Can I use a USB drive formatted to NTFS for Homebrew Channel?

JamesJr2772

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I just got this USB drive from one of my friends and it's a 64 GB flash drive, the problem is, I don't have a computer at home to format this to FAT32 (I'm forced to use the library's computers to do this and administrative settings don't allow me to use things like Disk Management or Powershell to format the drive and the only options I have are exFAT or NTFS format) and I can't download and run third party software to format the drive either, so my question is, could I use an NTFS flash drive to play my games on my Wii with the Homebrew Channel, or do i have to install a piece of software on my Wii that can read NTFS flash drives? Any help would be great, thanks!
Edit: Sorry guys, I figured out a way to format it, just one more question, if the drive is fat 32 could I play Wiiflow through it ??

Last edited by JamesJr2772,

morning_glory

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Many people have used NTFS with success (so I read). For me it failed mostly. exFAT was worse.

You would need to use "Fat32 GUI Formatter" (there are other apps available) Windows app. Windows (directly) won't be so friendly with Fat32 formatting. If your USB flash drive was 32gb or below, then you should be able to do it in Windows.

To be honest - Stick with USB HDDs (choose wisely !). You'll thank me later.

Reactions: jeannotte

Ouaz

Trophies
XP
Country
France
and I can't download and run third party software to format the drive either

In this case, you can keep it in NTFS, but it will be usable only for Wii games through USB Loader GX.

And you'll need an SD card to run apps through the homebrew channel, as the HBC only detects a FAT32 device (or at least a device with a FAT32 partition set as primary, in 1st position in partition table).

Nintendont does not detect NTFS, so no GC games either.

To summarize:
- SD card (formatted FAT32) with USB Loader GX app on it, launched through HBC
- 64 GB flash drive (NTFS) mounted (possibly manually) in USB Loader GX

Note: also there's a chance your USB flash drive won't be recognized at all, or being too slow. You'll need to test. ^^

Last edited by Ouaz,

morning_glory

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Pending on the PC's admin privileges, I don't believe that "Fat32 GUI Formatter" needs to be installed (runs directly). Try to find the correct "32 or 64" versions to match the PC (I would assume the PC will be 64). Dump it on USB stick & hope you can run it.
Just don't forget that it's on your USB stick, & once you start the format process ... further access won't available, but you could also try to use a spare USB stick or SD card to work from. Surely there's more than one USB port & there's SD access on the PC ?
You should be able to use "HPUSBDisk" the same way. Runs on both "32 & 64".
Both can do the job, but you could also ask one of library staff to format to Fat32 it for you. They wouldn't so cruel, would they ?

Reactions: jeannotte

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @realtimesave, Sup