WBFS a year ago, I swear i WOULDN`T ever use it again. Then I used FAT32 and everything worked as it should.

Actually I use NTFS for USB Loaders and works perfectly, this way I can load up tons of data 4GB

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
No, in fact FAT is better. Just because of older/more computer machine flexibility.

And let´s pretend this:

I have a 500GB WBFS formatted drive, and a single game corrupted the whole partition, (meaning freezes in middle gameplay, no loads, no iso -presound from the loader, etc) how ´d you fix this? Use a PC app to 'fix' the WBFS mbr? What about all the other games that have been corrupted? You´d have to re-format entirely your drive in WBFS again, etc..

At least in NTFS/FAT there´s a chance you can recover the mbr or partition flag through various DOS utilities (even if it is unrecoverable), then recover the most games you have through Wii Backup Manager.

Besides that, FAT32 has better compatibility between electronic devices than any other file format. If fragmentation occurs you can fix it easily through Windows95+ ScanDisk/chkdsk utility, or defrag.

wishmasterf

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Australia
Coto said:
No, in fact FAT is better. Just because of older/more computer machine flexibility.

And let´s pretend this:

I have a 500GB WBFS formatted drive, and a single game corrupted the whole partition, (meaning freezes in middle gameplay, no loads, no iso -presound from the loader, etc) how ´d you fix this? Use a PC app to 'fix' the WBFS mbr? What about all the other games that have been corrupted? You´d have to re-format entirely your drive in WBFS again, etc..

At least in NTFS/FAT there´s a chance you can recover the mbr or partition flag through various DOS utilities (even if it is unrecoverable), then recover the most games you have through Wii Backup Manager.

Besides that, FAT32 has better compatibility between electronic devices than any other file format. If fragmentation occurs you can fix it easily through Windows95+ ScanDisk/chkdsk utility, or defrag.

FAT32 is old... NTFS is a big filesystem which isnt open so a 100% cant be done. a 99% is done. ext4 is opensource. you cant create drivers for ervery system you want....

To fix WBFS: try with wimms tooll, there is a check tool. if it cant repair your partition, ask wimm for help. he know very well about wbfs.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll reformat and have a 3tb raid0 m. 2 at least
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lmao that sold out fast
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeet the cat.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Good idea
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i thought everybody knew cocktails are like 75% ice
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah but not like this.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not like they're complaining that their Slurpee is 99% ice or something, but if the cocktail calls for "shot of vodka, shot of vermouth, shot of gin, shot of Campari, three shots of juice, squirt of lemon" and ends up being a thimbleful of booze, that's a problem.
    the funny thing is cocktails in norway are only allowed to have 1 20ml shot of booze
    so..... yeah
    we're used to only having a thimbleful of booze
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Booo.
    same thing if you want whisky on the rocks or something, you can't get a double
    but you could buy as many shots of whisky (or anything else) as you want and ask for a glass of ice and pour them in
    it's dumb
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Maybe.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There was a comparison of the number of Ibuprofen poisonings before and after they limited the maximum dosage per box or per pill (i'll look that up). No limit on the number of boxes you can still buy as many as you want, so people argued it was pointless.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    But the number of (accidental) poisonings dropped because drinking an entire package of ibuprofen pills went from "I need a new liver" to "I need a new box of Ibuprofen".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Here we have ketoprofen that used to be prescription-only because of the risk of toxic dosages, but then they halved the dose per pill and sell them in bottles of six pills apiece instead of twenty and it doesn't need a prescription any more. Yes you can buy more than one bottle but people simply don't.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Usually accidentally overdose of ibuprofen here is from people taking like cold medicine then ibuprofen for a headache and the combination is over what they need
    Veho @ Veho: https://imgur.com/gallery/QQkYnQu